USA Today Report: Bills would have traded

I'm no Tom Modrak, but I believe Ponder will be the best QB in this years draft class and I would have been thrilled if the Bills had been able to trade back into the first to grab him.

You're Fired.

--Buddy Nix

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all about dissenting opinions and good discussion but do you actually have anything to base your opinion on?

Do you think the fact that the team was highly complimentary of him during and after the Senior Bowl carries no weight?

How about Andre Reed tweeting about welcoming Ponder to the Bills before the draft?

The testimony of an NFL insider?

If you want to be a contrarian fine…but please enlighten me.

We were taking a QB was the call & sent messages that was our direction to multiple sources. Nix went on PFT & so did Chan talking about how we were considering every spot a possibility & liked a huge amount of people. We talked up our 3rd pick & our potential desire for Buffalo to come back into the first round for Ponder was a potential option. It spooked the Vikings to jump early to get him, knowing he might not be there & he was considered 2nd round material.

Considering nearly our entire draft went to secure the defense & we had the ability to take 3 good looking QB prospects early in the second round, what makes you think we wanted a QB ? A tweet ?? A rumor from Andre Reed ?? Chan complimented many people over the past few months, should all of them have been a target ??

I think the bigger picture was is that we instilled fear in the rest of the league as to what we could do, that's the trick we haven't played in a while. Then today we toss Tom Modrak to the curb, which tells me we have a plan to actually go somewhere. I'd plan on poker being played & a new attitude coming from the sheriff at 1BD.

Edited by Scrappy

We were taking a QB was the call & sent messages that was our direction to multiple sources. Nix went on PFT & so did Chan talking about how we were considering every spot a possibility & liked a huge amount of people. We talked up our 3rd pick & our potential desire for Buffalo to come back into the first round for Ponder was a potential option. It spooked the Vikings to jump early to get him, knowing he might not be there & he was considered 2nd round material.

Considering nearly our entire draft went to secure the defense & we had the ability to take 3 good looking QB prospects early in the second round, what makes you think we wanted a QB ? A tweet ?? A rumor from Andre Reed ?? Chan complimented many people over the past few months, should all of them have been a target ??

I think the bigger picture was is that we instilled fear in the rest of the league as to what we could do, that's the trick we haven't played in a while. Then today we toss Tom Modrak to the curb, which tells me we have a plan to actually go somewhere. I'd plan on poker being played & a new attitude coming from the sheriff at 1BD.

Interesting perspective. Would be kind of cool if it were true but we will never know. I liked Ponder, but I am happy with our draft.

I'm not buying this at all, seriously.

I'm all about dissenting opinions and good discussion but do you actually have anything to base your opinion on?

Do you think the fact that the team was highly complimentary of him during and after the Senior Bowl carries no weight?

How about Andre Reed tweeting about welcoming Ponder to the Bills before the draft?

The testimony of an NFL insider?

If you want to be a contrarian fine…but please enlighten me.

Thanks for replying and supporting your previously unsupported comment.

We'll likely never know the truth.

But note that there are many reasons to believe the report as many in this thread have already supported…

IMO, the reports, speculation, and circumstantial evidence (comments by the Bills brass) are pretty strong that the Bills liked Newton at #3…would have considered Gabbert at #3 if it was a choice between he and Von Miller…and that they simply didn't feel that strongly about the two QBs left at #34, Kapernick and Dalton.

But I understand your position and the reasons for this position.

Jim Miller, former NFL quarterback told USA Today writer Jim Corbett that the Bills would have traded back into the first round if Christian Ponder had not been selected at #12 by the Minnesota Vikings.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-05-03-jake-locker-sw_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNfl-TopStories+%28Sports+-+NFL+-+Top+Stor

If true, this confirms the widely-held belief that the Bills only considered two QBs from this draft class…Cam Newton and Christian Ponder…to be "franchise quarterbacks."

Wow ... are Jim Miller and Buddy and Chan drinking buddies?

Just where in the world does Mr. Speculation Miller claim any inside information?

I just don't see our guys trading up in the draft ... we might have picked Ponder if he was there when it was our pick but Buddy has been pretty clear about not believing in moving around in the draft ... the Bills have paid too high a price in the past for it and I can't imagine him wanting to risk a comparison to the Losman fiasco.