Chris Brown reports…

He comments on some one-on-one battles, observations from training camp (including Michael Jasper) and a glimpse of the Bills depth chart.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/05/fan-friday-running-qa/

Also for good measure:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/08/05/troup-had-good-1-on-1-day/

Thanks for posting - interesting reading.

I thought so.

He talks about the cornerback battle and the possibility of Aaron Williams breaking into the top two, his take on Marcus Easley's latest injury, how many linebackers he sees making the final roster, whether the Bills have expressed any interest in Jared Gaither, and if they were interested in Zack Miller.

He also comments on Scott Chandler, the situation with the Bills in their last year at SJ Fisher, Aaron Maybin checking in at 228 pounds, Levi Brown's suddenly tenuous situation, How Michael Jasper and Demetrius Bell are looking, and the depth chart on the defensive side of the ball.

"Chris Brown: For a 3-4 defense teams usually carry 8 linebackers with backups for each spot. You’re guess is pretty well on with Merriman, Kelsay, Barnett, Davis and Moats, Shep and Torbor. Guys like Coleman, White, Batten and Maybin will be fighting for one, possibly two spots if they choose to keep 9."

I'll say 9 LB's if one of the older guys doesn't get the Turk.

Coleman makes the 53. He's behind Merriman.

Batten still has PS time but has been impressive in practice. Will likely be PS.

White can be PS.

Who is this Maybin guy?

I thought so.

He talks about the cornerback battle and the possibility of Aaron Williams breaking into the top two, his take on Marcus Easley's latest injury, how many linebackers he sees making the final roster, whether the Bills have expressed any interest in Jared Gaither, and if they were interested in Zack Miller.

He also comments on Scott Chandler, the situation with the Bills in their last year at SJ Fisher, Aaron Maybin checking in at 228 pounds, Levi Brown's suddenly tenuous situation, How Michael Jasper and Demetrius Bell are looking, and the depth chart on the defensive side of the ball.

"Chris Brown: For a 3-4 defense teams usually carry 8 linebackers with backups for each spot. You’re guess is pretty well on with Merriman, Kelsay, Barnett, Davis and Moats, Shep and Torbor. Guys like Coleman, White, Batten and Maybin will be fighting for one, possibly two spots if they choose to keep 9."

I would let Torbor go and keep one of the younger guys with more potential.

Edited by clancynut

I agree c-nut.

Torbor or Davis or Kelsay. Keep Coleman, Moats, and Batten.

I agree that one of the vets gets cut, but I see very little chance it's Kelsay, who will start and the coaches and GM like.

To me, it depends on how well Sheppard plays both of the ILB positions. If he can take on blockers well, then Davis becomes a little more expendable. I think, and I believe the Bills think, that Davis is a better two down run stuffer than Torbor, but Torbor is a much more versatile player in case of injury, as he can play all four of the LB positions. That's a tough choice. If Shep can start sooner than later, I think Davis may go. If he can trouble taking on lead blocks, Davis stays and Torbor may go.

Thanks for depressing me. Kelsay pencilled in as a starter at LB. Just can't comprehend that one.

Kelsay is starting because he is our only LB that can contain the running game. He actually had a really good year last year (for him) as he was in the backfield on a consistent basis. The only problem was he continually got juked by the likes of Eli Manning.

I would let Torbor go and keep one of the younger guys with more potential.

I agree c-nut.

Torbor or Davis or Kelsay. Keep Coleman, Moats, and Batten.

Yeah me too. I'd prefer to see Torbor and Maybin go and keep the rest.

Levi Brown's suddenly tenuous situation? The kid didn't even make the team or the practice squad out of camp last year and now suddenly he's in a tenuous situation?

Nonetheless he was with the team most of the season, finished the season with the team and went to camp with them this month.

He's more tenuous now because of the very recent signings of 2 quarterbacks, Tyler Thigpen and Brad Smith.

Capice?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Kelsay is starting because he is our only LB that can contain the running game. He actually had a really good year last year (for him) as he was in the backfield on a consistent basis. The only problem was he continually got juked by the likes of Eli Manning.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by Thoner7

I think what the OP meant was that Kelsey excels when it comes to setting the edge. His fluid lateral movement was a primary reason why we were so efficient at stopping the run last year

Waouw, we must have been watching different games last year. Is your name Chris? I did see him the backfield a few times while the running back was already 10 yards past the line.

Aha Thank you.

Levi Brown's suddenly tenuous situation? The kid didn't even make the team or the practice squad out of camp last year and now suddenly he's in a tenuous situation?

He actually wlaked rather than go on the practice squad last year, and came back about 5 or 6 weeks later, when no one else signed him. He would have been PS if he had had his head on straight, but he thought he should have beaten out Brohm. Anyhow, he is at best PS material again this year...with three guys ahead of him. None the less, good to have such a guy around learning.

My guess is that Kelsay, Torbor, and Maybin are gone and Coleman is on the fence. Kelsay was always an adequate back up defensive end but he was one of the worst linebackers at setting the edge I have ever seen. He also cannot cover anybody coming out of the backfield. I think it's time we cut hime loose and move on with the youngsters.