Rick Gosselin gives Bills an A+

As I understand it, Gosselin is more worth listening to as he has cultivated "Deep Throats" on many teams and is trusted to make an amalgam and not give anything away for each team. So he gets the straight gouge.

Historically, his "top 5 players at position" is scary accurate to how the draft falls out. Discrepancies are usually late-breaking concerns such as Cannon's cancer diagnosis or Bower's knee.

I was looking back at Gosselin last year. He had Troup as #91 in his list of top 100 players - Bills drafted Troup at Pick 41. Carrington was #86, we drafted him at #72. Spiller was #17, we know the rest. I probably knew this at the time, but man, we were reaching in the 1st 3 rounds.

I like this year's draft better because it seems we were reaching less and getting some players who are valued above where we drafted.

I worry that if we don't make some changes in the scouting, next year when Gailey doesn't get to coach the Sr bowl we'll be back in the mode of trying to outsmart ourselves.

Good info, and goes towards my feeling that the Senior Bowl experience was extremely helpful.

The Buffalo Bills were the only team to get a A+ draft rating

from Rick Gosselin ....of the "Dallas Morning News" ....

Read this article

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/05/index.html

« BLOGS BillBoardDMN gives Bills A+

May 1, 2011 - 9:56 AM | Comment

Dallas Morning News draft analyst Rick Gosselin gave the Bills the only A+ grade in the draft in his analysis of the selections today.

Wrote Gosselin: The Bills had nine selections and five of them were above value for the round they were drafted: Williams, Hairston, the two Whites and Rogers. A good draft becomes great in the third day. The Bills hit for the cycle on Saturday. A+

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper gave the Bills a grade of B. Nine teams got higher than a B. Wrote Kiper: Buffalo drafted some really good football players and clearly put the emphasis on defense. Dareus is the ideal penetrating pass-rusher to convert into a 3-4 defensive end and allows the Bills to really stick with that scheme. The Bills also got a good value with Williams early in Round 2. Sheppard is a guy that while not very explosive, is instinctive and should be starting early in his career. Where I do have a question is why they again waited until Day 3 to get any help on the offensive line. They didn't take an offensive tackle until the fifth round last year, when that need seemed more glaring.

The Buffalo News' draft analysis runs in Monday's editions.

---Mark Gaughan

Rick Goslin has been voted the best draft expert year after year...

The Bills Brass really out did themselves this year...

In my opinion the scouts did a great job...

Next year they will go after a QB who will have a more experienced Offensive line in front of him to protect him.

Too many QBs are drafted without a good team around them... The last two years the Bills have built a strong, young team that will only need a quality leader at QB to learn behind Fitzpatric... One more draft and we will make the playoffs...with a sound foundation... I liked the way Nix is building this team and apparently so does Golsin...

The Bills glaring need was defense. They addressed it.

The Bills FO is also confident in Fitz. So why draft a QB this year? It seems that the other daft experts (yes I misspelled it on purpose) give us poor marks for not drafting a QB. Many for passing on Ryan Mallett.

From a link on the D&C and draft grades, the Bills got a B. Out nemesis the Putrids a B-. :worthy:

Bellyache produced the biggest stir of the third round by taking QB Ryan Mallett, whose big arm is weighed against maturity questions.

YET he didn't land the big-time pass-rusher the team still needs.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Belli isn't driving pats decisions, kraft is. That cheapo only wants to pay one player, Brady. They act like belli is some kind of genius for stock piling picks and cutting loose key starters like seymour. meanwhile their playoff performances get worse every year. Cheapo kraft wants big market top line deal with the league where he doesn't have to share revenues, but he wants a small market budget like buffalo.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Figured I'd throw this in here...

interesting little tid-bit on mockers.......

Best mockers

We can now safely say that, in the end, mock drafts are pretty much a waste of time. ESPN's Mel Kiper is about as good as they get, and you know how many of the 32 first-round picks he got right? Nine. ESPN's Todd McShay got eight right. And Sports Illustrated's Peter King, who is about as plugged into the NFL as any reporter on the planet, got only seven right. Meanwhile, Rich Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News might be the new draft king. Year in and year out, Gosselin's mock drafts are among the best in the country, and this year he got 14 right. When you think about it, that's pretty impressive, especially because he nailed several of the surprising picks: Jake Locker to the Titans at No. 8, Nick Fairley to the Lions at No. 13 and Anthony Costanzo to the Colts at No. 22.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/twocents/con...may-2nd-edition