Red Sox signed....

wwovince

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm a diehard Cubs fan...TiVoed all the games this year and watched them. And I came to the conclusion that Matt Clement is alot like Drew Bledsoe...he's a tease. He had a great first half, then after the All-Star break he couldn't keep pitches out of the hitter's ribs or due to his non-sinking sinker in the ballpark. His record should have been alot better in the first half, but the Cubs couldn't score, but in August and September (when good starts really matter) his ERA was 5.60 and 7.36 respectively...I'd take a dominant Randy Johnson, who's monthly ERA never climbed over 3.92, for two years over a mediocre Matt Clement anyday...especially if winning a title was my goal, but alas I am a Cubs fan so this whole not signing Matt Clement thing will probably blow up in our collective faces when Clement becomes a 20 game and Cy Young winner.

Clement could be dominant if he gets his command down.  Maybe Schilling and Wells who basically walk NO ONE could help him with that.      I like the signing.  I'd still like to see them work a trade with Florida for A.J Burnett.

165209[/snapback]

If anybody should have helped him it should have been Greg Maddux. They both rely on sinking fastballs (though Matt's is faster than Greg's) but Maddux is much more consistent than Clement because his arm slot and release point don't change. Clement drop's down causing his slider to spin and his sinker to stay belt high when he gets tired. This is odd for sinker-ballers because they usually get better as they get fatigued, but because of Matt's fugged up release point its hard for him to stay consistent. Unless he changes that he will always be inconsistent, and I don't know how much baseball you've played, or more importantly how high you pitched in terms of competition, but changing a release point is quite possibly one of the hardest things in baseball to change especially when you have been used to one thing for such a long time.

Clement could be dominant if he gets his command down.

165209[/snapback]

Clement will be 31 years old in the middle of next season. A lot of people have been waiting for a long time for him to get his command down.

How can the RedSox rotation be getting younger when they signed David Wells?  Sorry, I'm not a baseball fan, but that just doesn't make sense.

165314[/snapback]

Because that's how Red Sox fans are. Even after finally winning the World Series, they still can't see straight. If Boston signed Pavano and Wright and was on the verge of signing Randy, and the Yankees signed Clement and Wells, they would have the complete opposite view.

If Boston traded Manny to the Yankees for Enrique Wilson, they would somehow spin it that the Red Sox got the better end of the deal.

Clement could be dominant if he gets his command down.  Maybe Schilling and Wells who basically walk NO ONE could help him with that. 

Yeah, we can use the fine job Wells did in mentoring Jeff Weaver as the prime example.

Cub fans BoSox fans, what's the difference? That brings me to my favorite baseball rant... The same can probably be said for fans of both teams... (Lee Elia, 1983):

:devil::D

[WARNING: Not for the gentle natured... :P;) ]:

F*ck those f*ckin' fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you, rippin' every f*ckin' thing you do. I'll tell you one f*ckin' thing, I hope we get f*ckin' hotter than sh*t, just to stuff it up them 3,000 f*ckin' people that show up every f*ckin' day, because if they're the real Chicago f*ckin' fans, they can kiss my f*ckin' ass right downtown and PRINT IT.

They're really, really behind you around here...my f*ckin' ass. What the f*ck am I supposed to do, go out there and let my f*ckin' players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the f*ckin' nickel-dime people who turn up? The motherf*ckers don't even work. That's why they're out at the f*ckin' game. They oughta go out and get a f*ckin' job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a f*ckin' living. Eighty-five percent of the f*ckin' world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A f*ckin' playground for the cocks*ckers. Rip them motherf*ckers. Rip them f*ckin' cocks*ckers like the f*ckin' players. We got guys bustin' their f*ckin' ass, and them f*ckin' people boo. And that's the Cubs? My f*ckin' ass. They talk about the great f*ckin' support the players get around here. I haven't see it this f*ckin' year. Everybody associated with this organization have been winners their whole f*ckin' life. Everybody. And the credit is not given in that respect.

Alright, they don't show because we're 5 and 14...and unfortunately, that's the criteria of them dumb fifteen motherf*ckin' percent that come out to day baseball. The other eighty-five percent are earning a living. I tell you, it'll take more than a 5 and 12 or 5 and 14 to destroy the makeup of this club. I guarantee you that. There's some f*ckin' pros out there that wanna win. But you're stuck in a f*ckin' stigma of the f*ckin' Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals an all that cheap sh*t. It's unbelievable. It really is. It's a disheartening f*ckin' situation that we're in right now. Anybody who was associated with the Cub organization four or five years ago that came back and sees the multitude of progress that's been made will understand that if they're baseball people, that 5 and 14 doesn't negate all that work. We got 143 f*ckin' games left.

What I'm tryin' to say is don't rip them f*ckin' guys out there. Rip me. If you wanna rip somebody, rip my f*ckin' ass. But don't rip them f*ckin' guys 'cause they're givin' everything they can give. And right now they're tryin' to do more than God gave 'em, and that's why we make the simple mistakes. That's exactly why.

Matt Clement to a 3 year deal for about 25 million. Our rotation gets younger the Spankees get older ill take that any day. Now no more baseball talk from me ALL BILLS!!!

165128[/snapback]

I would say that is a bad signing. I like the Pavano and Wright signings better than that, and I'm not really thrilled about either of them as a Yankees fan. The Randy Johnson acquisition is by a great one and almost on par with the Schilling signing by Boston last season. They now have a guy who can put away the Sox/Twins/Oakland 3 times in a 7 game series, something they haven't had, IMO, since Wells great year. The bonus is that he is fun to watch because he throws strikes and gets a shitload of strikeouts.

You call someone a retard and yet you use one of the useless stats to evaluate a pitcher. Win/Loss records are meaningless to a GM.

Why don't you educate yourself on WHIP, ERA+ and Park factors and come bac when you know something

165533[/snapback]

Really? Wow, and I thought wins and losses were how championships were won? Silly me.

Park factors? You mean like a flyball pitcher with a VERY short field behind him? Those kind?

I found an interesting stat on Clement for the idiot that says hes a flyball pitcher. He was 4th or 5th in MLB in K/9 in pitched and he only gave up 4 or more runs in a game 1 time all year. We will see what happens this coming season. Go SOX (World Champions)

GO BUFFALO!!!!

I found an interesting stat on Clement for the idiot that says hes a flyball pitcher. He was 4th or 5th in MLB in K/9 in pitched and he only gave up 4 or more runs in a game 1 time all year. We will see what happens this coming season. Go SOX (World Champions)

GO BUFFALO!!!!

165577[/snapback]

So? Does that mean he's not a flyball pitcher (especially when his sinker ain't)?

Does it mean that he's not a .500 pitcher for his career?

Welcome to Boston's version of Jeff Weaver. He'll tantalize and tease, but mostly disappoint.

Clement's Game Log From Last Season