This is Fitz's Team

In the past, Lee Evans expressed faith in JP Losman. I also remember having seen at least one player say that having Trent Edwards on the field gave him a lot of confidence that the Bills could win. Going into last season, Gailey even chose Edwards over Fitz as the starting QB. Just because you hear expressions of support for a QB does not mean he's the long-term answer.

The relevant question is not whether Fitz is or isn't an upgrade over Edwards. (Any more than the relevant question a year ago was whether Edwards was an upgrade over Losman.) The question we should be asking is, "Does Fitz look the way a franchise QB is supposed to look?" In some ways the answer is yes. But Fitz does not have the consistent accuracy you have to have from any long-term answer at QB.

The yards per attempt stat is not "ridiculous," as you put it. I defy you to show me either a) a franchise QB from any era since the merger who's failed to put up a solid yards per attempt stat, or b) a QB with a long career and a very solid yards per attempt stat who was clearly nowhere near being a franchise QB. I strongly doubt you're going to find either one of those players, no matter how hard you look. The yards per attempt stat really is that important. In Fitz's case, his so-so yards per attempt stat indicate a QB who struggles with accuracy, despite the many other things he does well.

I'm sorry, but your stat argument is weak. Stats can be used to make an equally opposing argument. Just like your weak argument on Evans liking Losman. I don't think you can find a single person in this entire organization that doesn't think Fitz can get the job done. Of course Evans liked Losman after achieving a 1000+ receiving year. You guys use stats like they are the only thing that matter or that even have any relevance. This entire team is backing Fitz including Evans but that doesn't seem to hold any water? Oh wait there aren't any notes that you can compare on the subject of having faith in his leadership, so all you can do is blather on about this stat or that stat.

When will you guys start coming up with a more original and intuitive things to talk about? It's always franchise QB this and franchise QB that. You don't even know what a franchise QB is if you think it is all about the stats.

Fitzpatrick is still the Bills' QB. Get used to it!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ridiculous things people are starting to say to try to overemphasis their point is making me want to puke.......seriously Harvey

"there are three guys starting on our offensive line that wouldn't make another NFL roster"

REALLY? Not that I should even ask this question because the statement along makes you look a fool but....which 3?

Bell - I can EASILY think of other nfl left tackles that dont play as well as D. Bell does

Levitre - Surely you must be joking.....extremely solid

Wood - your probably not talking about him...at least I hope your not

Urbik - assuming its Urbik.....a question mark guy because he was picked up off another teams practice squad even though he should some solid run blocking......lets call him one "of the three" for now

Right Tackle - lets say that Pears ends up being the right tackle out the gate....he did in fact start for Denver.....so it kills that argument

As a whole this group has not played great......but your assumption that they wouldn't make another teams NFL roster is just stupid

As far as tight end......tight end has been an issue on this team for years......we have had NO FREE AGENCY this year to be able to address it and they decided to go defense in the draft (and rightfully so) the reason probably being is we have some larger sized wide recievers capable of playing more of an H-back position

x

The ridiculous things people are starting to say to try to overemphasis their point is making me want to puke.......seriously Harvey

"there are three guys starting on our offensive line that wouldn't make another NFL roster"

REALLY? Not that I should even ask this question because the statement along makes you look a fool but....which 3?

Bell - I can EASILY think of other nfl left tackles that dont play as well as D. Bell does

Levitre - Surely you must be joking.....extremely solid

Wood - your probably not talking about him...at least I hope your not

Urbik - assuming its Urbik.....a question mark guy because he was picked up off another teams practice squad even though he should some solid run blocking......lets call him one "of the three" for now

Right Tackle - lets say that Pears ends up being the right tackle out the gate....he did in fact start for Denver.....so it kills that argument

As a whole this group has not played great......but your assumption that they wouldn't make another teams NFL roster is just stupid

As far as tight end......tight end has been an issue on this team for years......we have had NO FREE AGENCY this year to be able to address it and they decided to go defense in the draft (and rightfully so) the reason probably being is we have some larger sized wide recievers capable of playing more of an H-back position

Yea well, that Bills O line makes me want to puke...if you even have to ask who the 3 are that suck ... then I'm not the fool.

