Bills doing the right thing, so far.

Justice

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix has been in control of only two of those drafts. He needs more time and shouldn't be held liable for the other regimes. Plus, we made a huge change to a 34 and that will take some time. We're almost there. We have our DE's, DT's hopefully 3 out of 4 linebacker spots filled and our secondary will be okay if we re-sign Drayton.

Next draft we can fill in the rest of the spots and then hit free agency.

I'm not holding Buddy Liable, I'm holding the buffalo Bills organization liable..Don't get me wrong, I like Buddy / Chan and Clan but the Buffalo Bills have been building through the draft for 11 years now, just to let there draft picks walk into FA, but actually half of them or slightly less than half are busts..We did resign a few ( Kelsey / Evans / Williams ) but in 11 years keeping 5% of them on your team is not building, its a constant rebuilding year after year..I am excited , but I say that every year..We seem to have a respectable Offense, adding a TE this year in FA would give it a good shot in the arm that they need...I don't think we took a step back on defense loosing POZ, but we didn't take a step forward even with our draft picks..Just start the season already so we can get to next years draft..! I wish this was Playstation so I could skip the season... :wallbash:

P.S. - I love the Bills...

Somehow the Jets made it to the AFC Champ game two yrs in a row with only like 5 draftable players the last two years I think. They used Free agency and it worked for them pretty fast turning around a crap franchise, why can't we combine both draft and free agency if it improves us short and long term. With our philosphy, if we draft good and players become solid starters, in 3 or 4 yrs we don't re-sign them and they sign as FAs elsewhere it seems anyway, so how is that builiding? We are only trying to replace what we lose.

Are you implying that the Bills can compete in free agency, with a team that plays near New York city? A big market like that is very hard to compete with, especially for a city like Buffalo. Not to mention the charisma Rex Ryan has compared to Gailey.

Could be because we don't have one. You can't tell me Zack Miller wouldn't be a big addition to this offense?

It could be and of course Miller would be a huge upgrade, but has Gailey ever had a great tight end? Not being a jerk here, honest question. Did Gailey ever have a tight end that he utilized with other teams?

I would say Tony Gonzales was a huge part of his offense.

That answered my question. I forgot all about Tony G.

Excellent strategy on the part of the Bills - lie in wait for a few decades, let everyone think you're a small market team who doesn't spend, throw money at guys like Kelsay, don't sign any free agents and let your own good free agents walk and then POW!!!! Jump out like a hungry tiger in 2020 (or maybe 2030 depending on how dedicated you are to the setup of this ruse) and start spending your way to a championship - NOBODY would expect it! It would be downright diabolical!

Awesome... lol...!

We been building through the draft for 11 years now, Just tell me how much longer it's going to take so I can start to watch the Bills again...A young top tier free agent should be signed each year...This year we should sign a Defensive player ( ILB )..And since we didn't sign one last year we should make up for that and sign a TE..Then next year draft a RT for the future and a QB to be groomed..Grab some more defensive players and sign a top free agent next year, and holy crap we might get some place..!

I agree with you on the lack of draft success, but I'll take a RT THIS year (Clabo please). We should still have enough cap space for a good FA TE, an upgrade at ILB and still be able to sign our own players (some) with some front loaded contracts.

I believe in buliding a team with the Draft but when you can get a quality free agents you have to at least try & sign one to help rebuild

its been 11 year since we made the playoffs & nickel & dime it won't change that, you want to win, you gotta spend

Buddy Nix has been in control of only two of those drafts. He needs more time and shouldn't be held liable for the other regimes. Plus, we made a huge change to a 34 and that will take some time. We're almost there. We have our DE's, DT's hopefully 3 out of 4 linebacker spots filled and our secondary will be okay if we re-sign Drayton.

Next draft we can fill in the rest of the spots and then hit free agency.

I'm selling a bridge that connects lower Manhattan to Brooklyn. Interested?

I believe in buliding a team with the Draft but when you can get a quality free agents you have to at least try & sign one to help rebuild

its been 11 year since we made the playoffs & nickel & dime it won't change that, you want to win, you gotta spend

Who says they aren't trying? Maybe nobody wants to come to Buffalo. Maybe Nix is just trying to save face when he says they aren't gonna be huge players in free agency. How would it look if Nix told the world he was going to go out and make a big splash in free agency only to find out that no one wants to be here?

I'm selling a bridge that connects lower Manhattan to Brooklyn. Interested?

Like it or not, this is the strategy the Bills are going with, what sense does it make to complain about it? We can whine and cry all we like but that isn't going to change the way things are done in OBD.

I'm not holding Buddy Liable, I'm holding the buffalo Bills organization liable..Don't get me wrong, I like Buddy / Chan and Clan but the Buffalo Bills have been building through the draft for 11 years now, just to let there draft picks walk into FA, but actually half of them or slightly less than half are busts..We did resign a few ( Kelsey / Evans / Williams ) but in 11 years keeping 5% of them on your team is not building, its a constant rebuilding year after year..I am excited , but I say that every year..We seem to have a respectable Offense, adding a TE this year in FA would give it a good shot in the arm that they need...I don't think we took a step back on defense loosing POZ, but we didn't take a step forward even with our draft picks..Just start the season already so we can get to next years draft..! I wish this was Playstation so I could skip the season... :wallbash:

P.S. - I love the Bills...

