2011 Summer Movie Preview

Mark Vader

I wasn't sure if I was keen on seeing Thor, but so far after 30+ reviews it has a 96% rating on rotten tomatoes....that's ridiculous! My boy Harry Knowles at AICN also gave it a very glowing review...I'm almost certain I'm gonna check it out at the theater now...opens first week of May.

That goes to show you just how good Marvel has been with their movie adaptations. Most of their movies have been entertaining, but Spider-Man 2, X2 & Iron Man were exceptional movies.

Marvel has done a great job overall, whereas DC continues to struggle. If it wasn't for Christopher Nolan handling the Batman series, DC would be in trouble.

That goes to show you just how good Marvel has been with their movie adaptations. Most of their movies have been entertaining, but Spider-Man 2, X2 & Iron Man were exceptional movies.

Marvel has done a great job overall, whereas DC continues to struggle. If it wasn't for Christopher Nolan handling the Batman series, DC would be in trouble.

Definitely agree. I am really looking forward to getting these next few films out before they put together the first Avengers film. That has the potential to truly be epic if they do it right.

When I first looked at the Thor rating, I figured there just weren't than may reviews. But when I saw it was like 30 pos, 2 neg, I figured there must really be something to this film. I went from being borderline disinterested to pretty stoked to see it in a week or two. Can't wait!

Dumber than talking toys, bugs, or monsters?

:lol:

I knew that response was coming.

Has DC done much in recent years other than Batman and the Superman reboot? I can't really think of anything. The Green Lantern will be the obvious big test for them (especially if they finally do want to move forward with a Justice League project). I'm very interested in that one, but I have a hard time seeing it catching on in the mainstream. So far it seems a bit too sci-fi from the trailers I've seen. All the great ones you mentioned are still somewhat based in reality, there's something you can relate to. I can't shake the feeling that all the Oa stuff and the alien green lanterns is going to be a bit much.

• 2 weeks later...

I have said before that I have not been a huge fan of how the Transformers series of movies has turned out.

Yet I have to admit, this image is F*@$!NG Awesome! http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2383525888/tt1399103

I enjoyed the first Transformers film, but was really let down by the second. I will admit, though, the trailers for the current film REALLY have my psyched to give it a chance.

I'm also very excited to see Thor now, even though I was only lukewarm to it before. The reviews for it are REALLY good. Could be up there with Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Spidey 2 as one of the best superhero films to hit the big screen.

Definitely agree. I am really looking forward to getting these next few films out before they put together the first Avengers film. That has the potential to truly be epic if they do it right.

When I first looked at the Thor rating, I figured there just weren't than may reviews. But when I saw it was like 30 pos, 2 neg, I figured there must really be something to this film. I went from being borderline disinterested to pretty stoked to see it in a week or two. Can't wait!

Saw Thor last night and it was very good. As with you, I was not interested till a few weeks ago. But yesterday I had time to kill and the reviews were good so I saw it. Chris Hemsworth is mostly good though he does go too cute when he arrives on earth. I would have liked a bit more brawn and bit less sweetness. ANyway, I would never have expected a person with strong stage pedigree as Kenneth Branagh to direct such a movie and do it so well.

Saw Thor last night and it was very good. As with you, I was not interested till a few weeks ago. But yesterday I had time to kill and the reviews were good so I saw it. Chris Hemsworth is mostly good though he does go too cute when he arrives on earth. I would have liked a bit more brawn and bit less sweetness. ANyway, I would never have expected a person with strong stage pedigree as Kenneth Branagh to direct such a movie and do it so well.

I wish that they could re-do the SW prequels, cause I actually thought Kenneth Branagh would have been PERFECT for Obi Wan. Not that Ewan did a bad job, but I think if you have Kenneth as Obi Wan and Joshua Jackson for Anakin, that would improve things quite a bit. But yeah, I agree about Branagh's pedigree. He's a top notch actor on stage and screen.

I wish that they could re-do the SW prequels, cause I actually thought Kenneth Branagh would have been PERFECT for Obi Wan. Not that Ewan did a bad job, but I think if you have Kenneth as Obi Wan and Joshua Jackson for Anakin, that would improve things quite a bit. But yeah, I agree about Branagh's pedigree. He's a top notch actor on stage and screen.

