Anybody Here Ever Have a Knee Replacement?

The Avenger

After years of having bad knees (they started to go south on my in high school) and over a year of fairly constant ostearthritis knee pain the time has come for knee replacement surgery (round 1 - I need both done and after I get through the first I'll have to start think about the other).

Anybody here ever had their knee replaced? I'm trying to figure out what to expect. It's hard because I'm at least 20 years younger than most people who have this surgery (I'm only 41). It's hard to understand what things are going to be like when my surgical peer group is in their 60s and 70s. Anyway, regardless of your age - if you've had a knee replacement I'd love to hear any advice you can give me and tell me about your experience with the procedure and the rehab. I know it's not going to be too fun but from what I've heard I'll be really glad I did this when all is said and done (you have no idea how happy I'll be if I can spend most of the day on my feet without pain and sleep through the night without knee pain waking me up).

After years of having bad knees (they started to go south on my in high school) and over a year of fairly constant ostearthritis knee pain the time has come for knee replacement surgery (round 1 - I need both done and after I get through the first I'll have to start think about the other).

Anybody here ever had their knee replaced? I'm trying to figure out what to expect. It's hard because I'm at least 20 years younger than most people who have this surgery (I'm only 41). It's hard to understand what things are going to be like when my surgical peer group is in their 60s and 70s. Anyway, regardless of your age - if you've had a knee replacement I'd love to hear any advice you can give me and tell me about your experience with the procedure and the rehab. I know it's not going to be too fun but from what I've heard I'll be really glad I did this when all is said and done (you have no idea how happy I'll be if I can spend most of the day on my feet without pain and sleep through the night without knee pain waking me up).

My dad had hip replacement surgery last fall. I know it is not the same, but I think they are similar in rehab and such. He was the same way, could not finish a round of golf without pain, had trouble sleeping. So he finally decided to get it done. He was terrifed but from the whole process it could not have gone better. The doctor told me the worst thing someone could do is put it off too long, then the rehab really becomes much harder. My dad was walking with a cane in 2-3 days & was out of rehab after 2 weeks. He feels great now & I actually golfed with him Saturday & he said that was the first he shot a pain free round of golf in 5 years. If your realtively healthy & in decent shape you should not have too much of a problem. Good luck.

Edited by Gordio

My brother (52) had his done in December. I saw him probably 4 weeks after the surgery. He was limping but still able to get around pretty well. The key is to rehab, rehab, rehab. For him it was easy seeing he owns a landscaping business so he is off in the winters so he had time. He actaully went skiing in February I think and our dad said he looked great.

My dad had knee replacement surgery a couple yrs ago but he was 70. Like you said his recovery period will be different than yours. He was laid up for a few weeks and really was in agony at first. He had to take some good pain meds which he normally would not touch. It worked well for him and he's fine now but the process was too much for him. He's not getting the 2nd knee done even though he needs to. He'll just limp around on his other leg.

Edited by zow2

I had my R knee replaced 9 years ago last month (3/02). I originally injured it in 1984, had several "scopes" over the years till there was nothing left. I was 54 when I had it done.

All things considered, I think it's an improvement. Not perfect but an improvement. Had to go to a pre-op class. They told us what to expect. My doctor had me donate a unit of blood before the surgery. The nurse that gave the class told me it would be a "bloodless surgery." I asked her why I had to donate a unit of blood? She said they call it bloodless because they put a very tight tourniquet around the top of your leg BUT when they take it off; "you will bleed like a :censored::censored:!

The tough part was the rehab and physical therapy. You Have to Do It! Otherwise the joint will build too much scar tissue, it will always be stiff, and you won't have good range of motion (bending)which is not good.

I have read that some hospitals do it as out-patient now. I can't imagine that but it's been 9 years for me so maybe it is possible now. My left knee is not in the best shape but replacement has never been discussed so I'm not raising the issue.

As for sleeping, you might start out with a firm pillow under the replaced knee. If you sleep on your back that may be OK. As for pain. Have you ever heard of phantom pain? You may experience some of that, post-op, but it eventually goes away.

Was it the most fun I ever had? No :censored: way! BUT, I had no choice and so far it's been OK. My wife & I walk for 2 miles around the hood almost every day, so I have no trouble walking and that's totally unassisted, and no I don't limp! I can ride my 10 speed without any problem just set a moderate pace, no Tour deFrance stuff. My job usually has me sitting or walking, not too much standing, but i expect that would be OK too.

Good luck! Don't fight the rehab, it's all for the best, everyone that has this done is not over the hill, it's not just for old people!

My dad in 1990 at the age of 67. His surgeon was a former running back named Jim Swink from TCU. He did well afterwards. In April of 1998, we lost him to either a fall or a stroke.