Everyone is so freaking fixated on the QB that they are all over looking more pressing issues in the fact that Buffalo hasn't had a solid O line since the Jim Kelly era. That fact alone is probably the biggest reason as to why this team has had no luck with QB's since Jim Kelly. Doesn't it bother anyone else that every three or so years this team chews up another QB and then fans want to bring in another, then they all point their fingers at the QB and say he is the problem

Good GM's and head coaches build the lines up the very first thing, levy tried to do that with free agency as GM and instead he should have done it thru the draft.

Its not stupid to call it like I see it, its my opinion...there are 3 players that will start on that O line that have no business as starters.... 2 of them are cast off scrubs from other teams, that's pathetic .

There will be a free agency at some point this year, but what has that got to do with the fact that this team simply hasn't been able to find one single player worth a damn as a TE for the last 10+ years, this problem just seems to get worse every year. A great TE can help the running game immensely, they also help the offense in first downs and are a huge target in the end zone for scoring. Jeez, all anyone need do is look at the Cowboys, Colts, Chargers, Patriots et al. Its like the position doesn't even exist on this team anymore, its almost the same with the fullback position.

Is it any wonder why this team can't run the ball very effectively and help take pressure off the QB

If I triggered an emotional response because of what I wrote, then good. If it gets people looking at the players on that O line instead of pointing fingers at the QB all the time, even better If it gets others thinking and asking why hasn't this team had a decent TE in ten years, then excellent

x

Yea well, that Bills O line makes me want to puke...if you even have to ask who the 3 are that suck ... then I'm not the fool.

Everyone is so freaking fixated on the QB that they are all over looking more pressing issues in the fact that Buffalo hasn't had a solid O line since the Jim Kelly era. That fact alone is probably the biggest reason as to why this team has had no luck with QB's since Jim Kelly. Doesn't it bother anyone else that every three or so years this team chews up another QB and then fans want to bring in another, then they all point their fingers at the QB and say he is the problem

Good GM's and head coaches build the lines up the very first thing, levy tried to do that with free agency as GM and instead he should have done it thru the draft.

Its not stupid to call it like I see it, its my opinion...there are 3 players that will start on that O line that have no business as starters.... 2 of them are cast off scrubs from other teams, that's pathetic .

There will be a free agency at some point this year, but what has that got to do with the fact that this team simply hasn't been able to find one single player worth a damn as a TE for the last 10+ years, this problem just seems to get worse every year. A great TE can help the running game immensely, they also help the offense in first downs and are a huge target in the end zone for scoring. Jeez, all anyone need do is look at the Cowboys, Colts, Chargers, Patriots et al. Its like the position doesn't even exist on this team anymore, its almost the same with the fullback position.

Is it any wonder why this team can't run the ball very effectively and help take pressure off the QB

If I triggered an emotional response because of what I wrote, then good. If it gets people looking at the players on that O line instead of pointing fingers at the QB all the time, even better If it gets others thinking and asking why hasn't this team had a decent TE in ten years, then excellent

"It all starts,

or stops,

with the offensive line."

Dr. Fishfinder

Harvey, I have to agree with you concerning the TE position. Yes, he can help with the run and also be a good red zone threat. The other thing that the TE or H-back does is help to disguise the play that is called. And we have been without one for a very long time.

The spread offense is great, but damn we could use a few more tools in the shed. Defenses will get wise to our spread option pretty quick if we don't start mixing things up with a TE or, god forbid, 2 TEs.

In the past, Lee Evans expressed faith in JP Losman. I also remember having seen at least one player say that having Trent Edwards on the field gave him a lot of confidence that the Bills could win. Going into last season, Gailey even chose Edwards over Fitz as the starting QB. Just because you hear expressions of support for a QB does not mean he's the long-term answer.

