Not to be a Debbie downer

Debbie -

We went after Clabo, but when prom day came, he went with the prettier girl. Unless you want to sign Jared Gaither after a failed physical with the Raiders, Ryan Harris who has done little to nothing since drafted by the Broncos, or bring back Big Mike Williams with a clot in his heart; tell me who we should sign?

Worry not about Buffalo. Get to work on Dallas.

Love -

BillsMafia

Edited by BillsFanForever19

There are still tackles out there. Matt Starks from Pittsburgh who was let go might be worth a flier. I agree that both tackles are vulnerable and the weakest part of the team. I can't believe we are going to open the season with the existing crop alone.

I know not of this 'Matt Starks' you speak of.

If you mean Max Starks; no thanks. First off, he's a Left Tackle. The Bills have made no indication that they would like to replace Demetrius Bell and while he is no stud, he's not bad and is getting better. The need is at Right Tackle. Secondly, he is reported to be tremendously out of shape (apparently, on the much northern end of 300 lbs). And, lastly, the dude was out a good percentage of last year with a NECK injury that he had to have surgery on and is still dealing with.

There's no indication he's in any shape to play. He's in the same boat as Jared Gaither and Mike Williams healthwise. If he were in any position to play anywhere's near his past performance level, there's no way the Steelers would have let him go.

We need a RT; no doubt about it. But at the moment, I see no upgrade over an Erik Pears with one year under his belt with the Buffalo coaches. The well is THAT dry.

I know not of this 'Matt Starks' you speak of.

If you mean Max Starks; no thanks. First off, he's a Left Tackle. The Bills have made no indication that they would like to replace Demetrius Bell and while he is no stud, he's not bad and is getting better. The need is at Right Tackle. Secondly, he is reported to be tremendously out of shape (apparently, on the much northern end of 300 lbs). And, lastly, the dude was out a good percentage of last year with a NECK injury that he had to have surgery on and is still dealing with.

There's no indication he's in any shape to play. He's in the same boat as Jared Gaither and Mike Williams healthwise. If he were in any position to play anywhere's near his past performance level, there's no way the Steelers would have let him go.

We need a RT; no doubt about it. But at the moment, I see no upgrade over an Erik Pears with one year under his belt with the Buffalo coaches. The well is THAT dry.

Max Starks has played both LT and RT, and we don't know how much it is injury, weight or Money that is turning off the Steelers - what is unattractive at 5 mil might not be so unattractive at 2.5 mil.

Shawn Andrews - similar to Starks some injuries and due a boatload of money (7.5 mil) again might be attractive at a lower price

Langston Walker- below average pass blocker but a strong run blocker- the guy got run out of here in a moronic way but not by the guys here today.

Herman Johnson - the guy is huge and athletic for his size but hasn't worked hard enough yet and let his weight get away from him.

A real name that I hope we consider is Vernon Carey. Rumor had it that Carey was as good as done in Miami because of his contract, and he is one of the better RT in football. They signed Marc Colombo today which would lead me to believe that Carey is on his way out. This would be a nice signing. A very good football player who is better suited for RT, but can also play LT if injuries occur. Maybe Roscoe can lure him here as I know they were close in college. This would really make a very average off-season pretty damn good

Max Starks has played both LT and RT, and we don't know how much it is injury, weight or Money that is turning off the Steelers - what is unattractive at 5 mil might not be so unattractive at 2.5 mil.

Shawn Andrews - similar to Starks some injuries and due a boatload of money (7.5 mil) again might be attractive at a lower price

Langston Walker- below average pass blocker but a strong run blocker- the guy got run out of here in a moronic way but not by the guys here today.

Herman Johnson - the guy is huge and athletic for his size but hasn't worked hard enough yet and let his weight get away from him.

Langston Walker..... I have no idea where all this "Bring back Langston Walker!" love is coming from. I understand the guy kind of got a raw deal here. But I say "kind of" because the dude got signed to essentially the same contract that Tyson Clabo got and performed averagely on his best days at the RT spot. People seem to forget how much of a headache he was to all of us before he was wronged. As a matter of fact, i'd go so far as to say the money we poured into guys like him and Bennie Anderson were part of the reason we seem so hesitant to spend big money on the O-Line anymore. I really don't see Langston Walker providing much more to us than Erik Pears. Even if we were willing to go that route again; who in their right mind would even think this is close to a possibility? Why would he want to come back here? The only way I see that happening is that no one else wants him and in that sense; why would we?

Shawn Andrews is on the same boat as the rest of them. He keeps getting injured. The Giants signed him less than a year ago and already cut him. Not to mention, he's a headcase. He's had serious mental issues that have helped to ruin his career. The guy was a stud in 2007 and has been an unfortunate disappointment ever since.

I've already touched on Max Starks and i'm not even going to get into Herman Johnson (really?).

Like i've said, i'm ALL about getting a RT. But there just isn't one worth investing in.

A real name that I hope we consider is Vernon Carey. Rumor had it that Carey was as good as done in Miami because of his contract, and he is one of the better RT in football. They signed Marc Colombo today which would lead me to believe that Carey is on his way out. This would be a nice signing. A very good football player who is better suited for RT, but can also play LT if injuries occur. Maybe Roscoe can lure him here as I know they were close in college. This would really make a very average off-season pretty damn good

Now THAT's a RT that would be worth going after! That's an upgrade right away. The way I see it, right now, a cap casualty is the only way we're getting a new Tackle. Vernon Carey would be an amazing pickup!

coseybedaman, on 01 August 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

Now THAT's a RT that would be worth going after! That's an upgrade right away. The way I see it, right now, a cap casualty is the only way we're getting a new Tackle. Vernon Carey would be an amazing pickup!

:thumbsup: