Ralph has been Good

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're hypothetically assuming that additional games will be played outside of Orchard Park? I'm confused.

Yes, sorry, that is the turn that the discussion between Doc and I took. He said there is a difference between moving the team, and just moving games. I then said that is true, but only up to moving so many games. Then it's just moving the team without changing the name or moving the offices.

Get it? Or do you need further explanation of this rocket surgery? :nana:;)

I think we'd have to see pictures of your wife, and her sister.

Wife on the left...

So I can cheat on my wife if its only once a year? I love her the other 364 days. And Im only banging her sister.

You're not leaving your wife, are you?

And we're still talking about 1 game. We can revisit this if more move to Toronto.

. . . There are several methods which he might use to influence the question of what happens next that actually should heighten the chances the team remains here (for example he could deed the Bills to an irrevocable trust which he sets up upon his death with a mission of educating the public and kids about athletic involvement. This method can be used to escape all of what so politicos call the death tax. Further, this new 501c3 could be set-up with whomever he designates as original staff and for whatever reasonable compensation he wants to set them up for life.. or he and his lawyers who know more than I have forgotten about trusts and estates might do something else brilliant I do not have the knowledge to create.

The additional piece beyond that which your ideas seem to incorrectly dismiss is that the NFL essentially has a veto over the highest bidder so the statement that the team MUST be sold to the highest bidder is just factually wrong.

If this point is part of your thinking then OK. If it is not then your point is factually wrong.

Here's what the relevant part of the 2006 version of the Constitution and Bylaws of the NFL says about transfer of membership in the league - - it controls ALL transfers, whether during Ralph's life or after his death:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf [see Article III, section 3.5("Transfer of Membership"), specifically at pages 8/292 through 9/292]

"3.5 No membership, or any interest therein, may be sold, assigned, or otherwise transferred in whole or in part except in accordance with and subject to the following provisions:

A. Application for the sale, transfer or assignment of a membership, or of any interest therein, must be made in writing to the Commissioner. Upon receipt of such application, the Commissioner is empowered to require from applicant and applicant shall furnish such information as the Commissioners deems appropriate, including:

(1) The names and addresses of each of the buyers, tranferees or assignees thereof;

(2) The price to be paid for such sale, transfer, or assignment, and the terms of payment, including a description of the security for the unpaid balance, if any;

(3) A banking reference for each buyer, transferee, or assignee; and

(4) If the buyer, transferee or assignee is a corporation, a copy of the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws thereof, together with a copy of the share certificates of each class of stock to be outstanding, the names and addresses of the directors and officers thereof, the names and the addresses of the stockholders therein, and the price paid or to be paid and the time of payment for said stock, a copy of any proposed voting trust agreement and of any voting trust certificates.

B. Upon receipt thereof, the Commissioner shall conduct such investigation as he deems appropriate. Upon completion thereof, the Commissioner shall submit the proposed transfer to the members for approval, together with his recommendation thereon, and all information in respect thereto that the Commissioner deems appropriate. All sales, transfers, or assignments, except a transfer referred to in section 3.5© hereof, shall only become effective if approved by the affirmative vote of not less than three-fourths or 20, whichever is greater, of the members of the League.

C. If any person owning or holding a membership, or an interest therein, dies, such membership or interest therein may be transferred to a member of the "immediate family" of the deceased without requiring the consent or approval of the members of the League nor the Commissioner. Similarly, if any person owning or holding a membership or an interest therein, by stock ownership or otherwise, seeks to transfer such membership or any interest therein by gift, such membership or the interest therein my be transferred to the donee if the donee is a member of the "immediate family" of the donor. In such event, no consent or approval of the members of the League or the Commissioner shall be required to complete such transfer. The "immediate family" for the purpose of this paragraph shall mean the wife, child, mother, father, brothers and sisters, or any other lineal descendant of the deceased or donor. In all other cases involving death or transfers by gift, any person succeeding to a membership or an interest therein, whether by gift, will, intestacy, or otherwise, must be first investigated by the Commissioner in such manner as the Commissioner deems appropriate. Upon the completion thereof, the Commissioner shall submit such succession or transfer to the membership for approval and shall accompany the same with his recommendation thereon. No such succession or transfer shall be effective unless first approved by the affirmative vote of not less than three-fourths or 20, whichever is greater, of the members of the League."

===================================================================

It's not clear to me that the type of transfer you suggest would avoid the requirement of approval by at least 3/4 of the other owners. As I read the above provisions, the only type of transfer that avoids the approval vote procedure is a transfer to the owner's "immediate family."

BTW, for those who don't think that a corporation can own an NFL franchise, note that section 3.5(A)(4) above specifically contemplates that the buyer of a membership (i.e., the buyer of an NFL franchise or team) can be a corporation.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I'm not exactly sure how we got to comparing Kraft vs Ralph.

Remember, my initial point was that Buffalo is probably not one of the top tier economical cities in the US.

Wouldn't most of us agree that economically, it might be more profitable to be in Boston than Buffalo? Can we really begin to speculate on how Kraft would be in Buffalo? If I remember correctly, he just got a new stadium.

He never claimed the team would be sold to the highest bidder. Since his wife and daughters don't want the team, it will be sold posthumously, and whatever the next owner does is beyond his control.

Really? He never said he wasnt going to sell to the highest bidder either. And by not selling to someone that would keep the team in Buffalo, it appears he is going for the highest bidder. We'll have to hope the NFL keeps the team here.

After your fist comment about him never threatening to leave was completely shot to hell, you'd think you would learn your leason and just shut up. Its obvious you dont know what you are talking about whatsoever.

Really? He never said he wasnt going to sell to the highest bidder either. And by not selling to someone that would keep the team in Buffalo, it appears he is going for the highest bidder. We'll have to hope the NFL keeps the team here.

After your fist comment about him never threatening to leave was completely shot to hell, you'd think you would learn your leason and just shut up. Its obvious you dont know what you are talking about whatsoever.

Where did the team move again? Yeah, that's what I thought. Go back to lurking, newbie. You're out of your league here.