The relevant question is not whether Fitz is or isn't an upgrade over Edwards. (Any more than the relevant question a year ago was whether Edwards was an upgrade over Losman.) The question we should be asking is, "Does Fitz look the way a franchise QB is supposed to look?" In some ways the answer is yes. But Fitz does not have the consistent accuracy you have to have from any long-term answer at QB.

The yards per attempt stat is not "ridiculous," as you put it. I defy you to show me either a) a franchise QB from any era since the merger who's failed to put up a solid yards per attempt stat, or b) a QB with a long career and a very solid yards per attempt stat who was clearly nowhere near being a franchise QB. I strongly doubt you're going to find either one of those players, no matter how hard you look. The yards per attempt stat really is that important. In Fitz's case, his so-so yards per attempt stat indicate a QB who struggles with accuracy, despite the many other things he does well.

Yards per attempt is a ridiculous stat to rate QBs. I'm LMAO reading the posts of you twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to argue how a throwaway stat like YPA is the way that you judge the greats.

Yards Per Attempt

2010 - Brady 5th, Brees 16th, Manning 18th

2009 - Manning 8th, Brady 11th

2008 - Manning 11th, Rothlesberger 17th

TDs

2010 - Brady 1st, Manning 2nd, Brees 3rd,

2009 - Brees 1st, Manning 2nd, Favre 3rd

2008 - Brees 1st, Rivers 2nd, Warner 3rd

Yeah, I've been following the Bills since 1968… but unlike you, I like the people they've entrusted the organization to and think they are putting together a good football team.

In your view exactly what has this GM-HC done so far to elicit such confidence?

I love Nix, Gailey, and Whaley. I love the hiring of Wannstedt. I love the revamping of the personnel department with the release of Modrak and the hiring of Tom Gibbons, Chuck Cook, and Darrell Moody.

I love the fact that during the season, the Bills were bringing multiple players in for tryouts every week and that they signed such promising players as Kraig Urbrik, Chad Rinehart, Mansfield Wrotto, Scott Chandler, Eric Pears, and that they did an excellent job of signing undrafted free agents such as David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt, Antonio Coleman, Kellen Heard and others.

I think that the 2010 draftees will make significant contributions as Spiller, Troup, Moats and Carrington continue to develop and as Easley and Batten get healthy.

I feel like the 2011 draft is the best one in memory.

This team feels to me like the 1987 Bills, the 1995-96 Sabres, and the 2003-2004 Sabres… an up and coming team with good young talent and excellent coaching.

This team went 4-4 in the 2nd half of last season and I feel like Nix, Gailey and company are the right men to restore excellence to the Buffalo Bills.

I love Nix, Gailey, and Whaley. I love the hiring of Wannstedt. I love the revamping of the personnel department with the release of Modrak and the hiring of Tom Gibbons, Chuck Cook, and Darrell Moody.

I love the fact that during the season, the Bills were bringing multiple players in for tryouts every week and that they signed such promising players as Kraig Urbrik, Chad Rinehart, Mansfield Wrotto, Scott Chandler, Eric Pears, and that they did an excellent job of signing undrafted free agents such as David Nelson, Donald Jones, Naaman Roosevelt, Antonio Coleman, Kellen Heard and others.

I think that the 2010 draftees will make significant contributions as Spiller, Troup, Moats and Carrington continue to develop and as Easley and Batten get healthy.

This team feels to me like the 1987 Bills, the 1995-96 Sabres, and the 2003-2004 Sabres… an up and coming team with good young talent and excellent coaching.

This team went 4-4 in the 2nd half of last season and I feel like Nix, Gailey and company are the right men to restore excellence to the Buffalo Bills.

It's nice to read a positive post like this (you heretic). I kid! wink.gif

I think the team is heading in the right direction, too. But nothing is going to quiet the townsfolk with pitchforks and torches except winning games.

Yards per attempt is a ridiculous stat to rate QBs. I'm LMAO reading the posts of you twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to argue how a throwaway stat like YPA is the way that you judge the greats.

