Great game, love this team

Coach Tuesday

Would you agree that a Ruben Brown would be an upgrade over our current crop of LG's?

167386[/snapback]

No - no f'ing way. Brown would be an upgrade for his downfield blocking ONLY, but his pass protection was just horrid last season. He would take entire plays off - usually on third-and-longs. Plus he was horrendously overvalued.

Overall, I think our o-line has gone from being below-average last year and the beginning of this year to average-to-slightly-above-average. I know some people here (Simon) disagree with this assessment, but it's how I see it.

I wouldn't argue much with that fair assessment. I think they were better earlier in the year than most everybody gives them credit for, but there was certainly room for improvement and they've done exactly that this year.

And by 2:00pm I was in agreement that Tucker was taking a real tub-thumpin today. Teague and Villarial had poor days as well yet we still won on the road over a good team by 16. :)

Both Tucker and Teague get pushed around far too often. I suspect that Donahoe will go shopping for both a LG and C this offseason, whether it be in FA or the draft. Drafting a C and signing a LG is probably the way to go, as a good LG will probably be cheaper and easier to find in FA than a good C. Meanwhile, they can take their time developing the rookie C since Teague is probably just good enough to get by with if he has two good OGs beside him.

LB is another position I'd give strong consideration to. Aside from the fact that the Bills have no depth here, they also need to start planning for Fletcher's possible departure through FA. They could also use someone to push Jeff Posey.

CB, RB, and OT might sneak into the Bills first day draft plans, but I suspect they'll be lower on the draft/FA priority lists. I'd be a bit suprised to see them make anything but marginal FA signings at these positions. Obviously, needs at RB and OT depend upon the status of Henry and Jennings.

DT is a position that will recieve mention by the fans, but even if Pat Williams leaves, I doubt the Bills make any major moves there. Ron Edwards appears to be developing nicely and they drafted Tim Anderson in R3 last year. I think they'll stick with what they have unless a great draft prospect falls to them in R2. In any case, I don't see any major outside FA DT signing with the Bills.

Both Tucker and Teague get pushed around far too often.  I suspect that Donahoe will go shopping for both a LG and C this offseason,  whether it be in FA or the draft.  Drafting a C and signing a LG is probably the way to go,  as a good LG will probably be cheaper and easier to find in FA than a good C.  Meanwhile,  they can take their time developing the rookie C since Teague is probably just good enough to get by with if he has two good OGs beside him. 

LB is another position I'd give strong consideration to.  Aside from the fact that the Bills have no depth here,    they also need to start planning for Fletcher's possible departure through FA.  They could also use someone to push Jeff Posey. 

CB,  RB,  and OT might sneak into the Bills first day draft plans,  but I suspect they'll be lower on the draft/FA priority lists.  I'd be a bit suprised to see them make anything but marginal FA signings at these positions.  Obviously,  needs at RB and OT depend upon the status of Henry and Jennings. 

DT is a position that will recieve mention by the fans,  but even if Pat Williams leaves,  I doubt the Bills make any major moves there.  Ron Edwards appears to be developing nicely and they drafted Tim Anderson in R3 last year.  I think they'll stick with what they have unless a great draft prospect falls to them in R2.  In any case,  I don't see any major outside FA DT signing with the Bills.

167466[/snapback]

It may be cheaper, but then the Bills would have yet another young O-Lineman who needs to learn the ropes and wouldnt be ready to contribute for a few years. If the Bills want a serious upgrade of their O-Line, its got to be a veteran like Villarial.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Fake-Fat,

Carl Powell played left defensive end today. He was starting because the regular starter, Duane Clemons, was out. He was credited with seven tackles, six which were solo, and two sacks. Now Mikey may not have been assigned to him every play but he was assigned to him for the vast majority of them.

Go study your tape and tell us what you see. I know already what you will see because I was watching that matchup closely. Also, there is no way of a postion change now for mikey. If it happens, which I don't think TD will ever allow, it would be in next years camp.

This offensive line didn't run-block until the fourth quarter. It did a reasonable job of pass protecting most of the time. Clearly it needs to be upgraded in the off-season. While it's tempting to go out and sign free agents, keep these factors in mind: 1) teams generally hold onto their good offensive linemen, so there may not be that many to go after, 2) We will be over the cap as it is, so our ability to add to the team via free agency will be limited at best, 3) Jim McNally is known for his ability to get rookies ready to play in a hurry. The offense can't take control of a game unless the offensive line takes control. I say we use our 2nd and 3rd round picks on linemen, and make resigning Jennings a higher priority than keeping Moulds.

With Mike Williams' performance today, and his mostly inconsistent performance during the season, maybe moving him to LG is the answer.  Then again, he's due some huge roster bonus before next year, right?  That might make him a goner.

167133[/snapback]

I don't think MW is going anywhere anytime soon....and the guy is going to

be playing RT for quite a while....GIve him another year with McNally and he

should be there....Even this year his performane has been much much better

than the guy at Minnesota...

Fake-Fat,

Carl Powell played left defensive end today. He was starting because the regular starter, Duane Clemons, was out. He was credited with seven tackles, six which were solo, and two sacks. Now Mikey may not have been assigned to him every play but he was assigned to him for the vast majority of them.

Go study your tape and tell us what you see. I know already what you will see because I was watching that matchup closely. Also, there is no way of a postion change now for mikey. If it happens, which I don't think TD will ever allow, it would be in next years camp.

167505[/snapback]

Many thanks fpr the guidance and I will review the tape with this in mind. My guess is that JMac will likely make some significant changes in our OL personnel because even though the performance is improved over the Viklarek/Ruel era (error) the OL production is not good enough. The run blocking has been quite productive with WMs skills, but today is a clear reminder that it is far from sufficient (even if WM escapes further injury). Like most teams and QBs, the pass pro production would be improved with a more mobile QB, but again given the need to be able to produce for a QB with Bledsoe's arm/ legs and brain they need to get better.

The key will probably be what the market provides in terms of hanging on to Jennings. I would not be surprised to see us resign him because there is no blockbuster deal for him in the market. AT is where he wants to go, but my guess is that between the Vick deal, a big FA expenditure for PP, and the fact they are doing quite fine with what they got (all teams can get better, but if I'm AT I think I get better by strengthening my D so NYG doesn't force our Vick led O to save our necks in OT, but then Vick sells tickets and promotes the team and if he tells Balnk he won;t be happy unless they get him an LT, then they get him an LT even if D help is what their team needs), and most teams have already blown their cap allications on LTs (even expensive but doable buys aren't in the top 10 OL salaries) I would not be shocked to see Jennings market be for a substantial raise but for far less than the top 10-15 LT salaries.

If Jennings fits our budget and stays then it gives us the flexibility to try to move MW to LG if JMac views out OL as performing better with him there. However, of Jennings goes, then I certainly think MW will be given the longest possible look at actually making the jump to LT or he will simply stay at RT, rather than making two openings for us as tackle by moving MW to LG.

Not to be a wet blanket here people, loved the win, team looks great, etc etc, but, just to talk some football - we're gonna need a LG next year.  As much as I admire Tucker's smarts and toughness, he simply lacks talent.  He gets pushed around at the point of attack, it was obvious today.  I think McNally's done wonders with the guy's technique, or he wouldn't have even made it this far.  Should be the first order of business this offseason - depending upon what happens with JJennings.

167117[/snapback]

Your probably right but we've got to win the next two games. It's crunch time.