A New Team in 2011

You see, statements this is where I think logic goes completely out the window.

The Bills were 4-12 last year and by all rational accounts a train wreck. A defense that didn't know what it wanted to be when it grew up, 4-3 or 3-4 (had the personnel, arguably, for a 4-3 but wanted to play 3-4). A over achieving offense with no #1 WR, basically 1 RB for the bulk of the season (difficult to count Spiller as a RB he played so little and was so ineffective when he did) and so on.

So now this year the defensive line almost certainly got better. Linebackers stay the same. Defensive backs most likely stay the same. And my assumption is they will try a 3-4 again without the personnel for it (with a few exceptions).

The offense is for all intents and purposes unchanged.

How in the world does this equate to "anything less then 9 & 7 is a disappointment" to even the most fervent kool-aid drinker?

I have heard all the "but with a break here and a call going our way there we win 3 more games last season" stuff. But that is all bull ****. That team had the record they deserved last year. And without some kind of divine intervention will again this year. You may "Billieve", but come on. At some point logic has to kick in right? Remember last year at this time when people were saying the same things ("this team HAS to be better with Gailey and Spiller, they CAN'T end up with a worse record than 7-9")? What makes this year so different?

Personally with this team and their schedule, I would consider 8-8 a HUGE accomplishment.

Logic doesn't win games. Passion does though. Nothing wrong with believing 9-7 or even 11-5 is possible. As far as I am concerned, if you do not have high expectations, you are a loser. Losers never set the bar any higher than a "logical" sure thing. Losers except the status quo. Losers lurk behind every corner and try to steal someone elses thunder. Winners on the other hand don't give a good god damn what others think because they can make their own thunder. So stick that in your logic pipe and smoke it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logic doesn't win games. Passion does though. Nothing wrong with believing 9-7 or even 11-5 is possible. As far as I am concerned, if you do not have high expectations, you are a loser. Losers never set the bar any higher than a "logical" sure thing. Losers except the status quo. Losers lurk behind every corner and try to steal someone elses thunder. Winners on the other hand don't give a good god damn what others think because they can make their own thunder. So stick that in your logic pipe and smoke it.

Maybe true if you're a player, I hope the players are thinking the way you do. But we're fans, with limited or no impact on the actual outcome of the games.

The goal set is an NFL Championship, the top of the stairs. You have to take it one step at a time.

There is truth to this, but the first part is where you set the bar(NFL Championship). If you are to scared to set the bar there, how are you ever going to reach the goal? Bashing someone for having high expectations is wrong. Logic does have it's place, in math or science. But there is something that is of greater importance than logic. It's called wisdom. Wisdom allows you to reach higher where logic tells you that you can only reach as high as is mathematically/scientifically plausible.

Maybe true if you're a player, I hope the players are thinking the way you do. But we're fans, with limited or no impact on the actual outcome of the games.

Yea, you are right and I can relate somewhat(a decade of mediocrity). I am just getting a bit peeved with the over all acceptance of mediocrity that seems to drive discussions on this board. Not saying there is no fight in anyone around here, but where is the knock down drag out, never give up, fierce passion that pushes the game to the next level? Now that is a fan. I know it's just a game, so spare me the redundancy of having to hear that argument again. These players are getting paid millions. We should expect more. They are living a dream that is supported by us the fan. We deserve it and the players should know that we feel this way about it. Passion baby. Feed the fire and it will spread. If the players feel the passion they can do great things.

Too funny. I like this poster's passion. But 8-8? C'mon. We can do better than that. We've been an 8-8 team, or there about, for 10 years.

I won't be happy until we make the playoffs. That won't happen at 8-8.

I think this team will be good next season. We've upgraded every level of defense and added an O lineman. My only concern now is a backup QB and a TE. It seems every good team relies heavily on TEs and we don't seem to even have one who'd be considered a starter.

The Bills biggest problem last year was the defense not being able to stop anything. Otherwise they had a solid year and their record would have been better. If this season does happen I can see 10-6 if the new additions have an instant impact.

Woah tap your brakes a lil and take the straw out of the kool aid for a while. If we indeed fixed our gaping run defense and we're like 5-3 by mid season and our run defense somewhere in the teens in ranking then you can put your straw back in the jug.

Hmmm. So would you classify BellyCheat and his Pats as being driven more by logic or by passion?

