Talked with Charlie Weis Yesterday

Thats awesome man, I would have loved to go to something like that. How did you hear about it? Do you coach for a HS team or something?

Yeah I am a defensive coordinator in a town about 45 mins south of Gainesville. There were coaches there from school even from the Carolinas. All schools have an opportunity to go if they wish. Most just don't don't go, which is baffling to me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post and information.

Could it be that the Bills were giving them that play while taking away something else? I suspect that our lack of talent had a lot to do with not being able to stop the play just as much as the scheme. I bet that we did not adjust because we were taking another potential big play. Given we held them to 10 and took the game to OT, I would say that it was a good defensive effort for us overall.

Do you go to Lester's (Clayton Rd in Chesterfield) and watch the games with the St. Louis Bills Backers?

I did used to go to Lesters (awesome place by the way). I moved to back to Florida after after graduating college to teach and coach.

I don't doubt that Weis's claim that the Bills failure to adjust their defense was one of the contributing reasons why their running game was successful in that particular game. But the truth of the matter is the Bills were bad against all teams defending the run. The primary problem with the Bills run defense last year is that their talent level on defense was painfully inadequate. Their lack of talent more than scheme was the reason why the Bills were so bad in their run defense.

Out of curiosity did you notice if Weis was limping very much? He has had issues with his knees and legs and also a serious health issue from what he believes was a botched stomach operation he had for weight control.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/02/14/attorney_calls_coachs_surgeons_negligent/

Yeah he was walking with a noticable limp. He had to periodically sit while speaking with us during his presentation. He's still a big guy. Weis is actually pretty funny too, pointing out to ask John Gruden about the tuck rule after he spoke to us, in a joking matter. After the media asked Gruden about the tuck rule, he wasn't very happy. :oops:

P.S. Thanks for the compliments guys. It's much appreciated!

Edited by STLBILLS15

I did used to go to Lesters (awesome place by the way). I moved to back to Florida after after graduating college to teach and coach.

Yeah he was walking with a noticable limp. He had to periodically sit while speaking with us during his presentation. He's still a big guy. Weis is actually pretty funny too, pointing out to ask John Gruden about the tuck rule after he spoke to us, in a joking matter. After the media asked Gruden about the tuck rule, he wasn't very happy. :oops:

P.S. Thanks for the compliments guys. It's much appreciated!

Thats big time football recruiting territory.

How long have you been a D-Co there?

You've had to have coached some, or coached against some 3,4 and 5 star recruits.

So Weis explains the insance yards as due to Bills stupidity- not adjusting, but were there any comments on Kyle Williams: nine tackles, two sacks, and three tackles for loss for example weren't forthcoming? How did Weis adjust for a great D effort, albeit solo by running the same play 95% of the tine. Or do we take this as more winners are grinners, winners get to write history and we take all that they say then as truth.

So Weis explains the insance yards as due to Bills stupidity- not adjusting, but were there any comments on Kyle Williams: nine tackles, two sacks, and three tackles for loss for example weren't forthcoming? How did Weis adjust for a great D effort, albeit solo by running the same play 95% of the tine. Or do we take this as more winners are grinners, winners get to write history and we take all that they say then as truth.

Basically. Despite the insane number of rushing yards, the Chefs only scored 10 points in 4 quarters and should have lost in OT if not for Lindell choking on his 2nd FG attempt. If anything, their DC should have been crowing about keeping the Bills to 10 points.

Umm, don't think the play was run 95% of the time in the game. I'm assuming that it was run specifically in the 3-wide, TE, single back set that was mentioned. I would think the qb reads the safety and has a run/pass option. Since the Bills did not have enough confidence in their secondary to bring a safety up, KC took what they were given.

Granted the Bills seem to lack talent on D, but how many times have we seen former Bills players go to other teams and play well?

That depends.

If you mean players who were good here and also played well elsewhere (Fat Pat, Winfield, Greer, Fletcher), lots.

If you mean players who stunk here and were good elsewhere, virtually none.

Currently almost all of our players on defense stink, so they probably won't play well elsewhere.

I don't mean to defend Edwards, because his resume is kind of a joke.

Weis did mention Kyle Williams as the "nuisance in the middle who was a player." :thumbsup:

one may argue that george edwards defense that day, while allowing a ton of rushing yards, was pretty successful in allowing 10 points in regulation.

id venture fitz having about 4 yards an attempt and 50% completions probably was the real culprit.

Agreed in the end the D is about as good as the points they give up (Barring ridiculous circumstances) and while some of that was a little lucky they made the stops when they had to that day. The offense is what lost that game for the Bills. Which is usually the opposite of what normally happened last season.

I'm willing to give Edwards some benefit of doubt, but if the Bills land some big time defensive players and the D still gets manhandled the way they did last year, it's George.

I don't think anyone is going to dispute that. I'm just not going to make a judgment on him either way when he's working with the worst front 7 in the NFL.

Edited by Kingfish