Glaring weaknesses addressed, glaring holes remain

I think Bell will will be fine at LT (the needs on defense were much much much higher than drafting a noobie LT)

TE doesn't seem to be an important part of Gaiey's offense anyway. No worries there.

I'm more concerned about not having a "good" backup QB - if Fitz goes down who is going to take over, Brown? I hope they pick up a decent FA 2nd string QB.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I an enamored with Vince Young.. I can't help but wonder what Chan & company could do with this guy..

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Usually when you are picking in the Top 5 of the draft, your team has more holes than actual good players. We had 9 picks. I think it's safe to say we're much farther away from a Super Bowl than 9 guys. But I also think we used those 9 picks to address certain major needs wisely. We'll see what the FO does as we move forward with the building process.

The Defense took a huge step forward in the draft no doubt about it. Is the team still a year away? Yeah its hard to go from 4-12 to 12-4 but are they headed in the right direction? Yeah no doubt about it Dareus alone is a difference maker. We still have needs of course no one expected them to get filled all at once.

However if the front office can find some quality depth LB's in free agency and maybe pick up a piece on offense (As well as a backup QB) this team has a shot to be .500 or better. Maybe not playoffs but on the upswing.

Rome wasn't built in a day but if Dareus is an anchor for this teams front 7, Williams is a quality starter in the secondary, and Sheppard is a contributor in the LB core and a late round pick contributes than its looking like this draft is building the defense.

Edited by billsfan89

The Defense took a huge step forward in the draft no doubt about it. Is the team still a year away? Yeah its hard to go from 4-12 to 12-4 but are they headed in the right direction? Yeah no doubt about it Dareus alone is a difference maker. We still have needs of course no one expected them to get filled all at once.

However if the front office can find some quality depth LB's in free agency and maybe pick up a piece on offense (As well as a backup QB) this team has a shot to be .500 or better. Maybe not playoffs but on the upswing.

Rome wasn't built in a day but if Dareus is an anchor for this teams front 7, Williams is a quality starter in the secondary, and Sheppard is a contributor in the LB core and a late round pick contributes than its looking like this draft is building the defense.

Agreed 100% Go Bills!! :thumbsup:

Rudolph has great hands and I am a big fan and would have loved to see him on the Bills.

Reality: Rudolph has health concerns as he tore his hamstraing from the bone last year along with the injuries from the prior year. He is not a blocker at this point.

I think Buddy and Chan figured this was a Free Agency position where one addtional tight end can supplement or replace Chandler, Stupar and Nelson.

Don't count-out Chandler. He's huge (6'7" and 270#), runs a 4.78 40-yard, is an excellent blocker and finished 17th in receiving yards (2nd among TE's) in Iowa history. He joined the Bills mid-season and could be a big factor in the passing game this year.

Hopefully we will improve but still lose enough games to draft Andrew Luck no. 1 next year. That needs to be the plan if you really want the next Jim Kelly. Plus, Chan does not use the tight end, so why spend a high pick on one?

I hope you're kidding. Hoping we will "improve but still lose enough games to draft Andrew Luck no. 1 next year" is really bad or desparate thinking for any fan.

One draft can't do it all (especially after inheriting another regimes team) and no matter what our record is for 2011 we should still have a shot at a quality QB from a better class in 2012. Since so many teams went for broke on QB's this year, there should be quality QB's in the later part of the first round and even early in the second round in 2012.

Even the Pats didn't do much in this draft because, I think, they knew there was next year's draft class to look forward to.

Yes, there is still going to be a free agency if there is a season this year and the Bills will address other neds there as well. Will we make the playoffs this year? Possible but not probable.

Let's just start by improving and maybe beating the teams in our own division more first. Ya gotta learn to walk before you can run.

Gailey has said many times he likes the tight end he picked up mid-season. Can't believe he wouldn't use any weapon he has. At least this is not the impression I've gotten so far.

Scott Chandler has exactly 1 reception in 4 NFL seasons on 4 different teams. They like him for his in-line blocking ability, but I'd be willing to say he's never going to threaten an opponent vertically. And I don't see Gailey or Nix as really caring about TE's who block and can receive.

They shouldn't be destroyed for not taking a TE in the draft, but it will hurt their offense when teams throw Cover 2 and 3 looks at them. It's nice to have good receivers, and their group is young. But in the NFL of 2011, most teams have a viable receiving threat at TE who provide that extra dimension to attack defenses. Buffalo doesn't have that, unless of course they go for a Kevin Boss or Zach Miller in UFA. We'll see, but I doubt they throw serious money at an all-around TE.