Help; My dog BILL peed in his bed.

I thought dogs didnt do that. What the hell? He's done that 3 days in a row. I bought a new bed yesterday just in case to get the pee scent away from the old bed, but he did it on the new bed anyway!

Details: He's 7 months old. He was nuttered last month. He's house trained already. (or has been the last 3-4 months. lol) He had never peed in his bed before. He got a doggie door installed saturday. (this may be relevant somehow)

Any advice?

Last thing and very important. My wife wants to kick his ass out of the house. From indoor dog to outdoor dog.

And you are taking him out/walking him regularly? Its crucial to ingrain a routine into pups when they are young. Consistently taking them out at the same times everyday will help prevent accidents in the house.

If you are leaving it up to the 7 month old dog to figure out/rely on the doggie door, then that is the problem.

If you're taking him out at least 4 times a day, then there is a different issue.

Edit: Wow, amazing story :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDankenstein

And you are taking him out/walking him regularly? Its crucial to ingrain a routine into pups when they are young. Consistently taking them out at the same times everyday will help prevent accidents in the house.

If you are leaving it up to the 7 month old dog to figure out/rely on the doggie door, then that is the problem.

If you're taking him out at least 4 times a day, then there is a different issue.

What he said.

Edit: Wow, amazing story :thumbsup:

i like the consistency plan. but why all of a sudden? he was fine for many months. im doing the same thing.

What he said.

what he said.. doesnt count. i need your opinion.

j/k

i like the consistency plan. but why all of a sudden? he was fine for many months. im doing the same thing.

Tough to say from being so far removed. Id have to see his behavior (and your behavior) over a couple of days to tell if there is anything else factoring in besides you guys relying on the doggie door for the past 3 days.

I'm guessing this is owner error (no offense).

Start taking him out on a consistent schedule. If you want him to use his doggie door, then take him out into the yard. But he is most likely waiting for your permission to go out, or waiting for you to train him on the doggie door. And it takes more than one-time training. Work with him on coming in and out everyday for a couple weeks. You have to "Ingrain Habits" into the dogs. Cant just show them once and figure they "get" it.

Routine and Consistency. The two most important parts of raising a puppy.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Tough to say from being so far removed. Id have to see his behavior (and your behavior) over a couple of days to tell if there is anything else factoring in besides you guys relying on the doggie door for the past 3 days.

I'm guessing this is owner error (no offense).

Start taking him out on a consistent schedule. If you want him to use his doggie door, then take him out into the yard. But he is most likely waiting for your permission to go out, or waiting for you to train him on the doggie door. And it takes more than one-time training. Work with him on coming in and out everyday for a couple weeks. You have to "Ingrain Habits" into the dogs. Cant just show them once and figure they "get" it.

Routine and Consistency. The two most important parts of raising a puppy.

no offense taken.

but about the fact that they dont pee in their bed? i really thought they were not supposed to do that. that's why kennel training/sleeping is so popular. my dog doesnt sleep in a kennel.

no offense taken.

but about the fact that they dont pee in their bed? i really thought they were not supposed to do that. that's why kennel training/sleeping is so popular. my dog doesnt sleep in a kennel.

Close, but incorrect. They should not defecate on their beds or in their crates. They'll pee anywhere, especially on soft, cushy things like beds.

The peeing on the bed is not a direct indication something is wrong. It's fairly normal. Now, Im not saying theres "definitely not" something else going on, but if your dog is acting normally besides this, then I wouldnt worry that he is sick or anything.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Close, but incorrect. They should not defecate on their beds or in their crates. They'll pee anywhere, especially on soft, cushy things like beds.

The peeing on the bed is not a direct indication something is wrong. It's fairly normal. Now, Im not saying theres "definitely not" something else going on, but if your dog is acting normally besides this, then I wouldnt worry that he is sick or anything.

nice reply. thanks for helping.

he's super normal. i'll work with his little ass some more.

the weather in so cal is beautiful right now, so walking him at night will not be a prob.

I thought dogs didnt do that. What the hell? He's done that 3 days in a row. I bought a new bed yesterday just in case to get the pee scent away from the old bed, but he did it on the new bed anyway!

Details: He's 7 months old. He was nuttered last month. He's house trained already. (or has been the last 3-4 months. lol) He had never peed in his bed before. He got a doggie door installed saturday. (this may be relevant somehow)

Any advice?

Last thing and very important. My wife wants to kick his ass out of the house. From indoor dog to outdoor dog.

