Los Angeles and the teachers unions

People display a stunning level of stupidity in many areas of life these days, but few can top those at the forefront of the "too much homework" movement.

Naturally, lazy teachers (and their union) are all for it and hide behind the laughable "poor kids live in chaotic homes so homework is unfair" excuse. Yup, that strategy will certainly help lift them out of poverty. :doh:

However, it is heartening to know my children will compete in the job market someday with the offspring of people like this:

One mother said she found her 6-year-old's homework so stressful — timing his reading, helping him to memorize "sight words" and searching his backpack to make sure he completed all the assignments — that she stopped eating dinner and started losing weight.
Susan Hetsroni, a mother of three, was enraged when her son's seventh-grade English teacher assigned a five-page paper over winter break. The family had planned a splurge, a trip to the Bahamas. Her 13-year-old wound up writing the paper from the business center of the hotel.
Laurie Feldman, a mother of three, was frustrated by the amount of time her 14-year-old son's math homework required. She and her husband, a math professor, decided that he would complete any of the math homework that wasn't finished by their son after an hour of "reasonable effort.

p.s. the last one is my favorite. Awesome lesson to teach kids as they prepare to enter adulthood. "It doesn't matter if you complete the task, as long as you put in a half-ass effort for *gasp* a whole hour!

Edited by KD in CT

People display a stunning level of stupidity in many areas of life these days, but few can top those at the forefront of the "too much homework" movement.

Naturally, lazy teachers (and their union) are all for it and hide behind the laughable "poor kids live in chaotic homes so homework is unfair" excuse. Yup, that strategy will certainly help lift them out of poverty. :doh:

However, it is heartening to know my children will compete in the job market someday with the offspring of people like this:

p.s. the last one is my favorite. Awesome lesson to teach kids as they prepare to enter adulthood. "It doesn't matter if you complete the task, as long as you put in a half-ass effort for *gasp* a whole hour!

They talk about the poor kids, then they quote upper middle class parents?

:wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by Gary M

They talk about the poor kids, then they quote upper middle class parents?

:wallbash::wallbash:

My favorite was '" "I was like, 'Step off of my vacation time!'" said Hetsroni.' Complaining about English homework. :wallbash:

I can think of more than a few ways that isn't as bad as it seems.

Instead of listing them, I'll just point out how utterly freakin' retarded the state of CA is to worry about $16k of welfare spent on luxuries - I guarantee you it cost more money to find the problem than the problem actually costs.

I can think of more than a few ways that isn't as bad as it seems.

Instead of listing them, I'll just point out how utterly freakin' retarded the state of CA is to worry about $16k of welfare spent on luxuries - I guarantee you it cost more money to find the problem than the problem actually costs.

There is no cost to find the the problem, because the problem is that they are giving money away. all they have to do is stop it. And they stop all the fraud. :wallbash:

There is no cost to find the the problem, because the problem is that they are giving money away. all they have to do is stop it. And they stop all the fraud. :wallbash:

:lol: No cost associated?

Have you seen how US governments work? At any level? Sure, $16k is only one man-month of work...maybe...but when you throw in management oversight, all the memos, meetings, pre-meetings, contractor overruns, etc., it adds up really quickly. And that's just to find the expenses...now you want to SOLVE the problem, too? :lol:

Government is not efficient. You can't optimize it. You want to save money? Don't worry about the two people every year that spend their entitlement money on cruise ships.

:lol: No cost associated?

Have you seen how US governments work? At any level? Sure, $16k is only one man-month of work...maybe...but when you throw in management oversight, all the memos, meetings, pre-meetings, contractor overruns, etc., it adds up really quickly. And that's just to find the expenses...now you want to SOLVE the problem, too? :lol:

Government is not efficient. You can't optimize it. You want to save money? Don't worry about the two people every year that spend their entitlement money on cruise ships.

No, no fact finding mission, no investigation, just stop giving the money away and fire everyone involved.

No, no fact finding mission, no investigation, just stop giving the money away and fire everyone involved.

You're an idiot. Never mind that I was talking about money they'd have to spend to audit the program to find the money they're wasting...how do you think that system works that you can identify money being wasted, and fire "everybody involved", with no cost associated? You and Dave_in_Norfolk living on opposite sides of the same unreality?

You're an idiot. Never mind that I was talking about money they'd have to spend to audit the program to find the money they're wasting...how do you think that system works that you can identify money being wasted, and fire "everybody involved", with no cost associated? You and Dave_in_Norfolk living on opposite sides of the same unreality?

I already identified the waste, it's called the welfare system.

Let me put your immediate fears to rest. The union will make sure no one loses their job or their fat taxpayer-funded pension over this issue.

No teachers' unions in Georgia.

In fact...as much as I loathe the teachers' unions, this is one situation they probably would have mitigated, considering that administrators were pressuring teachers to commit fraud or lose their jobs. For all their considerable cronyistic flaws, there's no way in hell the NEA or AFT would have let that **** go on - I'm actually surprised that AFT, at least (I haven't checked the NEA today), hasn't jumped all over this as pro-union propagandizing.

No teachers' unions in Georgia.

In fact...as much as I loathe the teachers' unions, this is one situation they probably would have mitigated, considering that administrators were pressuring teachers to commit fraud or lose their jobs. For all their considerable cronyistic flaws, there's no way in hell the NEA or AFT would have let that **** go on - I'm actually surprised that AFT, at least (I haven't checked the NEA today), hasn't jumped all over this as pro-union propagandizing.

That's probably true.

Will be interesting to see if anyone down there has the stomach to do some real housecleaning. My money says no.

You sure about that?

NEA has a state and local affiliates...but don't/can't offer any sort of services or support to teachers w/r/t school administrators (i.e. no collective bargaining, grievance resolution, arbitration - basically, they're allowed to have offices and offer discount car insurance to members.)

That's not a union any more than we are.

In fact, the GAE goes out of their way to avoid calling themselves a "union". They're an "association.".

Edited by DC Tom