Pre-CBA FA talk

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SI writer is clueless- here's a reasonable off-season one big money free agent a few moderate money free agents and a few cheap gets.

Big Money- Johnathan Joseph CB, - McGee has fallen off a lot the last two years, Williams is an unknown and while we see improvement the light still hasn't come on 100% for McKelvin.

Moderate Money- Ryan Harris RT- the Bills might be fine at RT or they might be in desperate trouble, really know one knows, Ryan Harris puts a floor down at the tackle position.

Manny Lawson OLB- Aaron Maybin has been a bust, Kelsay has been a joke at OLB, Will Merriman return to form? Lawson hasn't been a sack machine but he can cover TEs and RBs and is pretty strong against the run.

Tarvaris Jackson OB- Has some NFL experience and athletic ability. Shouldn't break the bank.

Cheap moves - UDFAs Mario Harvey ILB, Mark Herzlich OLB- to replace some of our older non performing LBs

Trade a 3rd round pick to Dallas for Martellus Bennett TE- Bennett is a very good run blocker and a pretty good receiver but is behind all pro Jason Witten, and may be behind John Phillips as well- in addition Dallas has Martin Rucker who they think still has potential.

The SI writer is clueless- here's a reasonable off-season one big money free agent a few moderate money free agents and a few cheap gets.

Big Money- Johnathan Joseph CB, - McGee has fallen off a lot the last two years, Williams is an unknown and while we see improvement the light still hasn't come on 100% for McKelvin.

Moderate Money- Ryan Harris RT- the Bills might be fine at RT or they might be in desperate trouble, really know one knows, Ryan Harris puts a floor down at the tackle position.

Manny Lawson OLB- Aaron Maybin has been a bust, Kelsay has been a joke at OLB, Will Merriman return to form? Lawson hasn't been a sack machine but he can cover TEs and RBs and is pretty strong against the run.

Tarvaris Jackson OB- Has some NFL experience and athletic ability. Shouldn't break the bank.

Cheap moves - UDFAs Mario Harvey ILB, Mark Herzlich OLB- to replace some of our older non performing LBs

Trade a 3rd round pick to Dallas for Martellus Bennett TE- Bennett is a very good run blocker and a pretty good receiver but is behind all pro Jason Witten, and may be behind John Phillips as well- in addition Dallas has Martin Rucker who they think still has potential.

Like Lawson, like bennett

The more and more I think about it and I see the rumored cap floor I think that the Bills won't sign a big name in order to meet the floor which they are rumored to be 36 million under.

They will put in strong bids to resign Poz and Florence and that will take up 8+ million. Their rookies will likely cost them 8-10 million. They will likely want to resign Stevie which should cost them 6+ million. That only leaves them 10ish million under the cap which would likely be spent on a backup QB and other filling out the roster needs. I could also see them reworking Kyle Williams deal too which could cost them 4-5 million.

Now the Bills have the option to cut a few players to save on the cap like Spencer Johnson (3 million), Chris Kelsay (5+ million), and Maybin (5+ million). So who knows but when running the number I feel like they will have a typical Bills free agency.

The more and more I think about it and I see the rumored cap floor I think that the Bills won't sign a big name in order to meet the floor which they are rumored to be 36 million under.

They will put in strong bids to resign Poz and Florence and that will take up 8+ million. Their rookies will likely cost them 8-10 million. They will likely want to resign Stevie which should cost them 6+ million. That only leaves them 10ish million under the cap which would likely be spent on a backup QB and other filling out the roster needs. I could also see them reworking Kyle Williams deal too which could cost them 4-5 million.

Now the Bills have the option to cut a few players to save on the cap like Spencer Johnson (3 million), Chris Kelsay (5+ million), and Maybin (5+ million). So who knows but when running the number I feel like they will have a typical Bills free agency.

I agree.

Maybe part of that is that i'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Ten days from now we'll know the answer as all the timelines I've seen suggest that free agency will start on July 28th.