Los Angeles and the teachers unions

So it's just guilt by "association" in GA.

Yeah...the NEA has office space in Atlanta, so they're at fault...even they have exactly no power to do anything.

Blind criticism of unions is as asinine as pBills' blind support of them.

People display a stunning level of stupidity in many areas of life these days, but few can top those at the forefront of the "too much homework" movement.

Naturally, lazy teachers (and their union) are all for it and hide behind the laughable "poor kids live in chaotic homes so homework is unfair" excuse. Yup, that strategy will certainly help lift them out of poverty. :doh:

However, it is heartening to know my children will compete in the job market someday with the offspring of people like this:

p.s. the last one is my favorite. Awesome lesson to teach kids as they prepare to enter adulthood. "It doesn't matter if you complete the task, as long as you put in a half-ass effort for *gasp* a whole hour!

So from the quotes you posted you are pretty annoyed with piss-poor parenting, yet blame the teachers and call them lazy. :thumbsup:

Yeah...the NEA has office space in Atlanta, so they're at fault...even they have exactly no power to do anything.

Blind support, not necessarily true. If you have read anything I have written before you would know that I too find fault with some union members and policies. That being said, I do support the Labor Movement... a strong middle-class means a strong U.S. simple as that.

So from the quotes you posted you are pretty annoyed with piss-poor parenting, yet blame the teachers and call them lazy.

First, 'Lazy teachers' doesn't mean ALL teachers, it just means the lazy ones. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Second, lazy parents are lazy teachers are cut from the same cloth. They are both at fault, along with the school administrations and their ridiculous policies on pretty much everything.

Blind support, not necessarily true. If you have read anything I have written before you would know that I too find fault with some union members and policies. That being said, I do support the Labor Movement... a strong middle-class means a strong U.S. simple as that.

Yeah, right, 'find fault with union policies' yet opposes every single attempt at union reform and instead gives the hollow 'they're not perfect' line over and over.

First, 'Lazy teachers' doesn't mean ALL teachers, it just means the lazy ones. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Second, lazy parents are lazy teachers are cut from the same cloth. They are both at fault, along with the school administrations and their ridiculous policies on pretty much everything.

Yeah, right, 'find fault with union policies' yet opposes every single attempt at union reform and instead gives the hollow 'they're not perfect' line over and over.

Sorry just used to you labeling all union people as lazy and bad. I have also said many times most union people do not mind paying more towards their benefits and pensions... however they do not like being demonized while having to do that. I also love how union reform comes from those who hate and bash unions all of the time. And they wonder why they get a fight.

So, no points for double entendre?

Now this is really some funny stuff.

Sorry just used to you labeling all union people as lazy and bad. I have also said many times most union people do not mind paying more towards their benefits and pensions... however they do not like being demonized while having to do that. I also love how union reform comes from those who hate and bash unions all of the time. And they wonder why they get a fight.

What kind of blithering idiocy is this?? Oh yeah, if we just asked nicer, I'm sure all the union people would gladly pay more for their pensions and healthcare!

And who else is 'union reform' going to come from? The unions and their sycophants? LOL -- long history of THAT happening! :doh:

My fix is to make the school day 4 hours longer and increase the length of the school year. Problem solved

Step off my afternoon TV time and 51% of the days each year spent not in school!!!

What kind of blithering idiocy is this?? Oh yeah, if we just asked nicer, I'm sure all the union people would gladly pay more for their pensions and healthcare!

And who else is 'union reform' going to come from? The unions and their sycophants? LOL -- long history of THAT happening! :doh:

Step off my afternoon TV time and 51% of the days each year spent not in school!!!

They can becoming evening half hours of watching the History Channel and CSPAN!

NEA has a state and local affiliates...but don't/can't offer any sort of services or support to teachers w/r/t school administrators (i.e. no collective bargaining, grievance resolution, arbitration - basically, they're allowed to have offices and offer discount car insurance to members.)

That's not a union any more than we are.

In fact, the GAE goes out of their way to avoid calling themselves a "union". They're an "association.".

Not part of the NEA at all. The teachers in question are the Atlanta Federation of Teachers, Local 1565, part of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). The AFT is the second largest education union after the NEA, and is a broader union. They represent a greater variety of education-related groups outside of K-12 teachers such as bus drivers, graduate students, etc, and are historically more militant.

For the record, AFT raised questions at the end of 2005.

http://www.ajc.com/news/volume-3-conclusions-why-1000781.html

Not part of the NEA at all. The teachers in question are the Atlanta Federation of Teachers, Local 1565, part of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). The AFT is the second largest education union after the NEA, and is a broader union. They represent a greater variety of education-related groups outside of K-12 teachers such as bus drivers, graduate students, etc, and are historically more militant.

For the record, AFT raised questions at the end of 2005.

http://www.ajc.com/news/volume-3-conclusions-why-1000781.html

I'm familiar with the AFT, I used to work for them. Want to know why they only issued a "complaint," and did nothing else? Because Local 1565 is basically a fiction, run out of the national office in DC. AFT has less of a presence in Atlanta than NEA does - and neither one had any ability to influence this case.