What about the O-line?

San-O

For me, the real difference between being angry and frustrated with the Bills, or feeling hopeful and interested in watching and rooting for them, is whether or not the GM and Owner are committed to winning, to creating the best and strongest team, built to last, or whether it is merely about making money, and winning is only a means, used only as much as necessary, to make the most profit. It looks like the Bills have been guilty, or Mr. Wilson particularly, of merely being ruled by profit; or certainly not being motivated first and foremost by winning. Before Nix and Gailey came I was about done with the Bills under Wilson - it looked like they were, indeed, merely profiting at the expense of a fanbase that had nothing to turn to.

However, Nix looks like he knows what he is doing, and Gailey looks like he is ready to field a really competitive team, like he takes winning personal. That article today about the former coach Roach? (buffalo rumblings)and how foolishly this organization is run only mirrors what many other people have said. For me, it's about having the Bills a team that no other teams are laughing at, that teams don't want to play. I was really getting fed up with Buffalo being a laughing stock team, that wasn't run even close enough to be a winner. For me, the time is now to change that, and I think Nix has shown he wants to create a winner as he sees a team should be - but, there have been small actions that hint at a continuation of the old meddler, and this free agency period will indeed show us what the top of the team's priorities are.

I don't know if it is about the money, or should I say only about the money.

To me at least, it seems more of a lack of respect for the position and what it entails. I think there are some running the show with the attitude of "we can get anyone off the street to play there". Thus, Buddy's quote of "hey, we got Eric Pears, he's 6'8" and 315". If you don't have respect for the position, you aren't going to pay much for anyone, and you aren't going to waste high draft choices for someone.

Of course, it isn't true, most in the league know that, that's why there are multiple tackles taken in the first round every year. But we're smarter than everyone.

We'll see. Prove me wrong Buddy, show me the baby!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the positions this ESPN reporter thinks are our biggest needs:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6780926/nfl-2011-team-team-needs

As Bills Fans, we could argue that RT is a bigger need. That said, we need people up front that can win matchups.

On defense, we may have such a player in Dareus. If he can approach the level of Wilfork, he and Williams will present a disruptive force, one which can win football games.

It's the same on offense. The Jets are winning with a qb who imo is no better than Fitz. At least not yet. But, players such as Mangold and Ferguson are winning their matchups, and they are providing a ground game, as well as pass protection.

When the Bills are a strong team on both sides of the line, they will be a playoff team. I think that Gailey has a great offensive mind as compared to Jauron, who wasn't good at anything. A strong move on free agency for a quality OT and TE could very well make us a good team, rather than a doormat.

Lets hope!

Of course, it isn't true, most in the league know that, that's why there are multiple tackles taken in the first round every year. But we're smarter than everyone.

Not right tackles, at least not typically, or at least not players who don't have potential at left tackle to start.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Here are the positions this ESPN reporter thinks are our biggest needs:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6780926/nfl-2011-team-team-needs

As Bills Fans, we could argue that RT is a bigger need. That said, we need people up front that can win matchups.

On defense, we may have such a player in Dareus. If he can approach the level of Wilfork, he and Williams will present a disruptive force, one which can win football games.

It's the same on offense. The Jets are winning with a qb who imo is no better than Fitz. At least not yet. But, players such as Mangold and Ferguson are winning their matchups, and they are providing a ground game, as well as pass protection.

When the Bills are a strong team on both sides of the line, they will be a playoff team. I think that Gailey has a great offensive mind as compared to Jauron, who wasn't good at anything. A strong move on free agency for a quality OT and TE could very well make us a good team, rather than a doormat.

Lets hope!

Hopefully the scuttlebutt that the Bills are looking at Clabo (meaning they're looking for a starting RT) are true. A good TE, which the Jets also have, would also be nice.

As for defense, I still keep wondering if scrapping the 3-4 and drafting Bowers in the 2nd would have made for a better defense? A DL of Williams, Dareus, and Bowers, plus Kelsay or someone else at LDE, would have made for a killer DL.

Hopefully the scuttlebutt that the Bills are looking at Clabo (meaning they're looking for a starting RT) are true. A good TE, which the Jets also have, would also be nice.

As for defense, I still keep wondering if scrapping the 3-4 and drafting Bowers in the 2nd would have made for a better defense? A DL of Williams, Dareus, and Bowers, plus Kelsay or someone else at LDE, would have made for a killer DL.

If the Bills get three contributing free agents, no matter what the positions, then I will be satisfied. I favor keeping Poz and even Whitner. My view is that this franchise needs to start adding talent and not constantly replacing talent. Nix's stated approach is to keep what you develop is the right way to go.

My favored wish list is an RT, LB and TE. The failure of the Maybin selection has had major reverberations on the defense.

With respect to the type of defense, whether 3-4 or 4-3, I don't care. Just set up a system and stick with it. There are so many variations of the 3-4 and 4-3 that sometimes the defense becomes a hybrid that can't be simply categorized.

I'll tell you what will happen with the OL. It will be average or maybe a little worse. Some games it will suck and be justifiably criticized. Some games it will be average but receive praise because the QB plays well. And some games it will be average and be ripped to shreds because the QB does not play well. For further details read last year's threads.

I'll tell you what will happen with the OL. It will be average or maybe a little worse. Some games it will suck and be justifiably criticized. Some games it will be average but receive praise because the QB plays well. And some games it will be average and be ripped to shreds because the QB does not play well. For further details read last year's threads.

Average maybe, but "a little worse?" Not a chance, barring injury. Wood and Bell being healthy is a huge boost. Wood moving to center is also a boost. And having guys knowing the system will be a big boost. Heck even having a RT who is plugged-in early and jells with the other guys will be a big boost.

Average maybe, but "a little worse?" Not a chance, barring injury. Wood and Bell being healthy is a huge boost. Wood moving to center is also a boost. And having guys knowing the system will be a big boost. Heck even having a RT who is plugged-in early and jells with the other guys will be a big boost.

Yup

Per Rotoworld it looks like the Falcons will keep Clabo, but Willie Colon may be available. If healthy he could turn that position from our greatest liability to one of our greatest strengths.

Who are they going to let-go? Dahl? Blalock? That's not good for Matty Ryan.

• 3 weeks later...

What are Terrance Pennington, Ben Sobieski, Aaron Mertz, Kyle Calloway, Jamie Nails, and that long, long list of others doing these days? Throw in the list of the scrub free agents over the last decade and this list gets substantially longer.

Kyle Calloway Just signed with the Ravens -> http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5966/kyle-calloway