Inspection question

zevo

so last year I had an inground pool put in that was finished up around november...Today in the mail I got a letter from the electrical inspector of Amherst that the pool company I used did not call him for a final electrical inspection and that I need to set this up...not generally a big deal....but....over the winter I had a friend of mine finish off my basement in which I did not pull any permits. I am assuming that when I set up an inspection with the inspector he will undoubtedly need to access my basement to see the circuit panel...So basically I am looking for advice on what I should do and what kind of trouble im in....Thanks

Well, I guess you can try to put a lot of crap in front of any outlets. And then as the guy says in "The Hunt for Red October"... "make like a hole in the water."

Don't bring it up, and if s/he does say something, say you hired someone at Home Depot, you don't remember their name, and they told you they pulled the permits. Are you in an area that is very tightly wound about this stuff? We finished our basement DIY a couple years ago bit by bit, no permits, and the town just did a revaluation and they said nary a word. For inspectors, you're in the boat of they're either nosy parkers or they're just there to do that specific item and could give a whit about anything else. And in my experience, unless someone's REALLY anal, they don't have schematics on each home's panel wiring, because that would be overkill and REALLY not worth the time spent on it, for any fines they might collect for unpermitted work.

First, though, I'd call the pool company and find out from them if a final inspection was done and if they say yes, whether they have paperwork on it to back that up. Not that city/town inspectors have ever f----- up paperwork! :rolleyes:

Edited by UConn James

im just really stressin about this. I didnt have permits pulled cause it was a friend who is a contractor...Everything was performed to code....maybe the final electrical inspection of the pool doesnt require the inspector to enter my home...Im not really sure. I have been googling this topic and I have read answers from "not that big of deal" to "they required to tear down all the walls etc".

im just really stressin about this. I didnt have permits pulled cause it was a friend who is a contractor...Everything was performed to code....maybe the final electrical inspection of the pool doesnt require the inspector to enter my home...Im not really sure. I have been googling this topic and I have read answers from "not that big of deal" to "they required to tear down all the walls etc".

I would think the pool contractor would be the one to ask.

Business and friendship do not always mix

If you have any kind of paperwork that proves your buddy did the work you might be able to plead stupidity. You paid him to do a job. The fact that he didn't cross his I's and dot his T's isn't your concern. But if it was all wink wink nudge nudge under the table, as the property owner you are on the hook

Business and friendship do not always mix

If you have any kind of paperwork that proves your buddy did the work you might be able to plead stupidity. You paid him to do a job. The fact that he didn't cross his I's and dot his T's isn't your concern. But if it was all wink wink nudge nudge under the table, as the property owner you are on the hook

Yeah...but whats the hook...

Yeah...but whats the hook...

If they "discover" it, they'll red tag it. If you have a house fire that's caused by faulty wiring anywhere in your house, your insurance policy is void.

They'll make you set up an appointment to get it inspected after you've pulled the proper permit and paid them the all important fees, (Probably not fines though) .

As a homeowner, you have the right to replace old receptacles, fixtures and wiring. However, you do not have the right to add circuits, new wiring, outlets, and fixtures without pulling a permit.

My basement is partially finished...about 3/4 is studded and walled...it is technically not liveable space as there,is no ceiling just painted black with everything exposed.....should I just have it inspected and tell them I didnt know to have a,permit pulled.....i cant be the only one to have been In,this situation.....i do thank you for all your responses....

If they "discover" it, they'll red tag it. If you have a house fire that's caused by faulty wiring anywhere in your house, your insurance policy is void.

And this is why I don't understand people who don't pull permits. Yeah, it sucks to pay for them and yeah it sucks if your property tax goes up a bit. But in the long run, it'll suck a lot more to have a fire and the insurance adjuster says, "Sorry, it might've been caused by this new outlet so we're not paying you."

And this is why I don't understand people who don't pull permits. Yeah, it sucks to pay for them and yeah it sucks if your property tax goes up a bit. But in the long run, it'll suck a lot more to have a fire and the insurance adjuster says, "Sorry, it might've been caused by this new outlet so we're not paying you."

Exactly.