Regarding records like 9-7 or 11-5 being possible, of course they are. So is 16-0. But going in with unrealistic expectations like some did last year does not make sense to me. Jumping up and down yelling and screaming and being as passionate as humanly possible doesn't change the overall skill level of a team. At least not to any meaningful consistent degree. Just my opinion. What you smoke might be different.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Good discussion. I love it how many of you state how the Bills' new rookie class and second year kids should help improve our win/loss record, but totally forget that 31 other teams in the league are in the same boat. The only way this team can improve is to hit on our draft picks at a higher rate than all our competitors and that remains to be seen.

8 & 8 will be a major improvement and almost everyone should be content with that record by the end of the year. If that happens, our Bills can finally feel confident enough to add a couple of pieces, via free agency, to help propel us to the playoffs. Until then, I'd hold off on acquiring premier free agents.

Building through the draft is key to the success of the Bills and they should spare no expense on a top notch scouting department, instead of free agents. So far the Bills are doing just that, having fired Modrak and issuing a statement that they will continue to evaluate their scouting department. The Bills are doing all the right things, right now, and I hope this trend continues, Then and only then can we build a team that can succeed in the long-term.

Yea, you are right and I can relate somewhat(a decade of mediocrity). I am just getting a bit peeved with the over all acceptance of mediocrity that seems to drive discussions on this board. Not saying there is no fight in anyone around here, but where is the knock down drag out, never give up, fierce passion that pushes the game to the next level? Now that is a fan. I know it's just a game, so spare me the redundancy of having to hear that argument again. These players are getting paid millions. We should expect more. They are living a dream that is supported by us the fan. We deserve it and the players should know that we feel this way about it. Passion baby. Feed the fire and it will spread. If the players feel the passion they can do great things.

Good sentiments and discussion.

I try to save my fire and passion for my own affairs. I often think that a lot of fans would be better served taking the zeal and energy that they feel for their sports teams and applying it to their own lives.

When I was much younger I lived vicariously through my teams. I would actually use sporting events as a reason to skip more significant events in my life…and I think there are others here who've had the same experience.

It actually took me awhile to get past that…take the criticisms I aimed at sports teams/athletes, and apply them to my own life. Odd but true.

Hmmm. So would you classify BellyCheat and his Pats as being driven more by logic or by passion?

Regarding records like 9-7 or 11-5 being possible, of course they are. So is 16-0. But going in with unrealistic expectations like some did last year does not make sense to me. Jumping up and down yelling and screaming and being as passionate as humanly possible doesn't change the overall skill level of a team. At least not to any meaningful consistent degree. Just my opinion. What you smoke might be different.

Why don't you go to work and snivel your praises to your boss. That's where you belong. Realist my arse. I'll tell you what real is. Real is an angry, passionate 300lb defensive lineman who smashes his opponent to the turf. It doesn't get any more real than that especially if your on the receiving end of that punishment. Forget your scientific outlook and simply work harder, set the bar higher and see where it takes you. If you can't even try, you're a loser.

Good sentiments and discussion.

I try to save my fire and passion for my own affairs. I often think that a lot of fans would be better served taking the zeal and energy that they feel for their sports teams and applying it to their own lives.

When I was much younger I lived vicariously through my teams. I would actually use sporting events as a reason to skip more significant events in my life…and I think there are others here who've had the same experience.

It actually took me awhile to get past that…take the criticisms I aimed at sports teams/athletes, and apply them to my own life. Odd but true.

You apply your zeal and passion to every phase of your life. You don't exclude your zeal and passion for a game anymore than you exclude zeal and passion from your every day life. Next?

Good discussion. I love it how many of you state how the Bills' new rookie class and second year kids should help improve our win/loss record, but totally forget that 31 other teams in the league are in the same boat. The only way this team can improve is to hit on our draft picks at a higher rate than all our competitors and that remains to be seen.

8 & 8 will be a major improvement and almost everyone should be content with that record by the end of the year. If that happens, our Bills can finally feel confident enough to add a couple of pieces, via free agency, to help propel us to the playoffs. Until then, I'd hold off on acquiring premier free agents.

Building through the draft is key to the success of the Bills and they should spare no expense on a top notch scouting department, instead of free agents. So far the Bills are doing just that, having fired Modrak and issuing a statement that they will continue to evaluate their scouting department. The Bills are doing all the right things, right now, and I hope this trend continues, Then and only then can we build a team that can succeed in the long-term.

Not true at all. The greatest improvements come from working harder, setting higher goals and being passionate about it. This applies to everything you do in life. It's true of this football team and it's true of the fans who watch them play. Gailey hit the nail on the head last year when he said " I get the feeling some people around here would be pleased with just being 9-7 and having a winning record again. Well, where do you want me to pick the seven losses? And why even bother to play those games? That's not what we are going to be about.''

