Goodell's Letter to Fans

agardin

Dear Owners:

You brought this on yourselves by bidding crazy numbers for top talent, offering to give the players a percentage of the profits, and generally making bad business decisions because you knew that you could rape the fans for all the extra money. However, any cash cow has a limit and the fans are telling you that enough is enough.

Dear Players:

Thinking of insane profits, go back and look at how much player contracts have grown over the years. There is absolutely no rationale that makes it okay. Inflation, the cost of living, etc. do not justify what you guys make in a year. I'm all for you on issues like post-career health insurance and better safety measures (helmets, etc.), but not for more money... or even the money you make now.

Dear Fans:

There is nothing we can do about these issues that will have any significant influence. But eventually, the league will lose its cult-like status as fans just can't afford to support it as much. The profits will decline (even without a recession) and owners and players will have to have more reasonable expectations. I would hate to not be able to watch my favorite players next season, but no matter what happens, there will be football after that and new young stars will emerge and we'll enjoy it. So chill out about this, because it's not the end of football as we know it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Owners:

You brought this on yourselves by bidding crazy numbers for top talent, offering to give the players a percentage of the profits, and generally making bad business decisions because you knew that you could rape the fans for all the extra money. However, any cash cow has a limit and the fans are telling you that enough is enough.

Dear Players:

Thinking of insane profits, go back and look at how much player contracts have grown over the years. There is absolutely no rationale that makes it okay. Inflation, the cost of living, etc. do not justify what you guys make in a year. I'm all for you on issues like post-career health insurance and better safety measures (helmets, etc.), but not for more money... or even the money you make now.

Dear Fans:

There is nothing we can do about these issues that will have any significant influence. But eventually, the league will lose its cult-like status as fans just can't afford to support it as much. The profits will decline (even without a recession) and owners and players will have to have more reasonable expectations. I would hate to not be able to watch my favorite players next season, but no matter what happens, there will be football after that and new young stars will emerge and we'll enjoy it. So chill out about this, because it's not the end of football as we know it.

Best post in the thread. I am sure, even if they don't know it, this echos how most people feel.

Dear Owners:

Dear Players:

Dear Fans:

This post should be highlighted and pinned. Post of the year, and best post about the CBA/labor situation i've aeen.