To those who call Ralph Wilson cheap...

He also is one of the largest donors to Hospice of Buffalo and was one of the primary donors of the hospice house which bears his name. I spent some time there with my dying father and I very glad that it was there. Regardless of what you think of him as an owner he is a very giving person and has done more a lot of good for erie county. The personal attacks on him for trying to run a businsss (yes the Bills are a bunsiness) are absurd.

tax write-off

That is exactly correct. I commend these wealthy people who donate to charities, but alot of times (not all), they only do it to offset the millions or billions they make on their business and don't want to reinvest back into their business. People like Ralph are advise to donate money to a couple charities each year, otherwise it kills them at tax time. He might not even have ever heard of some of the places he donates to, and he might have, but often times those places are picked by their "people." Also, I don't remember anyone ever saying that Ralph is a bad person, I sure haven't. Myself and dozens of other Bills diehards have said, and will continue to say that he is a bad owner, which is a total different ballgame. This board is about the Buffalo Bills, not normally about judging a person's character or community involvement/tax write-offs.

Edited by billsfreak

as a percentage of net worth, i'll bet his philanthropy is on par with the average person who donates to his church, the united way and whatever other charities they may support. "to whom much is given, much is required". but good for him and for roswell.

That is exactly correct. I commend these wealthy people who donate to charities, but alot of times (not all), they only do it to offset the millions or billions they make on their business and don't want to reinvest back into their business. People like Ralph are advise to donate money to a couple charities each year, otherwise it kills them at tax time. He might not even have ever heard of some of the places he donates to, and he might have, but often times those places are picked by their "people." Also, I don't remember anyone ever saying that Ralph is a bad person, I sure haven't. Myself and dozens of other Bills diehards have said, and will continue to say that he is a bad owner, which is a total different ballgame. This board is about the Buffalo Bills, not normally about judging a person's character or community involvement/tax write-offs.

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, billsfreak, but it sure reads as though you're painting Ralph a villain here:

Not to mention selling out 12% of his regular season games to another country, and puts those extra millions in his pockets. All the while holding the threat of moving the Bills out of Buffalo over the most loyal of fans heads as an excuse for having the worst run franchise in the NFL-hands down.

It sure doesn't sound like you think he's a good person...

People love to rip the rich...classical class warfare...If it weren't for the rich, a lot of people wouldn't have a job....And I am not rich!!!!

This is true, although I think it's because people have the misconception that there is only a finite amount of wealth in the world, and that one rich person is depriving thousands of poor people from creating their own wealth, but that's a whole different discussion.

as a percentage of net worth, i'll bet his philanthropy is on par with the average person who donates to his church, the united way and whatever other charities they may support. "to whom much is given, much is required". but good for him and for roswell.

Perhaps, as a percentage, you're right. From the standpoint of the charity that is receiving it, however, I'm sure they're happier to receive $10 million from Ralph than $10 from you or I, despite what they may say publicly. Now, that doesn't mean our $10 isn't appreciated (or necessary for that matter), it just means that his $10 million will do way, way more than our $10 will. As you said, "to whom much is given, much is required"...but I'd tweak that to say "to whom much is awarded, much is required", since Ralph did build his own fortune.

Again, I'm not meaning to denigrate your statement, but rather to augment it...hope that makes sense.

So you rip Ralph constantly for being cheap and miserly as if he sits there counting his millions, yet then you insinuate that he has no idea where his millions are donated or how much of them are? Doesn't add up to me.

I used to think you were just excessively negative, but after this post, i realize you're nothing but a low-life dirtbag.

So you rip Ralph constantly for being cheap and miserly as if he sits there counting his millions, yet then you insinuate that he has no idea where his millions are donated or how much of them are? Doesn't add up to me.

I used to think you were just excessively negative, but after this post, i realize you're nothing but a low-life dirtbag.

Ralph gets a tax write off; The charity gets money - nobody loses. Except maybe the Bills... but that tends to be an "on the field" issue.

At the end of the day, there are owners out there who are obnoxiously obvious with their greed and could care less about the team (as any fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates will tell you) so it could be much worse.

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, billsfreak, but it sure reads as though you're painting Ralph a villain here:

Not to mention selling out 12% of his regular season games to another country, and puts those extra millions in his pockets. All the while holding the threat of moving the Bills out of Buffalo over the most loyal of fans heads as an excuse for having the worst run franchise in the NFL-hands down.

It sure doesn't sound like you think he's a good person...

Since you have nothing else to do except track what I post and cut and paste them here, show me where I said that Ralph is a bad person. Everything thing I have ever said negative about Ralph, and yes there has been plenty, all have to do with his piss-poor running and management of the Buffalo Bills organization. I don't think Ralph is a villain at all, in fact there was a time 40 or so years ago where he was a good owner too, but the state of the NFL passed him by years ago. When he was an effective owner, there wasn't free agency, huge contracts, etc. so it was easy for him to put the money in his pockets, all owners did.

Thought you might find interesting the last person listed as big time donors who stepped up to help fund a new building at Roswell Park

http://www.buffalorising.com/2011/06/10-million-gift-to-help-roswell-park-expansion.html

Yes, when it comes to charitable donation, Ralph is extremely generous. He is always donating to hurricane relief, Roswell, etc. Keep in mind this all can be deducted from one's taxes. But still, he deserves to be commended for his generosity.