Edited by Rockinon

I don't look at this season as a whole. I look at those first 6 games before the bye and think "what if"...

1. BUF @ KC - winnable game that will truly set the tone for what kind of season the Bills will have

2. OAK @ BUF - win

3. NE @ BUF - if the Bills do beat the Chiefs and Raiders, this Pats game's outcome will tell the fans and the NFL world if the Bills are for real or not. probably a loss, but "what if"...

4. BUF @ CIN - win

5. PHI @ BUF - 4-0 team and having beat the Pats? Bills would probably be favored here

6. BUF @ NYG - 5-0? yeah, they'd probably be due for a loss out of conference and away from home

The Bills need to go all out to win that KC game. If they somehow beat the Pats and are 3-0 heading into the Cincy game, holy cow this play would be crazy. A lot of "if"s I know, but I can see it happening.

You apply your zeal and passion to every phase of your life. You don't exclude your zeal and passion for a game anymore than you exclude zeal and passion from your every day life. Next?

As was pointed out earlier, we're fans, not players. I personally lived in Buffalo for 35 years (but I don't live there anymore).

I have lots of zeal and passion for the Bills or I wouldn't be here posting every day as I do.

That said, my zeal and passion have no bearing on how the team will do…it only has a bearing on my own life.

And I'm doing just fine, thank you. Next?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

As was pointed out earlier, we're fans, not players. I personally lived in Buffalo for 35 years (but I don't live there anymore).

I have lots of zeal and passion for the Bills or I wouldn't be here posting every day as I do.

That said, my zeal and passion have no bearing on how the team will do…it only has a bearing on my own life.

And I'm doing just fine, thank you. Next?

In today's world of social media, the players see how passionate we are. When we go to the games they see how passionate we are. If you have ever been an athlete you would understand that the players feed off of that. No bearing whatsoever? I wouldn't say that.

In today's world of social media, the players see how passionate we are. When we go to the games they see how passionate we are. If you have ever been an athlete you would understand that the players feed off of that. No bearing whatsoever? I wouldn't say that.

Well, I can only speak for myself.

I'm a very passionate fan but I can only attend a Bills game every few years when they're out here, and I don't Tweet nor do I have any pro athletes as FB friends.

I see your point though.

3-12 this year, with the 3 wins coming near the end of the season. It takes time to build a winner & we are playing like every playoff team, with 2 of them coming twice.

This one is truly amazing. First off 3 + 12 = 15. An NFL season has 16 games.

Just because a team was in the playoffs last year doesn't mean they'll be just as good this year. Chiefs were 4-12 om 2009 and 10-6 in 2010. Why can't we do that? How long does it take to build a winner anyway? Haven't we been trying to do that since 2001?

This is what I call perpetual rebuilding mode which many here on TBD subscribe to.

If we could on get Luck :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

This one is truly amazing. First off 3 + 12 = 15. An NFL season has 16 games.

Just because a team was in the playoffs last year doesn't mean they'll be just as good this year. Chiefs were 4-12 om 2009 and 10-6 in 2010. Why can't we do that? How long does it take to build a winner anyway? Haven't we been trying to do that since 2001?

This is what I call perpetual rebuilding mode which many here on TBD subscribe to.

If we could on get Luck :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

You're the first person to catch that, I think one week is toast this season for multiple reasons & they only get 15 weeks in total. They won't cut the division games out & there is no divisional games weeks 2 / 4 in the NFL for a reason. They'll make-up all but one of those games missed up at the end of the year (non-divisional) & eliminate the bye for every team.

The pressure will all be on the players at that time to play ball with the owners. The owners by waiting until that time save themselves a fortune because of the regular season games being missed, it's a bargaining chip that turns the fans against the players. The owners won't miss gamechecks, they also have more reserves than the players.

Edited by Scrappy

Well, I can only speak for myself.

I'm a very passionate fan but I can only attend a Bills game every few years when they're out here, and I don't Tweet nor do I have any pro athletes as FB friends.

I see your point though.

I'm not knocking you. I just want to see some attitudes change. When losing becomes acceptable, it's time to change the culture that breeds more of the same. The sport would not exist without the fan and the fan would not exist without the sport. It's a two way street. We as fans we expect performance from our sports team. But it doesn't end there. We we have a responsibility to them as well. Why should they play their hearts for us if we don't support them? No one should sacrifice family for sports, but that doesn't mean we can't be passionate supporters for a team. If we want to change the culture of losing it takes more than a handful of people. We need our fix of sports the same way that the players on that team need the fan for their fix. It's time for people to realize that winning comes at a price.