+1 and repeat every year until we see something that gives us hope.

Everyone is wondering how the Bills will reach the salary cap floor without signing free agents. It's pretty easy, front load contracts to people like Dareus and Florence, re-sign some upcoming free agents such as Stevie Johnson and front load his deal and walla, you're at the floor of the cap without signing any outside free agents. We need to spend $26 million to get to the floor and Dareus' contract can theoretically get us half-way there, if that's what the Bills want, by making his signing bonus apply towards this years' cap.

If the Bills follow this strategy then they will always have cap space and will be able to make the big signings when the rest of the league is at a disadvantage financially. As of now, most teams are way under the cap because there was no salary floor in 2010 and many teams took advantage of that. Give it a year or two and those same teams will be trying their best to get under the cap. In the meantime, we will be holding all the cards and then we can make a major impact in free agency.

IMO, this is what the Bills need to do. We aren't in the position of going after free agents, yet. We need to build this team through the draft until we are competitive or knocking on the playoff's door, at the very least, and then you can go out and make a big splash in free agency. Free agency should be used to put the finishing touches on your roster, not the other way around.

very well said, this is one of the most logical things said in a while

Everyone is wondering how the Bills will reach the salary cap floor without signing free agents. It's pretty easy, front load contracts to people like Dareus and Florence, re-sign some upcoming free agents such as Stevie Johnson and front load his deal and walla, you're at the floor of the cap without signing any outside free agents. We need to spend $26 million to get to the floor and Dareus' contract can theoretically get us half-way there, if that's what the Bills want, by making his signing bonus apply towards this years' cap.

I'm not sure this part is true, is it? In hockey anyway you divide the dollars by the number of the years for the cap hit per year. So you can sign a player to a 10 year 50 million dollar contract and pay him $49,999,991.00 the first year and a dollar a year for the remainder of the contract but the cap hit is 5 million per year for the 10 years. Is that not true in football?

Edited by CodeMonkey

Speaking of Tony G, didn't he turn the Bills down when we were 3 & 1 a couple of years ago? People don't want to come here! Plain and simple. Until we prove that we can compete for a playoff spot.

I'm not sure this part is true, is it? In hockey anyway you divide the dollars by the number of the years for the cap hit per year. So you can sign a player to a 10 year 50 million dollar contract and pay him $9,999,991.00 the first year and a dollar a year for the remainder of the contract but the cap hit is 5 million per year for the 10 years. Is that not true in football?

You can structure the contract any way you see fit in the NFL.

You can structure the contract any way you see fit in the NFL.

I understand they can setup payment however they like, but the cap hit is what you actually pay the player that year or is it averaged out over the duration of the contract like in hockey?

Hmmm seems Google is my friend. The NFL cap hit is what the player is paid. Interesting. You can learn something new every day.

Edited by CodeMonkey

We need to sign a couple of Free Agents. MLB, OT, and maybe TE. Should be the main focus. Pick up a couple extra cheap LBs and lets start the season. I agree 100% in building with the draft, but you have to be able to supplement.

I was sad to see Poz go. I liked him. Even though he wasnt a show stopper. Its not like we let Patrick Willis walk. I think if it wasnt for the uncapped year he would of been locked up. Now we need to make sure we dont lose Williams or Stevie for a while.

+1 and repeat every year until we see something that gives us hope.

And if Fitz ends up not being the answer at QB, then we wil have to draft one next year and wait 3 more years before he has the NFL tangibles to lead us into the playoffs, HOWEVER by that time the guys we drafted last year and this year will be either gone via FA, or just hitting the market, so we will then have to start drafting guys to replace them, so add another year, and ofcourse the next year we will lose next years draft picks to FA, and our QB that we drafted will be gone, so we will have to draft another QB and wait another 3 years for him to lead us into the playoffs, and by that time our draft picks we drafted 3 years from now will be gone and we will have to draft to replace them....I think you get my point, thats pretty much been the last 11 years, and the next 11 years unless we start filling holes by keeping our draft picks and signing FA's..!...My point is you and I may never get to watch another Bills game again if we just skip the season until there is hope...We may as well just get drunk together and watch the season anyway.. :beer:

Edited by foreplayer

Excellent strategy on the part of the Bills - lie in wait for a few decades, let everyone think you're a small market team who doesn't spend, throw money at guys like Kelsay, don't sign any free agents and let your own good free agents walk and then POW!!!! Jump out like a hungry tiger in 2020 (or maybe 2030 depending on how dedicated you are to the setup of this ruse) and start spending your way to a championship - NOBODY would expect it! It would be downright diabolical!

This made me laugh big time!!