When it comes to running the football team, he is cheap. When people say Ralph is cheap, they're talking about his football management. There's a big difference. I don't recall anyone saying wasn't socially consious. You're taking two different things and conflating them.

Since the highest individual & corporate tax rates are under 40%, explain to me how giving to charity reduces ones cash outflow. No matter how much he gives, he isn't able to recoup over 60% of that. Now giving enough may bring his taxes down a little, but the money is still going out in a higher negative amount. A real cheapskate wouldn't give a dime to charity.

Since the highest individual & corporate tax rates are under 40%, explain to me how giving to charity reduces ones cash outflow. No matter how much he gives, he isn't able to recoup over 60% of that. Now giving enough may bring his taxes down a little, but the money is still going out in a higher negative amount. A real cheapskate wouldn't give a dime to charity.

and a real, very wealthy philanthropist would sign the gates-buffett giving pledge (50% of wealth)

Since you have nothing else to do except track what I post and cut and paste them here, show me where I said that Ralph is a bad person. Everything thing I have ever said negative about Ralph, and yes there has been plenty, all have to do with his piss-poor running and management of the Buffalo Bills organization. I don't think Ralph is a villain at all, in fact there was a time 40 or so years ago where he was a good owner too, but the state of the NFL passed him by years ago. When he was an effective owner, there wasn't free agency, huge contracts, etc. so it was easy for him to put the money in his pockets, all owners did.

No reason to get defensive billsfreak. If you don't want people to look up your post history, perhaps an open forum isn't a good place for you to dwell.

My comment was that you certainly don't seem to paint Ralph as a good person. Seldom do the folks that I know use phrases like "lining their own pockets" and "holding a threat over someone's head" to describe someone that they believe to be anything other than a bad person. You don't need to play the "show me" card in this discussion, as I think it would be more appropriate of you to come right out and say what you think of Ralph Wilson if you want it to be on the record. As far as I can tell, your only comments about the man have been negative.

So, regardless of whether or not you've used the exact words "bad person" verbatim, it's more than reasonable, in my opinion, to interperet your relatively consistent public statements as a negative toward the person, and not necessarily the job he does running his organization. In fact, some would say that putting millions in his own pockets is the de facto primary reason that one would own a business, so your defense that your comments reflect how you feel about his business accumen don't exactly ring true either.

As I said, if you feel Ralph is a good person, go ahead and set the record straight. Otherwise, please consider that your past comments about the man (of which there are plenty) are all we have upon which to infer your feelings about him.

Edited by thebandit27

No reason to get defensive billsfreak. If you don't want people to look up your post history, perhaps an open forum isn't a good place for you to dwell.

My comment was that you certainly don't seem to paint Ralph as a good person. Seldom do the folks that I know use phrases like "lining their own pockets" and "holding a threat over someone's head" to describe someone that they believe to be anything other than a bad person. You don't need to play the "show me" card in this discussion, as I think it would be more appropriate of you to come right out and say what you think of Ralph Wilson if you want it to be on the record. As far as I can tell, your only comments about the man have been negative.

So, regardless of whether or not you've used the exact words "bad person" verbatim, it's more than reasonable, in my opinion, to interperet your relatively consistent public statements as a negative toward the person, and not necessarily the job he does running his organization. In fact, some would say that putting millions in his own pockets is the de facto primary reason that one would own a business, so your defense that your comments reflect how you feel about his business accumen don't exactly ring true either.

As I said, if you feel Ralph is a good person, go ahead and set the record straight. Otherwise, please consider that your past comments about the man (of which there are plenty) are all we have upon which to infer your feelings about him.

Can I get an AMEN??!!! :worthy:

Big difference between Bad Owner and Bad Person but after saying it over and over I guess you can't comprehend that. Sorry if I am typing words or phrases that you cannot understand. There have been countless businessmen who were great people, but were terrible at running their businesses and that is the category that Ralph now fits into. It is real simple? Also, there is a big difference between negative and being a realist, which is what I am. Anyone that I know, or watch Bills games with will say I am not negative enough, but that is for the team itself, not the guy who ran the organization into the ground.

Edited by billsfreak

Big difference between Bad Owner and Bad Person but after saying it over and over I guess you can't comprehend that. Sorry if I am typing words or phrases that you cannot understand. There have been countless businessmen who were great people, but were terrible at running their businesses and that is the category that Ralph now fits into. It is real simple? Also, there is a big difference between negative and being a realist, which is what I am. Anyone that I know, or watch Bills games with will say I am not negative enough, but that is for the team itself, not the guy who ran the organization into the ground.

It seems to me the fatal flaw in your reasoning is that you define the bolded phrase from the perspective of a fan, and not a franchise owner. And that's why your crusade falls upon deaf ears. Ralph isn't spending money the way YOU want him to spend it -- that doesn't mean he isn't running a successful business, particularly if profitability is his goal at the end of the day.

Don't you think it's about time to step down off that soapbox?

I love Mr. Wilson. I lived in Buffalo when he brought the Bills here. Best thing that ever happened to Buffalo. They still are the best ting that ever happened to Buffalo. Say what you want but The Bills have made a lot of us happy over the past years thru many bad times and I can only thank him for that.