Lets just say you are Buddy Nix

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stopping the run is a bigger issue than QB, we cant let the Jets or Chiefs just run on us like last year.

Who knows...Fitz may get better with an off season with Gailey, if he can cut down on the INT's and we get some more production from spiller we will be fine on Offense.

We Really need some LB's.

We've had great run defenses with pat williams, Ted washington and Sam Adams. We didn't win jack. I agree, that we NEED to improve our run D, but IMO, having a great run D with Fitz as our QB will lead us to more wins, but we'll come up way short of our goal, winning a SB. People can say that a great D can win with an average QB all they want. It's a lot harder to assemble a truley great defense that can win a SB with an average qb than it is to get a great QB and put together a good defense. With the defensive pieces we currently have, it's gonna take a LOT to make our defense good enough to win with Fitz behind the center. Landing a great QB takes 1 good pick, good coaching and hard work. Building a great defense out of what we have is a long hard road. Say I'm pessimistic, but I'm rational. We haven't been a contender since Kelly retired, it's time we get a good QB. At that point maybe a FA worth a dam will sign with us. At this point, the only way to build a great d is through the draft, and there's a lot of luck involved there. The only way we can currently sign an impact defensive player through FA is by over paying because our future isn't very bright with Fitz as our franchise QB. Add a QB with some moxy and talent, and we have a better chance to lure an impact defensive player. Players want to win, and teams with good QBs have a better chance to win than a team with an average QB, defense or not. That's how I see. Feel free to see it differently, but no one will convince me otherwise.

Newton? or do you have someone else in mind?

Maybe newton, maybe Gabbert. Maybe a qb later in the draft. I have no clue if they will succeed, but if nix and chan think they can, by ALL means, I would take them over any defensive player in this draft any day of the week. I'm not a professional scout, I just watch it passionately. I think both look like they could he great qBs, but at the same time, they could both be bust city. I'm glad I'm not the one making the pick.

This team is a few years away from a SB win and that's the only goal we should have in mind. Whether it's this years draft, FA , or next years draft or FA or even 2 years from now, we need a QB that can lead us to a SB, not one that will be carried there by our defense.

We are mostly talking about what to do first or this offseason.

Because we need so much including more exp. we probably should be going bpa and most likely will. The argument in regard to Franchise qb or defense wins game really does not apply yet. We need to balance up our skill levels on both sides and i feel the defense to be lagging behind and needs a good shot or 4 in the arm. This is my first year really focused on the Bills and i am thrilled to be as prepared as i can be for the draft days.

If i was Buddy fo a day i would crumble under the pressure but i dont think we will be dissapointed this time around.

Maybe newton, maybe Gabbert. Maybe a qb later in the draft. I have no clue if they will succeed, but if nix and chan think they can, by ALL means, I would take them over any defensive player in this draft any day of the week. I'm not a professional scout, I just watch it passionately. I think both look like they could he great qBs, but at the same time, they could both be bust city. I'm glad I'm not the one making the pick.

This team is a few years away from a SB win and that's the only goal we should have in mind. Whether it's this years draft, FA , or next years draft or FA or even 2 years from now, we need a QB that can lead us to a SB, not one that will be carried there by our defense.

Taking a franchise QB is like taking a spouse, you will live with the decision for years. If an Aaron Maybin or John McCargo busts, you just don't play him. It doesn't work that way with a first round QB, and mostly for QB's taken in the 2nd. They are going to get at least a year and a half of playing time, no matter how bad they are.

How many times over the past 5-6 years have we heard "we have to see what this kid can do" in relation to Losman, or "he's still young, in relation to Edwards".

Not saying you don't look for a franchise QB, not at all, but taking one just for the sake of taking one is...a coach and a GM killing move. The 49ers went through 2 GM's and at least 2 coaches with Alex Smith. And hell, they didn't even want to take him, but couldn't trade out of the 1st pick. It was a classic case of taking a QB for the sake of taking one.

Roll the dice with Newton? Dunno. They're putting in their time studying him. If they don't take him, it won't be because they didn't want him.

Gabbert- not even the best QB in the Big 12 last year, questionable as to whether he was in the top 3 in the Big 12. The production has never matched the talent. That, together with his less than 50% completion % on 3rd down, and less than 50% completion percentage against a blitz should be red flags. That's not something Mayock or Casserly brings up. Personally, he seems to be as much of a product of the NFLN as anything.

Could he? Sure, physically he's there.

The others - taking a 2nd round QB historically has pretty long odds of being a franchise guy. The Fins spent every 2nd round pick in the last decade, I think, looking for one. They're still looking.

I agree with Chan Gailey, there probably IS a franchise QB in this draft. More than likely, someone is going to overcome their red flags. Will Mallett overcome his issues? Will Locker suddenly become accurate? Will Ponder be able to read a blitz? (He was horrible against Oklahoma). Good questions.

I think everyone knows a good franchise QB is essential (or at least very close to essential). But it isn't a matter of running down to the Home Depot and just picking one up.

If one isn't there, one isn't there.

They're putting in their time looking for one, I don't doubt that. but I really hope they don't take someone they don't like, just for the heck of it.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic myself!! If I'm not mistaken, most of the talent the Chargers have is due to Buddy. I really believe they have a solid game plan. However, if they (Buddy & co.) can upgrade it (trading down for more picks) I hope they do. D talent all through the draft... very optimistic!!!