BTW - what was the Jeremy Renner cameo all about ? Or did I mistake someone for Renner ?

Seeing this movie reminded me of the things I learn from movies (that original thread is buried deep):

- Men yearn for godesses but superheros and Norsk Gods like mortal women

- Norsk Gods can come to modern earth and immediately pick up the dialect and understand its culture

BTW - what was the Jeremy Renner cameo all about ? Or did I mistake someone for Renner ?

Seeing this movie reminded me of the things I learn from movies (that original thread is buried deep):

- Men yearn for godesses but superheros and Norsk Gods like mortal women

- Norsk Gods can come to modern earth and immediately pick up the dialect and understand its culture

First of all; yes, that was Jeremy Renner. He's Clint Barton/Hawkeye.

As for your second point; that's why they are called movies, not real life.

Edited by Mark Vader

For those of you who can't wait to watch Hangover 2, just watch the first movie and every time you see the bright lights of Vegas, picture the slums of Thailand in your mind. It's what the writers did when writing the 2nd movie.

Edited by Bangarang

First of all; yes, that was Jeremy Renner. He's Clint Barton/Hawkeye.

As for your second point; that's why they are called movies, not real life.

I was not complaining. Simply adding to the list of 'things I learned from the movies' which was a stand-alone thread a while back.

Or they could have skipped the little kid stuff completely and gone with Neeson as Obi Wan and Ewan as Anakin. Granted, McGregor was one of the few positives from those movies.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as most of you seem to be with Thor. I wasn't all that interested but then the reviews roped me in. Hopefully I see it this weekend.

Edited by shrader

I was not complaining. Simply adding to the list of 'things I learned from the movies' which was a stand-alone thread a while back.

I remember that thread, I didn't mean for my reply to sound negative.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thought the Transformers movies weren't any good? Also, the new Pirates movie was pretty bad.

No you are not alone in that thought about the Transformers series. I am a big fan of the original Transformers series, and had been waiting for a live action motion picture to be made.

When I heard Dreamworks & Paramount were the studios behind the project I was :w00t: , then when I heard that Michael Bay was going to direct I went :huh::o:doh::sick::wallbash:.

The first movie was pretty good, it was fun and entertaining, and kind of what I had expected. I was not all that crazy about the look they gave Megatron, but I was'nt expecting them to look the same way they did in the cartoon. My biggest problem was that my greatest fears came true in these movies. The primary focus was more on the humans than the robots. I wanted fully developed robot characters, not Shia Labeouf running around screaming "No" all the time.

The second movie was an absolute disgrace and complete insult to all Transformers fans. The so called "comedic" moments were at a lower level than anything Adam Sandler & Will Ferrell would do. The more robots that were added were baseless, non-descript creations, and just what exactly was The Fallen anyway?

Now of course I will be a fool and see the 3rd movie anyway, guess I'm just a sucker for this series. The special effects look amazing, but that has been the one thing that has been good about this series. Michael Bay has promised that this movie will be more dark and edgy and will delve more into the robots characters. We'll see. The amount of destruction shown in the new trailer looks unbelievable, and I am thrilled at how Shockwave looks.

One thing about Hollywood I can rely on, is that everything gets re-made. So I do hold out hope that within another 20 years, someone who has a real love for Transformers, will give it the proper treatment it deserves. Some of you may laugh at me and say, "What do you expect? It's a movie based on a line of toys and cartoon series!" That is true, and I'm not expecting an Oscar film to be made out of this series, but I am looking for something that can be made into good science fiction/fantasy. If you don't believe me, then I suggest you see the original "Transformers: The Movie" from 1986, and I also urge you to check out the 1996-1999 computer animated series "Beast Wars". Watching both of those will show you that Transformers can be taken seriously.

As for the recent Pirates of the Caribbean movie, I liked it. It took a little while to get going, but I enjoyed the adventure of it. Ian McShane was quite good as Blackbeard, and I liked all the mermaid and zombie stuff. It was not as convoluted a story as the last two movies were.

Edited by Mark Vader

Am I the only one who thought the Transformers movies weren't any good? Also, the new Pirates movie was pretty bad.

I think that opinion is about as close to universal as possible.