Chris Kelsay anyone?

Interesting thread...I know Nix has says that we have 6 defensive lineman he feels comfortable with (1. Troup, 2. Carrington, 3. KW, 4. Dareus, 5. Dwan, 6. Spencer J)...so that tells me he doesnt see Kelsay as a key rotational lineman. So where is he gunna play, OLB? I just really hope Nix and co realized kelsay cannot play OLB. IMHO he looked awful back there last year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelsay isn't going to start simply because of the extension. If that were the case then Chan should be fired right now. If I had to bet right now, I'd say our starting OLBs are Merriman and Moats.

Besides, Kelsay isn't even making that much money. Below is his salary for the new contract he signed. He's due an $11million bonus which brings it up to $24 million. I'm not sure if he's been paid the bonus yet but I imagine if he hasn't, he may get cut well before he's owed the bonus.

2011: 2,000,000

2012: 3,500,000

2013: 3,725,000

2014: 3,745,000

I will say a major point is it's 11 in bonuses, not a bonus of 11m. Big difference.

Also to those saying he's only 8 months in- a lot has changed in that time. Adding premiere players in merriman and dareus does shake things up some. Not saying he will be cut but it's a new lense he must be viewed through.

Whenever anyone tries to claim Kelsay is "good against the run" it's pretty obvious that this person does not really understand what they see on the football field. Kelsay is horrible against the run. He is a decent pass rusher. Not special, but getting pressure is the only thing he does at a NFL level.

Bam, i watched every single snap last yesr and kelsay was hands down our worst defender.

I dont care if he was at a new position or not, even though he sucked in coverage and sucked at contain and blitzing, he just flat out stunk agaimst the run. I font think he would start on any other team.

I think people assume that because he gets very few sacks that his talent must be stopping the run. Far from it. He does not play stout as a DE. In the one gap 4-3 he wasn't a playmaker in the run game.....in the 3-4 he gets wrecked. He can't get off blocks and certainly can't set the edge as an OLB. He just got KILLED against the run last year, as did Moats. The Bills defense can't set the edge and Kelsay is a culprit, not an exception.

When multimillion dollar turnstiles like Chris Kelsay are stricken from the Bills roster, I'll sleep much better at night knowing that "rebuilding" is actually going on, and not just a word used as lip service for us fans.

Kelsey was drafted to be a 4-3 end not a OLB.

I thought he had a good 2009, a solid year not a great one.

In his defense the guy had to learn a new position and it had to be tough.

This will sort itself out on the field, and like some people have said they have to get somebody better than he is.

right now we don't have that guy yet.

On the other hand, who'd be surprised if Dareus was in fact better already, and he hasn't been to a single practice yet.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. However, counting on the unknown is a dangerous proposition. Kelsay deserves a lot of the crap he gets, and some that he doesn't deserve. The Pittsburgh game is an example of how effective he can be when placed in a situation to get pressure on the QB, not defend TEs and RBs out of the backfield.

i remember an article not long ago where buddy mentioned the importance of " locker-room-guys"

my best guess is that kelsay is just that.

and thats where he earns his money.

i guess.........

This is just another reason why the Bills don't win. You think tha Patriots are handing out multi-year multi MIllion $ contracts for guys like Kelsay?

No way.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least. However, counting on the unknown is a dangerous proposition. Kelsay deserves a lot of the crap he gets, and some that he doesn't deserve. The Pittsburgh game is an example of how effective he can be when placed in a situation to get pressure on the QB, not defend TEs and RBs out of the backfield.

Playing him in space is nearly as bad as I'd imagine it would be to have Donte Whitner line up on the nose as a space eater.

but dont let the facts slow down your unbridled hatred

Don't you think that might be a bit over the top? I don't think anyone wants to burn down Kelsay's house or assault his wife and kids. We're just debating his value to the team. I tend to agree with the masses. Whether he makes $2M or $4M a year, based on his performance, he ain't worth it. His strength isn't his pass rushing ability (or lack thereof) or in pass coverage. His strength is supposedly run support. Well the last two seasons the Bills are just about as bad as it gets against the run. I guess one might say run support is his forte... but, I say yes, moreso run support for the opposition. He plays, they run wild.