Yards Per Attempt

2010 - Brady 5th, Brees 16th, Manning 18th

2009 - Manning 8th, Brady 11th

2008 - Manning 11th, Rothlesberger 17th

TDs

2010 - Brady 1st, Manning 2nd, Brees 3rd,

2009 - Brees 1st, Manning 2nd, Favre 3rd

2008 - Brees 1st, Rivers 2nd, Warner 3rd

Peyton Manning averaged 6.9 yards per attempt in 2010, well below his career average of 7.6. You'll recall that any QB with an average of 7.4 or better is (according to my rule of thumb) automatically considered a franchise QB, regardless of other considerations. Manning's drop-off in YPA was due largely to problems at WR, but may also mean that he's getting older. In 2009 he averaged a very impressive 7.9 yards per attempt, and in 2008 it was 7.2.

Tom Brady's career average is 7.4 yards per attempt, correctly indicating he's a franchise QB. These past two seasons he's averaged 7.8 and 7.9 yards per attempt, indicating his play has become even more effective than usual.

Ben Roethlisberger's career average is a jaw-dropping 8.0 yards per attempt, which puts him in definite franchise QB territory. You mentioned his 2008 season. Then, he averaged "only" 7.0 yards per attempt, which (from a YPA standpoint) was by far his statistically worst season. His next-worst was in 2006 (out of seven seasons total), when he averaged 7.5 yards per attempt.

Drew Brees has averaged 7.3 yards per attempt over the course of his career, which statistically puts him in franchise QB territory. His average would be higher if he'd done better his first few years. It's worth noting that after spending nearly all his rookie year on the bench, he averaged just 6.2 yards per attempt his second year, and 5.9 yards per attempt his third year. Those numbers help explain why his overall career average is not higher, and why the Chargers decided to replace him with Rivers. Then in 2004 he averaged a very impressive 7.9 yards per attempt, followed by 7.2 yards per attempt in 2005. Those numbers are why he was able to keep Rivers on the bench during Brees' time in San Diego.

Kurt Warner averaged 7.9 yards per attempt over the course of his career, correctly indicating he was one of the best QBs ever to play the game. You mentioned that Brett Favre had the third-highest TD percentage in 2009. You neglected to mention that he also averaged 7.9 yards per pass attempt that year, which was a very impressive feat!

In my earlier post, I asked anyone who wished to dispute the validity of YPA as a stat to demonstrate either a) a franchise QB with a low YPA career average, or b) a mediocre QB with a very high YPA career average. You have done neither. Instead, you've cherry picked individual seasons from a few franchise QBs, while ignoring the fact that even a franchise QB will sometimes perform below his usual standards, and will have an off year. Brett Favre with the Jets, Kurt Warner during his last years in St. Louis, etc. When a franchise QB has an off year, his YPA will be unimpressive for that year. Favre's YPA with the Jets was only 6.7, for example.

Excellent coaching...YGBK right? looking at the mistakes made last season I completely, whole heartedly disagree with that! Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy are excellent coaches, Buffalo hasn't had an excellent coach since Ted Marchibroda.

Considering everything that occurred on this team last year I still remain very skeptical that this staff will ever build a team that can compete with the Patriots and Jets for the division. I still think Gailey is stretching himself to thin trying to do way to many things on that offense and its taking away from him seeing the bigger picture

This team feels more like the 84 Bills to me with Kay Stephenson as HC and journeyman Joe Ferguson at QB, lets not forget that Stephenson did manage to draft Jim Kelly, Darryl Talley and Bruce Smith.

IMHO What really propelled the Bills into a top offense was the hiring of OC Ted Marchibroda ex -HC of the Colts, because he was the one who taught Jim Kelly to call his own plays. Saw that Kelly was best in the 2 min drill so he setup the no huddle to run all game long, brought in the old Redskin counter trey running game. Great assistants can make the HC's job so much easier, lets hope Wannstache has that same effect on the defense that Ole ted had on the offense.

I know I have been harping on all the mistakes by the team last year only because I've never seen a new staff make that many stupid mistakes their first year, and then go on and build a competitive team. Clearly what has hurt Gailey badly his first year were the choices of inexperienced assistant coaches.