[/quote

Give the vet a call and take him in for a check up. Would it help to put a favorite blanket or towell

in his bed too?

Did you recently change his feed? I remember giving my dog some plastic-like moist treats wrapped in cellophane bags that gave him a urinary tract problem. Nasty stuff. He loved it, but we stopped giving him that crap and he got better. Take him to the vet.

I have a female Lab that started doing this a few years ago. My vet said that female spayed dogs sometimes do this. He suggested we give her two tablets of Proin a day. It's a prescription, but I buy them at Pet Meds. I've never had a problem since. Bottom line- it's not an uncommon problem. My son's dog had the same problem and his vet also recommended Proin.

Sometimes young dogs pee their beds because they're insecure. Others pee when they sleep because they have a urinary tract infection or can't hold it. You mentioned he was recently neutered - perhaps that's a trigger and he's got some discomfort. At his age he's on the very edge of bladder control anyway.

You didn't mention when he's doing it or if his bed is in a crate. Are you at home when it's happening or is he by himself?

Give the vet a call and take him in for a check up. Would it help to put a favorite blanket or towell

in his bed too?

i dont think this will work. he already sleeps with the same blanket. of course we wash it once a week or once every 2 weeks. well my wife does anyway.

Did you recently change his feed? I remember giving my dog some plastic-like moist treats wrapped in cellophane bags that gave him a urinary tract problem. Nasty stuff. He loved it, but we stopped giving him that crap and he got better. Take him to the vet.

did not change his feed. what is urinary tract problem. is this serious? like requires surgery? if it does i will get pet insurance first. i had the pet insurance for 4 months and all my friends said it was not really worth it. to set aside cash for that purpose was better. so i cancelled the insurance.

I have a female Lab that started doing this a few years ago. My vet said that female spayed dogs sometimes do this. He suggested we give her two tablets of Proin a day. It's a prescription, but I buy them at Pet Meds. I've never had a problem since. Bottom line- it's not an uncommon problem. My son's dog had the same problem and his vet also recommended Proin.

can i buy these over the counter at petmeds? i might as well get them if i can.

Sometimes young dogs pee their beds because they're insecure. Others pee when they sleep because they have a urinary tract infection or can't hold it. You mentioned he was recently neutered - perhaps that's a trigger and he's got some discomfort. At his age he's on the very edge of bladder control anyway.

You didn't mention when he's doing it or if his bed is in a crate. Are you at home when it's happening or is he by himself?

you could be right about the bladder control.

does not sleep in crate.

when it happens, it happens over night.

he didnt do it last night which is good.

weather felt like a cool 65 at 10pm. i walked his ass and i put him to sleep at that time.

maybe the late late night walking is what i needed to do. i was taking him too early probably...

Was he drunk? Ive woke up in a puddle of my own piss a few times.

lol. im going to give him a taste of beer when he turns 21 which is at the age of 2 for us. not drunk. just a taste.

dog formula per yahoo

1 dog year= 10.5 human years for first 2 years

after 1st 2 years, then the usual 7 year rule

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

"can i buy these over the counter at petmeds? i might as well get them if i can."

You'll still have to have a precription from your vet. I'd still take the pup to your vet, tell him you heard about Proin and see what he says. If he thinks that's a solution, he'll write it up, you go to Pet Meds, order the Proin, and give your Vet's info. You'll have it in a couple days. Pet Meds is really good.

It was really interesting. My son's lab started having the problem at about 1 year. His vet suggested Proin. About 1 year later, mine started having a sporatic issue and my vet said it's not uncommon for spayed females . Good luck.

I had an old cat who suddenly began doing that. After the fourth time he went to the loving arms of cat Jesus.

Your dog sounds awfully young. I think you might want to take him to a vet to get an idea what the problem might be.

hell yeah i will take him to the vet if this continues. good suggestion.

"can i buy these over the counter at petmeds? i might as well get them if i can."

You'll still have to have a precription from your vet. I'd still take the pup to your vet, tell him you heard about Proin and see what he says. If he thinks that's a solution, he'll write it up, you go to Pet Meds, order the Proin, and give your Vet's info. You'll have it in a couple days. Pet Meds is really good.

It was really interesting. My son's lab started having the problem at about 1 year. His vet suggested Proin. About 1 year later, mine started having a sporatic issue and my vet said it's not uncommon for spayed females . Good luck.

gottcha. thanks.