can the nfl tell an owner what to do

could an owner cross the picket line so to speak and say "i am opening my doors to players and coaches" we're tired of all this and when you get it figured out,let me know. meanwhile we as a team will be practicing football.what could the nfl do to said owner???

Edited by billsfan in n.h

could an owner cross the picket line so to speak and say "i am opening my doors to players and coaches" we're tired of all this and when you get it figured out,let me know. meanwhile we as a team will be practicing football.what could the nfl do to said owner???

They are an association with their own set of rules governing membership in that association. They also have their own enforcement mechanism for those rules which can include a whole host of measures including membership termination.

They are an association with their own set of rules governing membership in that association. They also have their own enforcement mechanism for those rules which can include a whole host of measures including membership termination.

How the hell does Al Davis keep his membership then? ;)

The owners are the NFL.

The owners are the NFL.

This issue however is actually what is at the base of the current dispute between the NFL team owners and the NFLPA.

When the team owners simply kicked the butt of the old NFLPA leadership which was attempting to run the NFLPA under the traditional AFL-CIO model under the leadership of Ed Garvey, it created an opportunity for what I call the talented tenth of NFL players led by Gene Upshaw to push through a new model of interaction.

This model saw the NFLPA move to decertify itself as a bargaining agent for the players.

This move would have forced the individual team owners to actually compete against each other in a free market where the bought individual players services.

It was pretty clear very quickly to the owners that they as individual would actually make more money by expanding the social compact which has always made up the individual team owners than they would if they actually competed in a free market with each other.

However, the manner that the modern NFL operates has a big cost to the old guard like Mr. Ralph.

In order to settle the threat of a decert, the NFLPA required the Comprehensive Bargaining Agreement to give them a share of the profits and also checks and balances on controls of te NFL which essentially made the plauers partners with the owners.

One could label the arrangement anyway you wanted, but the simple facts are tbat tbe salary cap guaranteed the players a massive cut of a substantial designated receipts from the gross. In particular the largest share of the primary source of capital from the real client and market TV.

Change began to creep in with the players abandoning their old role of defending players without regard to what a player did to finally participating in the disciplining of players like Pac-Man Jones and Chris Henry who the NFLPA viewed as endangering the wealth of all.

With the last CBA until this dispute, the NFLPA publicly dictated to the owners that the final deal would be for ALL gross receipts with no designation and that the player share would be the vast majority of the gross making thme not only arguably an partner but in fact the majority partner. The team owners ran kicking and screaming to sign the old CBA rather actually compete in a free market,

Under dispute now is that the team owners refuse to open the books and share info with thieir new partners.

The irony is here is that in the court dispute the NFL teams are having to argue against a free market where each players signs an indiviudal personal services contract. It is Brady et al. who are arguing for a free market

It may be that money will simply rule the day and the rich men of the NFL will beat down the free market. I doubt it though as if the courts favor the NFL and the NFLPA continues to decert itself then the owners are not only unilaterally putting their last offer in place, but they are further ignoring indivudal player rights by doing things like restraining trade with the draft without any input from the decerted NFLPA.

I doubt this argument wins out over a more free market approach.