Nearly 40% of NFL players used a 1 Star concussion rated helmet in 201

NFL for the past few seasons has been working really hard to lessen concussions on the field and better protect it's players from head trauma by changing rules left and right. However, I was listening to Sirius NFL radio the other day and this little tidbit of information came across. NFL helmet usage

Really? This is something that could have been and can be a quick and easy fix without making any rule or play style alterations.

Note: I understand this study was done after the season, but helmet safety has been a league issue for a while now. Perhaps they should be testing these helmets before they allow them on the field and enact some equipment rules to protect the players?

Also, Riddell no longer produces this helmet, but I wonder how many high schools and colleges have purchased this "NFL-Level" product?

Edited by WVUFootball29

All the helmets studied were found to protect from skull fracture, which is good, but the next step would be to protect from concussions.

So they got that going for them, which is nice. :doh:

Also, Riddell no longer produces this helmet, but I wonder how many high schools and colleges have purchased this "NFL-Level" product?

And how many use an even more inferior helmet due to cost? IMO, youth football as we know it will be very different (if played at all) in another 20 years.

NFL for the past few seasons has been working really hard to lessen concussions on the field and better protect it's players from head trauma by changing rules left and right. However, I was listening to Sirius NFL radio the other day and this little tidbit of information came across. NFL helmet usage

Really? This is something that could have been and can be a quick and easy fix without making any rule or play style alterations.

Note: I understand this study was done after the season, but helmet safety has been a league issue for a while now. Perhaps they should be testing these helmets before they allow them on the field and enact some equipment rules to protect the players?

Really is cut and dry why the NFL does not prescribe a certain helmet..guess what it is now..thats right risk and money. NFL knows the reality of what these hits are doing to the players..last thing the want is a lawsuit filed against them with some player saying"NFL made me wear Y helmet, studies now show that X helmet would have been better, and I still have post concussion syndrome and I need to be compensated for the NFL's mistake".

The risk in this litigious society is greater than the desire to protect players..and not saying i can blame them.

I'm not suggesting a single type of helmet because that is the equivalent of putting all your eggs in one basket. What I'm saying is, if these helmets test poorly compared to other available options, it should not be in the league. I believe there were 4 different types of helmet shells used by NFL players in 2010, cutting the lowest one would still leave 3 other options.

I'm not suggesting a single type of helmet because that is the equivalent of putting all your eggs in one basket. What I'm saying is, if these helmets test poorly compared to other available options, it should not be in the league. I believe there were 4 different types of helmet shells used by NFL players in 2010, cutting the lowest one would still leave 3 other options.

ask the players why...

Well, you can blame the NFL all it wants but if the NFLPA really gives a sht it would simply stipulate that this type of situation would be addressed. If the players cared they could push on the NFL to make changes. Push on the NFL to make changes, or god forbid invest their own money to protect themselves if it is so serious.

How many of us work in dangerous enviroments for a profession? Should I go on my farm without a shirt and not wear sunscreen? Or what about at the "real job" and working with a crane lifting heavy material; would it not be a good idea to get myself a hardhat if I am concerned with something falling on me?

Spare me the finger pointing at the NFL, if the players are that concerned they have to step up to the plate. This is not an expensive change, not in any way. Hell, teams could make money on it selling players helmets in little pieces to ticket holders, etc.

Well, you can blame the NFL all it wants but if the NFLPA really gives a sht it would simply stipulate that this type of situation would be addressed. If the players cared they could push on the NFL to make changes. Push on the NFL to make changes, or god forbid invest their own money to protect themselves if it is so serious.

How many of us work in dangerous enviroments for a profession? Should I go on my farm without a shirt and not wear sunscreen? Or what about at the "real job" and working with a crane lifting heavy material; would it not be a good idea to get myself a hardhat if I am concerned with something falling on me?

Spare me the finger pointing at the NFL, if the players are that concerned they have to step up to the plate. This is not an expensive change, not in any way. Hell, teams could make money on it selling players helmets in little pieces to ticket holders, etc.

I agree whole heartedly. I've said this numerous times in the past:

I think it's ridiculous that the NFL has taken the lead on player safety while the (defensive) players complain about rule changes which will ultimately make their occupations safer and their post-football lives better.

The union is shirking their responsibility instead of taking the lead on player safety. They'd rather the NFL implement changes that they can complain about and use as bargaining chips.

