Met Former 3rd Round Draft Pick Matt Stevens

Last night at a work event in Philly, we met former 1996 3rd round draft pick Matt Stevens. Him and his fiancee live in the apartment building where the work event was and they came in and intorduced themselves. There was an older thread about what had happened to him since he has been out of football. To tell you the truth, I had no idea he played for and was drafted by the Bills. When we met, his fiance said that he was a former Philadelphia Eagle and he played 8 seasons in the NFL. We talked about music. He was wearing a Hatebreed shirt and had tattoos all over his body. He was a little stand offish and shy, but when we said that we worked in advertising for the Phillies and the Eagles, he opened up a little bit.

Here is some more information about Matt for those of you who don't remember who he was: Matt Stevens walks again with new device

Last night at a work event in Philly, we met former 1996 3rd round draft pick Matt Stevens. Him and his fiancee live in the apartment building where the work event was and they came in and intorduced themselves. There was an older thread about what had happened to him since he has been out of football. To tell you the truth, I had no idea he played for and was drafted by the Bills. When we met, his fiance said that he was a former Philadelphia Eagle and he played 8 seasons in the NFL. We talked about music. He was wearing a Hatebreed shirt and had tattoos all over his body. He was a little stand offish and shy, but when we said that we worked in advertising for the Phillies and the Eagles, he opened up a little bit.

Here is some more information about Matt for those of you who don't remember who he was: Matt Stevens walks again with new device

I remember him clearly. If I am not mistaken he played on the last couple Bills playoff teams. He just started to play pretty much full time for Buffalo then he was cut. A friend of mine who is real close friends with Jim Kelly and has been on the staff of his camp since it started, told me that Stevens failed a drug test and that pretty much got him tossed out of Buffalo. Now whether that is true or not, who knows, but they do keep the first failure private in the NFL.

I didnt remember why he got tossed from or left the Bills. I remember him as a 3rd rounder out of Appalachian State and had a kneeinjury coming out of college and was thought to be a possible steal in the 3rd.......

Didn't it have something to do with a suspension for an illegal supplement?

Not that I remember...Only the injury and the fact that he was thought to be a 1st Round caliber talent before he blew out his knee...He was really highly thought of coming out...I remember him well...Had no idea about the accident...That sucks...

As I recall he got tossed by the Bills (much to my surprise), picked up by the Eagles, then suspended for the supplement. Seems like the Bills might have known something was up. Here is a link that more or less confirms this, its the nfl version of the Mitchell report. You'll find Matt's name under the Eagles, not the Bills. Mike Golic (Mike and Mike) is also on the list.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080921/news_1s21nfllist.html

Edited by Steve O

Yes, it did. (He admitted it; perhaps someone can even find a link.) He got suspended for it. He had a solid rookie year, but the Bills had a lot of DBs and with the supplement suspension, he was let go. He played on the '01 New England Patriots Super Bowl winning team, in fact.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattstevens/2503138/profile

I remember Matt pretty well: long hair out the back of the helmet, made a few key plays/interceptions in his one season here and also the fact that he was cut pretty abruptly. It was surprising to see that he only had played one year with us, but I saw him plenty when he bounced around the league (Philly, Wash, etc.) so maybe that's why I thought his career here was longer.

Even though it was 15 years ago, I was modestly surprised when he was waived because he had a respectable first year. The failed drug test explains that I guess.

Hopefully he gets some mobility back with the device, all the best to #23 Matt Stevens.

Yes, it did. (He admitted it; perhaps someone can even find a link.) He got suspended for it. He had a solid rookie year, but the Bills had a lot of DBs and with the supplement suspension, he was let go. He played on the '01 New England Patriots Super Bowl winning team, in fact.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mattstevens/2503138/profile

I did not remember that... B-)