Nanny State

Do what you want with yourself - I guess...you're still a burden to the rest of us.

When your neglecting your kids someone needs to step in, be it the government or otherwise. !@#$ing unfit clueless parents...

All this talk about Motherment and "personal responsibility". WTF do you do when someone clearly can't be responsible for themselves and their dependents?

Edited by Gene Frenkle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what you want with yourself - I guess...you're still a burden to the rest of us.

When your neglecting your kids someone needs to step in, be it the government or otherwise. !@#$ing unfit clueless parents...

All this talk about Motherment and "personal responsibility". WTF do you do when someone clearly can't be responsible for themselves and their dependents?

Hence the argument against socialized health care and welfare. At least people with health problems die early and therefore take less social security.

How is this a situation where kids are being neglected? We're talking about brown bagging a lunch for God's sake.

How is this a situation where kids are being neglected? We're talking about brown bagging a lunch for God's sake.

My contention is that having obese kids is akin to child abuse, or at least severe neglect. Sounds like the little fatties are brown bagging doughnuts and chili cheese dogs!

Define "clearly". <_<:wallbash:

When you have kids who are obese, by a reasonable standard like body fat percentage.

So "clearly", by the reasonable standard of body fat percentage, any kid who's hypothyroidic and Type 1 diabetic has irresponsible parents.

Shouldn't the GAS (Great Almighty School) be teaching the kids what healthy food is so that the kids can educate their parents on what to make them for lunch?

"MooOOooOooom.....I don't want the peanut butter and jelly sandwich....I want ...... wait for it........ it's killing you, isn't it....... oooOOooOOohhhgodooogodooogod..... 3........2..........1...............

LENTILS!!!!!!!"

So "clearly", by the reasonable standard of body fat percentage, any kid who's hypothyroidic and Type 1 diabetic has irresponsible parents.

I think you're being unreasonable here. Of course there would be exceptions for kids who are fat because of a medical condition. I don't think I really need to spell out the entire law to make a valid point.

I think you're being unreasonable here. Of course there would be exceptions for kids who are fat because of a medical condition. I don't think I really need to spell out the entire law to make a valid point.

So the government will be testing or requiring proof as to why the child is overweight? You can stop now.

With regard to the bolded part. Are you really suggesting we create a law making it illegal for parents to raise fat kids. And you're saying Tom is being unreasonable.

Edited by Chef Jim

So the government will be testing or requiring proof as to why the child is overweight? You can stop now.

With regard to the bolded part. Are you really suggesting we create a law making it illegal for parents to raise fat kids. And you're saying Tom is being unreasonable.

I have come to believe that Frenkle is a Left-wing Fascist who somehow thinks that because of his atheism he is superior to those of us that aren't. In his mind he has all of the right answers and would like to impose his solutions on the rest of us.

You're the one making blanket generalizations. Now you've managed to extrapolate from that and one school's policy an entire law that requires each individual child be tested by a public organization for dietary requirements, in order to make up for "clearly" "bad" parenting.

In the interests of saving money, no less.

You're the one making blanket generalizations. Now you've managed to extrapolate from that and one school's policy an entire law that requires each individual child be tested by a public organization for dietary requirements, in order to make up for "clearly" "bad" parenting.

In the interests of saving money, no less.

My assertion is that raising fat kids is akin to neglect or even child abuse. If a child has a thyroid condition or Type I Diabetes it will be documented. All children are not required to be publicly tested for neglect or abuse. There are (thankfully) laws as well as government organizations which deal with individual cases as necessary.

I have come to believe that Frenkle is a Left-wing Fascist who somehow thinks that because of his atheism he is superior to those of us that aren't. In his mind he has all of the right answers and would like to impose his solutions on the rest of us.

Did you read that on humanevents? You've got me all figured out...

My assertion is that raising fat kids is akin to neglect or even child abuse. If a child has a thyroid condition or Type I Diabetes it will be documented. All children are not required to be publicly tested for neglect or abuse. There are (thankfully) laws as well as government organizations which deal with individual cases as necessary.

Did you read that on humanevents? You've got me all figured out...

Did it all by myself. It's nice to know I got it right.

Now who is it who, in his own mind, thinks he has all the right answers??? Hmmmm...

I said I got it right. I don't claim to have all the answers and even I did, I wouldn't try to impose them on you. That is where we differ.

I said I got it right. I don't claim to have all the answers and even I did, I wouldn't try to impose them on you. That is where we differ.

What am I trying to impose on you exactly? Should action not be taken if a parent is starving their child?

So, what is the ideal body fat percentage that you would like to legislate?

Like I'm pulling all of this out of my ass or introducing some new radical idea by linking body fat percentage to obesity... :rolleyes:

For the sake of argument, let's say >35% for females and >30% for males. Maybe a bit higher, maybe not. If you meet that criteria, you are definitely a fat-ass. If your kid meets that criteria, you are not being a responsible parent.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/bodyfat.htm

At what body fat percentage would you consider that a parent is starving his or her child?