Jairus Byrd

I don't know much about D-fence styles but he went from 9 INT to 0 just by swiching to a 3-4??? I think we should get him back there doing what he does best and ballhalk.

I believe he had one at the end of the season, but point taken. Personally I think he got better in run support this year which to me, is a sure sign he is evolving into a better all around player. I think the picks will come, but lets be honest, 4-5 of those were gifts.

I think he'll he rebound this year, and we'll see a better tackling, better all around safety.

He was in the right place at the right time for most of those interceptions

I've heard that argument, but you could say that about anyone. I agree some of them went right to em, but some were nice plays and the bottom line was he made 9 interceptions. I don't know what happened last year, I'm hoping just a sophomore slump cause it'd be really nice to have a threat out there when teams throw the deep ball.

He was in the right place at the right time for most of those interceptions

Yes he was but to his credit he made the plays when those opportunities were there for the taking.

Edited by Stl Bills

I don't know much about D-fence styles but he went from 9 INT to 0 just by swiching to a 3-4??? I think we should get him back there doing what he does best and ballhalk.

ya not sure what happened - he did have 1 not 0 - but part of being a ball hawks is always being in the right place at the right time not making jumping, diving, unreal interceptions. Luke at Troy P with the steelers most of his picks are deflections or thrown right to him or a result of pressure. I'm not sure i've ever seen him rob a wideout

I dont think its fair to say that Polamalu is always in the right place at the right time.. He's made some of the most spectacular interceptions I've ever seen.

For instance..

Number 1

Number 2

When Byrd starts making plays like these then he'll be one of the elite safeties in the league. It definitely takes more than being in the right place at the right time to be considered one of the best.

The lack of pressure up front allowed quarterbacks to throw mid-range passes, which the likes of Poz were unable to defense, and our opponents' running game ran all over the front seven so our defensive backfield could not shine because they were in moving up in run support.

A few of his 2009 interceptions were lucky but his game improved throughout last year after a poor start, which may have also been injury related.

Can't wait for this season to begin ... the offense is going to be exciting and the defense is going to get the ball back more quickly!

The entire game of football is about being in the right place at the right time.

Exactly. It's funny to hear people discount his INT"s saying he got "lucky." Quite a few of those were diving catches.

And yes, he did have a pick 6 against the Jets.

Edited by cantankerous

I feel like Safety INT numbers are rarely consistent. 2009 he was the recipient of many over thrown/tipped balls. In 2010 he wasn't around those balls for whatever reason. It might be under last years defense, that he was supposed to play tighter, instead of playing a glorified prevent in the old Tampa 2.

The lack of pressure up front allowed quarterbacks to throw mid-range passes, which the likes of Poz were unable to defense, and our opponents' running game ran all over the front seven so our defensive backfield could not shine because they were in moving up in run support.

A few of his 2009 interceptions were lucky but his game improved throughout last year after a poor start, which may have also been injury related.

Can't wait for this season to begin ... the offense is going to be exciting and the defense is going to get the ball back more quickly!

That's right he did have an INT... I remember thinks finally he gets an INT.

Aslo you are right about the lack of presure... I think we really missed having Aaron on the D-line last year.

Very True statement

Yeah because so many interceptions are made when the guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Are insinuating he was lucky? Being in the right place is what makes a secondary player succesful-called instincts....