NFL Players are the real problem here

Can we just have some football already? Come on man! I've talked to a few people at work who say that this whole ordeal has turned them off from football. Makes me wonder if this will be more of a trend if this drags out much longer......

NFL players are millionares! Collectively they have more cash money then the owners unless the owners sell their franchises. The owners have put up with players salaries escalating at 100 percentiles not even close to inflation rates. Who are they kidding when they say the Union decertified, maybe by legal court papers but they are still represented by the same lawyers and NFLPA agents. There are a group of players who think they are more special then anyone else and it shows. I say to the owners trash the whole year and see how they behave and negotiate next year!!!!!!!!!!!! :worthy:

I think it is actually clear to most fans that there are at least three sides to this dispute- team owners, labor, and most important from my biased perspective, the fans. Neither the owners or the players have your or my interest as the driver of their decision making. You do not disagree with this do you?

Now as far as who is THE problem.

As a fan, I would just like my football. Things could be better with the modern NFL since both sides agreed to the last CBA, but from my view I would rather watch football than labor disputes.

The CBA was set to expire in a few years BUT the owners decided to exercise their contractual right to force a negotiation early. I have seen some try to stand on their heads and take a twisted view of things to claim that the players created this lockout. That is incorrect. The owners agreed to the old CBA and the owners triggered this lockout. Both sides have been idiots but the owners are primarily to blame for this dance.

Perhaps you want to take the side of the billionaires over the millionaires but rumor has it no one is sending you or me a check.

Can we just have some football already? Come on man! I've talked to a few people at work who say that this whole ordeal has turned them off from football. Makes me wonder if this will be more of a trend if this drags out much longer......

Your coworkers need a thicker skin, or at least a more interesting hobby than NFL training camps, if a lack of football in July has turned them off from football.

1,696 > 32, as long as you don't count the 32's most prized asset. Good point.

I'm just going to go ahead & assume (or at least hope) that this is a crayonz-esque level.

Probably a bad assumption. Paul Allen, who owns the Seahawks, is worth $13 billion alone which if divided by 1900 players equals $6.8 million per player.

I know that figure includes his football and basketball franchices and not all cash but there are 31 other owners to consider...just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Probably a bad assumption. Paul Allen, who owns the Seahawks, is worth $13 billion alone which if divided by 1900 players equals $6.8 million per player.

I know that figure includes his football and basketball franchices and not all cash but there are 31 other owners to consider...just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Huh?

Huh?

Duh.

jw

Wuh?

1,696 > 32, as long as you don't count the 32's most prized asset. Good point.

I'm just going to go ahead & assume (or at least hope) that this is a crayonz-esque level.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that both of you were saying that actually, the players are NOT richer than the owners… and that Dave misconstrued your meaning even though you are in agreement.

Your coworkers need a thicker skin, or at least a more interesting hobby than NFL training camps, if a lack of football in July has turned them off from football.

Exactly. If true there is no way they could have handled 1982 and 1987.

Mr Smith has to go. Time to vote him out. He has done nothing for you. Can't you see that?? Vote of confidence? Please! And how many millions would you like?? Give the old guys some more money. Smith is not the one to bring you out of the jungle.

Calm down. This is no big deal.

Remember, the owners were all in Atlanta yesterday. SOME Player Reps were in Washington and others were scattered. Not to mention, those 32 Player Reps need to get buy-in from the 1900 or so rank & file members. That said, the Player Reps didn't have he same docs the owners had last night - so they couldn't vote on it at their 8pm conf call.

So in our world of constant gratification (& electronic media), we all wanted an answer from the players right away. However, last night without all the necessary information, may players & player reps were skeptical of the owners and fearful they were executing a power play and PR campaign to cast the players in a bad light if they didn't quickly ratify the new plan. So overnight, D. Smith andthe Reps reviewed the docs and feel better about the plan. It was much ado about nothing. Give the players a few days. First they have to agree they like the plan informally. Then they need to re-establish the union, then they can all vote on it.

Just a few more days . . . .

Generally speaking, business is condensed into these 6 words and I have yet to see otherwise:

It all

comes down

to money.

That being said, I can't help but wonder where "losing face" fits into the equation here. Negotiating is like buying a car; the seller knows he isn't going to sell for what he's asking and the buyer knows he isn't going to purchase for what he's offering. If they can come to an agreement where neither one feels like he got screwed, they have a pretty good chance at closing the deal. And yes, I know no one is making a purchase, but the principle is the same. There's the money part, and there's the losing face part. In the end, each side wants to be able to go to the press and trumpet forth, "WE WON," which I'm sure they will do, anyway.

