Some details on league's proposals for rookies

Link

NEW YORK – The NFL's proposal to the players for a rookie compensation system would divert about $300 million a year from first-round draft picks' contracts to veterans and player benefits.

Also an interesting idea that would $ penalize the player for a rookie holdout.

Gotta say that the combined guaranteed salaries for Top-10-pick rookies in the '00s is really surprising when you see it all added up there. Two billion dollars... for a collection of guys that had probably a 50% bust rate.

I think that is exactly what they need to do, cut these rookie salaries!!! Pay the guy that went undrafted and proved himself the past five years... The money these kids (and I'll say it again KIDS) get paid is ridiculous!!!!

And I agree with penalizing them for rookie holdouts. You just got drafted... GET TO WORK!!!

I'm looking forward to comparing the contracts of the 2011 top 10 players selected with last years selections...

1. Sam Bradford QB St. Louis Signed Six years, $78 million ($50M guaranteed)

2. Ndamukong Suh DT Detroit Signed Five years, $68 million ($40M guaranteed)

3. Gerald McCoy DT Tampa Bay Signed Five years, $63 million ($35M guaranteed)

4. Trent Williams OT Washington Signed Six years, $60 million ($36.75M guaranteed)

5. Eric Berry SS Kansas City Signed Six years, $60 million ($34M guaranteed)

6. Russell Okung OT Seattle Signed Six years, $46.5 million ($29.5M guaranteed)

7. Joe Haden CB Cleveland Signed Five years, $50M million ($26M guaranteed)

8. Rolando McClain LB Oakland Signed Five years, $40 million ($23M guaranteed)

9. C.J. Spiller RB Buffalo Signed Five years, $37 million ($20.8M guaranteed)

10. Tyson Alualu DE Jacksonville Signed Five years, $28 million ($17.5M guaranteed)

It's about time this got fixed.

PS What a surprise...player agents don't like the new deal. Those big commissions for getting their claws into a young college player just came to a screeching halt.

"...Several agents said the proposals place unfair limitations on players entering the league."

Edited by LabattBlue

There has been rumbling about how the average players career is only 3-4 years long and to limit their earnings initially is unfair. I would say that rookies should all be obligated to the team that drafts them for 5 years for those drafted in the first three years, 4 years for the remainder of those drafted and UDFA's for 3 years to the team that signs them.

After two years, performance escalators could be standard for those who perform well.

While I'm far more inclined to back the players in the current CBA war, I would never allow a contract to be renegotiated until the final year of the contract, although I believe a portion of every contract should be guaranteed, on a sliding scale based upon how may years are left on the deal. The less time left, the bigger the percentage.