I honestly hope I'm wrong with everything I've been bitching about. I hope that O line comes together and plays solidly this year. I hope Scott Chandler turns into another Pete Metzelaars. I hope CJ Spiller turns into another Jamaal Charles- Chris Johnson. I can only hope HC Chan Gailey firmly planted his foot up someones backside for the Spiller and Green debacle so that never happens again. I gotta believe that Modrak was fired and replaced because of Green, among other things. So things do seem to be moving in the right direction now. I would love to see this team beat the Patriots at least once this year, and even 8-8 would be a huge success in my view.

I honestly hope I'm wrong and your right SJBF

Edited by Harvey lives

I honestly hope I'm wrong and your right SJBF

Me too!

I tend towards rose-colored glasses a bit… but I've been around a long time and am not an unconditional optimist.

I do see several things that are very encouraging as the organization moves away from the mismanagement of the Levy/Modrak/Jauron era.

I'm sorry, but your stat argument is weak. Stats can be used to make an equally opposing argument. Just like your weak argument on Evans liking Losman. I don't think you can find a single person in this entire organization that doesn't think Fitz can get the job done. Of course Evans liked Losman after achieving a 1000+ receiving year. You guys use stats like they are the only thing that matter or that even have any relevance. This entire team is backing Fitz including Evans but that doesn't seem to hold any water? Oh wait there aren't any notes that you can compare on the subject of having faith in his leadership, so all you can do is blather on about this stat or that stat.

When will you guys start coming up with a more original and intuitive things to talk about? It's always franchise QB this and franchise QB that. You don't even know what a franchise QB is if you think it is all about the stats.

Fitzpatrick is still the Bills' QB. Get used to it!

Liking all the feel-good stuff is fine and dandy. But tell me one thing. As you stated Fitz is the QB for this season at the very least. Who in the organization be it player, coach, front office suit, or waterboy is going to say anything bad about the person they already KNOW is the QB in the upcoming season? What would be the upside to saying Fitz is inaccurate, or chokes or anything else negative about him? I'll answer for you, there is no upside so no one in their right mind would do it. So if it is a no win situation to say bad things about Fitz, what is the point of your statements like "I don't think you can find a single person in this entire organization that doesn't think Fitz can get the job done." ? Of course they are going to say they think Fitz can get the job done, whether they believe it or not.

Me too!

I tend towards rose-colored glasses a bit… but I've been around a long time and am not an unconditional optimist.

I do see several things that are very encouraging as the organization moves away from the mismanagement of the Levy/Modrak/Jauron era.

At least now the team has an actual GM that does know talent, although I'm still not thrilled he had Cam Newton at the top of the Bills draft board.

You almost really lost me with that "excellent coaching'' ...stuff. Perhaps Gailey really see's something in George Edwards to keep him on as DC, time will tell. If Gailey eventually fails it will be because just like Jauron he chose to not hire experienced veteran coaches, that may or may not be in his control considering this owner

The addition of Marcel Darius was huge, firing Modrak was huge, hiring Wannstache might be a great move, again time will tell. So yea, there are some very encouraging signs this team is slowly climbing out of AFC East basement.

But you know me, I won't be happy until I see that O line built up properly and a top TE acquired. It still bothers me that both this GM and HC didn't even try and build that line up first thing. I just don't see this team controlling the LoS on offense when the game is on the line.

I know everybody likes Fitz (including myself), but it just shows where the Bills have come from...Our QB's have been so bad, for so long...that if someone comes in and even plays mediocre football we will love him.

Fitz certainly has played better than any QB the Bills have had in a while, going back to Drew. I don't know if he has what it takes to be a lasting starter in the NFL, but at the very least he has been fun to watch...The guy is smart, physical and plays hard (can't say that about Trent or JP). The great thing about a guy like Fitz is that there is no sense of entitlement either, he had to work his way into playing time.

The Bills need to keep looking for a "franchise" type player, but until we find him we could definitely do worse than Fitz.

At least now the team has an actual GM that does know talent, although I'm still not thrilled he had Cam Newton at the top of the Bills draft board.

