Buddy Nix Vs. AJ Smith

As much of a disappointment as I feel Spiller was last season, he did have over 1600 all-purpose yards, the 4th most for a rookie in Bills history.

Huh, he had 440 total yards; 283 rushing and 157 receiving. Fred had 1142 overall, 4.2 average rushing where as CJ had 3.8 rushing. Total for Fred and CJ adds to 1582, add Lynch and we'll prolly a little over 1600.

Edited by bladiebla

Huh, he had 440 total yards; 283 rushing and 157 receiving.

It's truly amazing that people don't understand the difference between all purpose yds and yds from scrimmage, like I pointed out in the other thread. :wallbash:

All purpose yds means all purpose yds. rushing, receiving, kick returns and punt returns. Hence the term. ALL PURPOSE.

It's truly amazing that people don't understand the difference between all purpose yds and yds from scrimmage, like I pointed out in the other thread. :wallbash:

All purpose yds means all purpose yds. rushing, receiving, kick returns and punt returns. Hence the term. ALL PURPOSE.

Ok... But that is a terrible stat to use as it does not say anything about his quality as a RB or even total value to the team especially since it's in direct correlation with the number of attempts. Looking at his average of 23.0 he ranks 22nd out of 39 players who returned a kick last year classifying him as a below average kick returner. Given the fact that 1143 of his all purpose yards came from kick returns, I'd say that the stat is pretty meaningless and I'd stop throwing it around. He's been below average in receiving, running, kick returning. His punt return average of 14.6 is promising but also misleading because it's very dependent on field position, his 12 attemtps didnt qualify him for ranking though (20 att minimum, had he had 20 with 14.6 he would have ranked 8th). So even though he ranks 4th historically on all purpose yards for Bills rookies it's not saying anything other then that he was given a lot of opportunity, more so then other rookies historically. Also keep in mind that he fumbled 5 (!!!) times of which he lost 3, one oob and recovered only 1. No CJ did not have a good year, cant twist history to make it so that he did.

Also if you look back at what Chris Johnson did in his rookie year (4.9 average) I'd almost say it's time to get worried, hopefully he'll show decent improvement this year.

So it is a good thing that the Bills were so easy to score against, otherwise Spiller couldn't rack up those returning yards?

So it is a good thing that the Bills were so easy to score against, otherwise Spiller couldn't rack up those returning yards?

Actually it was yungmack who made it sound like the al;l purpose yards were a positive, DreReed83 merely corrected me using/mixing up yards from scrimmage versus the all purpose yards.

Edit: bottomline CJ has a lot to proof this year.

Edited by bladiebla

Mathews was by far the more superior RB. Not even a contest. I don't even wanna hear that San Diego had a far superior offensive line, because they weren't all that much better in the run department.

Im sorry....who was Mathews competing with for carries? Fred Jackson was the entrenched starter.

Actually I was going by rushing yards, number of carries, yards per carry, longest play from scrimmage, TDs, and games started. I don't see how that crumbles.

Sure it does

- One didn't have an entrenched starter in front of him so he didn't have to compete for carries.....Sproles is not a every down player so he isn't going to carry the bulk load

- There fore its a bad comparison until CJ actually gets that same load of carries to make a comparison....lets keep in mind that CJ isnt a grind it out player....he is a break away threat.....that means if he is only getting 5 carries a game it skews what he might actually be able to do.....if CJ got got those same carries his chance of breaking a long game changing play goes up. Just like the lottery....you cant win if you dont play.

Actually it was yungmack who made it sound like the al;l purpose yards were a positive, DreReed83 merely corrected me using/mixing up yards from scrimmage versus the all purpose yards.

Edit: bottomline CJ has a lot to proof this year.

I hope he improof's this year.

Im sorry....who was Mathews competing with for carries? Fred Jackson was the entrenched starter.

Sure it does

- One didn't have an entrenched starter in front of him so he didn't have to compete for carries.....Sproles is not a every down player so he isn't going to carry the bulk load

- There fore its a bad comparison until CJ actually gets that same load of carries to make a comparison....lets keep in mind that CJ isnt a grind it out player....he is a break away threat.....that means if he is only getting 5 carries a game it skews what he might actually be able to do.....if CJ got got those same carries his chance of breaking a long game changing play goes up. Just like the lottery....you cant win if you dont play.

entrenched starter my backside, Spiller was named the STARTER for the opener and failed in so many ways, basically he didn't know the playbook. That is why Fred Jackson with an injured hand was sent in, that is why Lynch was sent in and that is why Spiller wasn't used as a RB very much all year.

Lets hope he learns how to do his job this off season

We need to stop being so defensive about Spiller.

It's possible for Buddy to have flubbed the Spiller pick AND still be a good GM. It was his first pick ever as GM. You don't think Mozart had some performance anxiety the first time he performed a symphony?

Not that Nix is the Mozart of drafting or that Spiller can't turn it around, but you get my point. If Spiller is a bust, and I'd say it's a strong possibility at this point, accept it and move on. Stuff happens.

I think we should chalk up all the southern picks to Nix. Clearly, that's his favorite area to scout, and as Pro Personnel Director he lived in Tennessee. ;)

Nix lives in in Tenn

Tom Modrak lives further south in Florida - maybe he pushed for all of the Southern guys