Although the league is pushing for player safety policies to protect themselves against lawsuits from ex-players, they are at least taking the lead on player safety… even if their reasons are purely legal (to shed liability).

Fault lies with both the league and the NFLPA on this point.

An interesting follow-up to this study would be to find out how many players who suffered concussions in 2010 were using that low graded Ridell helmet. From the article linked above, it seems the different helmets can be discerned visually, so apparently it would be easy to find out just by watching game tape.

Say 25 players suffered concussions last season, and 22 of those were found to be wearing that low graded helmet. I don't know if that's the case, but if so, the elimination of that helmet should be a no brainer. (Apparently, with Ridell already discontinuing that model, the issue is moot, but it would still be interesting to see how many injured players were using that helmet over the past couple years.)

To me at least, it's ridiculous that the NFL/NFLPA aren't just mandating the use of the 5 star helmet going forward. I don't care how the friggin thing looks. Neither should the players, if they care at all about their lives after football.

So they got that going for them, which is nice. :doh:

And how many use an even more inferior helmet due to cost? IMO, youth football as we know it will be very different (if played at all) in another 20 years.

Youth Football is not where concussions start. When kids are younger (Ages 8-12) they don't run fast enough to generate enough force to make collisions that cause concussions. Its not until kids reach junior high school that concussions occur and even than at that age (7th to 8th grade) its very rare they occur.

High School Football is the ground zero for the concussion problem. A lot of concussions go undiagnosed in high school and things like helmet safety aren't always taken care of due to cost considerations.

Youth Football is not where concussions start. When kids are younger (Ages 8-12) they don't run fast enough to generate enough force to make collisions that cause concussions. Its not until kids reach junior high school that concussions occur and even than at that age (7th to 8th grade) its very rare they occur.

High School Football is the ground zero for the concussion problem. A lot of concussions go undiagnosed in high school and things like helmet safety aren't always taken care of due to cost considerations.

As someone that got concussed twice (second one was not football related FWIW) in 8th grade, I'll say that concussions are more prevalent in the middle grades than commonly believed. I suffered from post-concussion symptoms for over 2 months from the football hit. As a track coach at the modified level, there are a few kids that are running as fast or faster than their senior counterparts. Compound that with the fact that the modified programs get the remnants of the equipment, it sets a melting pot for injures

Overall, I do agree with the gist of your post, but make no mistake that it isn't exclusive to high school +

As someone that got concussed twice (second one was not football related FWIW) in 8th grade, I'll say that concussions are more prevalent in the middle grades than commonly believed. I suffered from post-concussion symptoms for over 2 months from the football hit. As a track coach at the modified level, there are a few kids that are running as fast or faster than their senior counterparts. Compound that with the fact that the modified programs get the remnants of the equipment, it sets a melting pot for injures

Overall, I do agree with the gist of your post, but make no mistake that it isn't exclusive to high school +

I had at least 4 confirmed concussions. One was amazing. They really do mess you up a little bit. It wasn't just a week or two, it was about 3 months on the big one. They were all in HS. The big hit was on this guy, Drushawn Humphries. It was on kickoff, he did not have the ball, and was the up front guy. He @ 4.4 speed ran in to me at 4.6 speed, both of us over 200lbs. I fell, he fell, last thing I remember was his number right in front of my face and then seeing him on his back next to me. Both of us got up after a second, dazed, looked at each other unsure of what happened and then I do not remember anything else of the game. It was aweful, too. The kid was amazing on the field and would have been a great back at the Ohio State University...

Either way, concussions do not happen on every play and to every player. Zulu above mentions that a study to see which guys got concussions ended up wearing the lower level helments. I am going to bet that no matter what level helmet lineman on either side wear there would still be shocking blows to the head but not at the impact that an RB faces. Instead, shocking blows over and over. There are concussions like I got, big slams...and there are headaches and slamming of the head on the line; also like I got. Now, if you take 300lbs pro's then you should probably figure it's a lot more powerful on all of the hits. Concussions need to be phased out by penalties and by safety measures.

boyst, I don't think rule changes is the way to go as much as the equipment improvement. The hits that James Harrison put on last year weren't with malice, but part of the game. It is bad enouhg that you can't sneeze on a QB anymore without a flag. We as fans deserve to watch these very well compensated athletes beat each other like prize fighters do, with violent hits. It should be the owners' burden to equip its investments with the best equipment to minimize catastrophic injuries (BTW, kudos to Ralph for his investment on cold therapy research).