Mel Kyper Talks Bills

Probably you need ESPN Insider to see the contents.

Yes for the entire article (It includes all the AFC East team). However, the insider snippet that is exposed for the non-subscriber has the full Bills analysis.

I think Mel along with others can see that Nix has our Bills headed in the right direction . If this :censored: with the lock out would get cleared up the teams could move on with getting some others in FA , which i believe D Whaley will do rather well at !!

When all is said & done with the coaches & players added this year it would not surprise me at all to see the Bills in the play off hunt at the end of the season . That's as long as the NFL get's there head out of there :censored: & get's on with it !!

pretty much what he said 6 weeks ago. Kinda would like to see if he said the same thing about the pats*. He initially blasted them for their picks and said they did the worst in the AFC East.

New England Patriots

Help added: It should have gone without saying the Patriots had the chance to get a lot of impact in the draft and trade for more picks, and they did both. Getting Nate Solder wasn't flashy, but they don't expect to have to draft another franchise quarterback soon, so consider it a pick that helps protect the flashiest position they have. Solder could struggle early, because his play hasn't lived up to his skill set, but he's smart and athletic enough to be a blindside protector at this level, and it's a good priority to target. If second-round-pick Ras-I Dowling is healthy, he should see the field early in nickel situations.

Questions that remain: For a team coming off a 14-2 record, I was a little surprised New England didn't have a greater sense of immediacy. The Pats drafted a pair of running backs (Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley) who add different dimensions and could stick, and a quarterback with great value in Ryan Mallett, but the pass rush that really let them down in 2010 simply has to be upgraded. I do think they'll get more out of a defense that played a lot of youth in 2010, but it seems clear they'll need to find some sacks in free agency.

Next year's help, now: Jared Crick, DE/DT, Nebraska

Crick could have come out for the 2011 draft, but the J.J. Watt of next year's draft should be coveted by 3-4 teams looking for help at defensive end.

pretty much what he said 6 weeks ago. Kinda would like to see if he said the same thing about the pats*. He initially blasted them for their picks and said they did the worst in the AFC East.

And since nothing has happened relating to football in those six weeks, that's not a surprise. This is Kiper just trying to stay relevant. Every one of his analyses should be the same as six weeks ago.

I can't help but think that the Bills had the best draft of the division at least on paper. New England drafted 2 running backs in the second round which isn't a great pick up if you ask me. They had a guy just rush for 1000 yards this season and running for their offense is more of a secondary element. Maybe one back to add depth but two picks?

Their two impact picks were Nate Solider who is a bit of a high end project and on the defensive side of the ball they picked up a CB who wasn't viewed as the best available BUT they ignored key aspects of their defense like their front 7.

The Pats* should have spent at least one of their picks in the first two rounds on their front 7. The Pats* D was one of the worst in the NFL last year and they spent 2 second round picks on 2 running backs?

the one point kyper was deff right on was the fact that a lot of this years draft picks are going to be expected to either play large roles for first year players or even become immediate starters. this is compounded by the fact the the lockout makes it so we can not sign players immediatly and insert them. lets hope this draft is better than some of the recent past (it really seems like a good one though)

I can't help but think that the Bills had the best draft of the division at least on paper. New England drafted 2 running backs in the second round which isn't a great pick up if you ask me. They had a guy just rush for 1000 yards this season and running for their offense is more of a secondary element. Maybe one back to add depth but two picks?

Their two impact picks were Nate Solider who is a bit of a high end project and on the defensive side of the ball they picked up a CB who wasn't viewed as the best available BUT they ignored key aspects of their defense like their front 7.

The Pats* should have spent at least one of their picks in the first two rounds on their front 7. The Pats* D was one of the worst in the NFL last year and they spent 2 second round picks on 2 running backs?

So, New England wend OL and RB. Maybe Bellichick plans to transition to a power running game as his star quarterback enters his twilight years.

Thats actually a scary thought, if you ask me.

So, New England wend OL and RB. Maybe Bellichick plans to transition to a power running game as his star quarterback enters his twilight years.

Thats actually a scary thought, if you ask me.

Both the Patsies* and the Jets were criticized for not addressing a perceived need for pass rushers. I guess neither team was very good in sacks or pressures last year.

Kiper has a tendency to rely too much on the measurables and not enough on the intangibles of a player. There is so much more than combine, college production that goes into building these guys into great players. The thing he hardly ever talks about is are they leaders, are they the first one's in and last to leave, do they have brains, are they high character people? Additionally it matters who is coaching them and where they go. A guy like Schobel or Kyle Williams would be even better on a teams with better defenders like Pittsburgh and New England.