You almost really lost me with that "excellent coaching'' ...stuff. Perhaps Gailey really see's something in George Edwards to keep him on as DC, time will tell. If Gailey eventually fails it will be because just like Jauron he chose to not hire experienced veteran coaches, that may or may not be in his control considering this owner

The addition of Marcel Darius was huge, firing Modrak was huge, hiring Wannstache might be a great move, again time will tell. So yea, there are some very encouraging signs this team is slowly climbing out of AFC East basement.

But you know me, I won't be happy until I see that O line built up properly and a top TE acquired. It still bothers me that both this GM and HC didn't even try and build that line up first thing. I just don't see this team controlling the LoS on offense when the game is on the line.

Well said. Edwards is awful, and I am guessing he is being kept on for financial reasons, and lack of a better (affordable) option. Gailey probably doesn't even have much of a say in the matter...

Nix has really impressed me so far. Modrak is finally gone! He didn't waste any time figuring out that Edwards has no clue at DC, and brought in "Wannstache". And this past draft looks pretty good (on paper at least), with no "head scratchers".

Of course while the signs look good, my pessimism built by years of being a Bills fan will keep me from getting excited until they show improvement on the actual field...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Liking all the feel-good stuff is fine and dandy. But tell me one thing. As you stated Fitz is the QB for this season at the very least. Who in the organization be it player, coach, front office suit, or waterboy is going to say anything bad about the person they already KNOW is the QB in the upcoming season? What would be the upside to saying Fitz is inaccurate, or chokes or anything else negative about him? I'll answer for you, there is no upside so no one in their right mind would do it. So if it is a no win situation to say bad things about Fitz, what is the point of your statements like "I don't think you can find a single person in this entire organization that doesn't think Fitz can get the job done." ? Of course they are going to say they think Fitz can get the job done, whether they believe it or not.

If it was just a matter of not wanting to say something bad about the starting QB like the way it was with say Edwards,I'd agree, but that is not what is happening here. There are articles all over the place from several players and from the coach. The offensive linemen, receivers and running backs have had a lot of positive things to say. This is not just supporting the QB because he is their QB, this is supporting the QB because they actually believe in him. Read up on some of this stuff. I know a lot of people are stuck on their sometimes impressive knowledge of statistics but the buck doesn't stop there. They do not tell the whole story. Fitz has brought this group closer together and it's easy enough to see if you're willing to look. I stand by my positive outlook, not because I just blindly think Fitz is going to prove to be a world class caliber QB. I am just seeing evidence that good things are happening. There is a sense of commitment that wasn't there before.

Watching Fitz play the game you can tell he is no Rogers, but there are certainly enough signs to keep a positive outlook. What I saw from Fitzpatrick was a QB that was as good as half the starters in this league, which is pretty impressive considering he didn't begin as the starter. In fact, he never has been the starter at the beginning of the season at any point in his NFL career. He earned the chance last year and it will be interesting to see what he does this year. I'd like to see him with a couple of good TEs, so I don't think the whole picture is rosey, but I do like Fitz as the starter.

Hilarious stuff from some people here. Fitz is on his 3rd crappy team for a reason, and lost the pre season starting QB battle to the likes of Trent Edwards for a reason, was traded from the Rams to the Bengals so they could keep Jamie Martin as primary backup for a reason, was not resigned by the Bengals who kept Jordan Palmer and signed some other crap QB instead of him. Fitz has proved he has sucked for 3 teams and the love some people have for him is borderline serial killer. Fitz is no better than JP Losman. The love for him is unreal for a guy who has proved already on 3 teams he is not capable of leading a team to wins.

I really don't think they'll use the bigger WR's in that capacity...I could be wrong though...

I know it seems a bit ridiculous at this point, but I think they REALLY like Scott Chandler...And I think they're OK with the Kids (Chandler, Stupar, and Nelson) going forward...At least for 2011...But if Nelson or Chandler don't emerge they're going to have to do something about TE either in Free Agency or the Draft sooner or later...

I think TE's like QB...They're putting it off for a year and hoping they get lucky... B-)