DIYer's - advice needed

BuffaloBud

I've been chasing a leaky toilet seal for a couple of months now. The leak will appear and go away on what seems like its own accord. Leak is not a large amount - just enough to be a pain in the arse. No pun intended. The bowl is tight to the floor - I've re-tightened the flange bolts numerous times. I'm concerned that I might break the bowl. Bowl sits on a ceramic tile floor - flange sits at the surface of the bottom of the tile.

Someone at work suggested using 2 wax rings stacked on top of each other. Any other great thoughts, suggestions, tips?

And, I'm sure that I will have a number of smart-alecky comments in this as well. If I don't, I will be surprised.

Two wax rings is the likely solution. If tile floor was added after the toilet was originally plumbed it is likley causing it to sit too high to properly seal. The difficulty with two rings may be getting them to "squash down" enough for the bolts to reach through. While a very sticky mess - wear latex gloves - you can trim one to help with this.

I've been chasing a leaky toilet seal for a couple of months now. The leak will appear and go away on what seems like its own accord. Leak is not a large amount - just enough to be a pain in the arse. No pun intended. The bowl is tight to the floor - I've re-tightened the flange bolts numerous times. I'm concerned that I might break the bowl. Bowl sits on a ceramic tile floor - flange sits at the surface of the bottom of the tile.

Someone at work suggested using 2 wax rings stacked on top of each other. Any other great thoughts, suggestions, tips?

And, I'm sure that I will have a number of smart-alecky comments in this as well. If I don't, I will be surprised.

Two wax rings is one solution, I think they may have an expanded or fatter wax ring for this application as well.

Another more complex route would be to see if you could extend the flange 1/4 inch. This would entail removing the existing flange and replacing it with an extended one. With old cast iron or galvanized, that can be a real pain.

I would try the extended or doubled up wax ring first, then attempt the new flange if that fails. check with the guys at home depot. I get some of my best tips from these guys at HD. Many of them are semi retired plumbers, electrician, carpenters who are very helpful.

I don't want you to be surprised...

So try flushing a tennis ball down the toilet and see what happens.

There's one for the smart-aleck column.

Two wax rings is the likely solution.

Two wax rings is one solution, I think they may have an expanded or fatter wax ring for this application as well.

check with the guys at home depot. I get some of my best tips from these guys at HD.

And 2 for the helpful column.

And 2 for the helpful column.

Buy 2 rings, one with the flange and one just the ring (HD sells both varieties, Lowes probably too). Put the flange ring on first, set the second ring directly on top and then install the toilet.

Been there, done that. This was my last resort before calling a plumber.

Another more complex route would be to see if you could extend the flange 1/4 inch. This would entail removing the existing flange and replacing it with an extended one. With old cast iron or galvanized, that can be a real pain.

I've seen extensions that can be added onto an existing flange without removing the old one. Can't remember if it was in a store or catalog or online though.

I would try the extended or doubled up wax ring first, then attempt the new flange if that fails. check with the guys at home depot. I get some of my best tips from these guys at HD. Many of them are semi retired plumbers, electrician, carpenters who are very helpful.

If you have a newer house and your closet flange is made of PVC, I think they even sell rubber gasket sealers to be used instead of the wax ring. I've never used one, but it might be less messy for you.