Well, my view on this issue is that the players are a problem...in labor relations situations like this, it is always tough to keep all the puppies in the box. The union leadership needs to be able to deliver a positive vote to deliver the "handshake" agreement that the negotiators had. Unfortunately, Mr Goodell blew the situation totally. By doing the management vote like he did before the union, all those players with all the brains think they are being snookered. A classic screwup by Goodell. Should have waited...even if he had to cancel a few preseason games. I think Goodell had problems with the owners associated with the revenue sharing issue, and he had to get that nailed down...but it might cost him the overall deal. STUPID, STUPID,STUPID. Will the players approve the deal....who knows what those rocket scientists will do. But, the next cancellation, if there is one needed, will be a big one in my view....perhapsa couple of preseason games, and a couple of regular season games. (Who wants football in August anyhow), leaving enough of a preseason that a totally inferior product is not delivered when the regular season (shortened) is started. At the end of the last shutdown (80's strike), the games were played after four days of practice. I attended.(the fish) Many penalities on both sides of the ball, worse than high school football. I don't want to see that again...will ask for my season ticket money back. Oh well, Let it play out....these guys deserve each other.....

BTW, John.

Thanks very much for hanging out with us here.

By no means do I blame some of your colleagues for having left in fact I completely understand it.

But I think it speaks volumes about you in so many ways that you've stayed.

Always great to have your insight, expertise, temperament, and sense of humor.

I'd compliment your looks but then I'd really be blowing smoke.

Have a great weekend John.

Dang it, I had to sign back in because of this post.

Agreed 100% :thumbsup:

I think it is actually clear to most fans that there are at least three sides to this dispute- team owners, labor, and most important from my biased perspective, the fans. Neither the owners or the players have your or my interest as the driver of their decision making. You do not disagree with this do you?

Now as far as who is THE problem.

As a fan, I would just like my football. Things could be better with the modern NFL since both sides agreed to the last CBA, but from my view I would rather watch football than labor disputes.

The CBA was set to expire in a few years BUT the owners decided to exercise their contractual right to force a negotiation early. I have seen some try to stand on their heads and take a twisted view of things to claim that the players created this lockout. That is incorrect. The owners agreed to the old CBA and the owners triggered this lockout. Both sides have been idiots but the owners are primarily to blame for this dance.

Perhaps you want to take the side of the billionaires over the millionaires but rumor has it no one is sending you or me a check.

There are actually many other sides, owners, NFL Branding, players, coaches, cable stations, media members, lawyers, etc... and then the fans. We actually matter the most but often given the least amount of respect. As fans, collectively we have the most money. Unfortunately we are not represented as a group and therefore have no power. This whole fiasco would be over if we did.

As far as the Collective Bargining agreement, owners voted out of it during 2009 season. This enacted a last year to the agreement which kicked in a uncapped season for 2010. That agreement in 2006 turned out as Ralph Wilson and the Browns owner said to be too heavily weighted in favor of revenue to the players, ~60% with 1 billion off the top.

I do side with the owners because they bring us the NFL to our cities, it is their choice. If you don't believe this ask Cleveland, Oakland and LA. Everybody says without the players there would be no NFL, that statement goes for any group involved with the NFL. Fortunately if everyone of these NFL players walked away and never played again, don't you think the NFL could still field a team. That was proven in 1987 with the scab games and guess what, we fans loved it. We had fat over weight guys hitting people and we cheered. Many of us wanted certain players to become part of our clubs when the strike ended, our Bills beat the Giants at home. The game was crazy. Now take away all 32 owners and it would take a lomg time before the NFL would ever be able to play again and it might not be in your city. No one is irreplaceable but truely the players would be the easiest since their salaries are very appealable to people. With that kind of money, noone sees the pain!

This is when true NFL fans get connected for the year with their teams. Players move so much it takes a little while to get a feel for your team. Alot of time and maybe money is invested as a true fan. It is much more enjoyable if you understand who your team is before the NFL kicks off in September. I have great hobbies for the summer; boating, fishing, MLB and watching the Buffalo Bills training camps plus preseason games!

What the players make in cash salary collectively for the year is more than what the owners bring in for owning those franchises collectively. There are probably a few owners who by thenselves do better because of their stadiums but as a whole that is not the case. This is logic because the money starts at the bottom and flows up to the top. The bottom is us fans. We supply the revenue either in tickets, merchandise, products bought for advertising, NFL package, etc... If fans collctivelly didn't have more money none of this works in a Capitalist society. Where is our power? :wallbash: