Is Justin Houston undervalued?

Quinn is rated a top ten maybe top 5 overall player while Justin Houston is rated end the first round beginning of the second round- except for an inch of height I think Houston equals or surpasses Quinn in most physical traits.

The Sportingnews' review of Justin Houston isn't very complementary. It describes

him as a tremendous athlete, but raw and lazy. If that is a fair assessment of

Houston, then I wouldn't spend a 2nd round pick on him.

The Bills are building a team with dedicated, try-hard guys including Eric Wood,

Levitre, Kyle Williams etc. They are trying to avoid the elite athletes who don't

work.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2011/players/10465.html

The Sportingnews' review of Justin Houston isn't very complementary. It describes

The Bills are building a team with dedicated, try-hard guys including Eric Wood,

Levitre, Kyle Williams etc. They are trying to avoid the elite athletes who don't

work.

Dang, thats a rough report. I dunno. Ive been to a bunch of UGA games the last few years and I remember Houston making plays. I dont necessarily remember ever going "Dammit Houston!" for him blowing a play, but I admit I dont follow as closely as say, a Bills game/team.

Here's another complete report. He has good production over 3 years. He has many accolades. He has a year in the 3-4 already. I'd like him as a Bill. Let Wanny coach him.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69063&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

Dang, thats a rough report. I dunno. Ive been to a bunch of UGA games the last few years and I remember Houston making plays. I dont necessarily remember ever going "Dammit Houston!" for him blowing a play, but I admit I dont follow as closely as say, a Bills game/team.

Here's another complete report. He has good production over 3 years. He has many accolades. He has a year in the 3-4 already. I'd like him as a Bill. Let Wanny coach him.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69063&draftyear=2012&genpos=OLB

There will be different opinions about every player. If there is even a hint of him being lazy

when the Bills investigate him throughly, then they should definitely stay away. They may find

that this report is unfounded, in which case, great.

I respect Russ Lande's opinion, but he's not the best evaluater of talent especially when it comes to pass rushers. He seems to fall in love with those smaller, faster pass rushers, that are often not physical enough for the pros. Last year he was a real big fan of sergio kindle and ricky sapp. Neither went as high as he projected. If he's lazy it is a concern, but on the field he looked good to me. By the way, I haven't checked, but my guess is Lande loves Von Miller.

work.

I am going to put my interpretation on their review:

Weaknesses: Is a great athlete but raw football player and needs to be more consistent with his effort. I never saw any effort issues with him, but I coulda missed it. Does not dip shoulders well to turn the corner. Agreed but I still think he is a great rusher. Doesn't always rush the quarterback aggressively and the offensive tackle gets to him. False Tends to block upright and gets taken out of the play. When does a LB block? Can hesitate on inside run, leading to a missed tackle of the running back. Translation: Justin Houston plays good team defense. an OLB in a 3-4 has to keep his contain and force the ball carrier back inside so the MLB can make the tackle. He is slow playing anything to the inside as he should. **this is the main problem that has plagued the Bills D ever since Takeo left. This is a plus not a weakness for Houston Does not hustle in pursuit and stops trying when the play gets away from him. SO what? The play is away from him... I want him to stop sprinting and save his energy for the next play. I dont expect one player to make every signle play.

Bottom line: Houston has rare initial quickness, I dont really see the quickness. He time's the snap well which is where this comes from, but he doesnt have great quickness. but he's so lazy his value has dropped. He has the physical talent to be a future Pro Bowl player, and if he finds some passion, he'll fly up draft boards. However, Houston will struggle to be a consistent starter in the NFL because of his lack of effort. Again I dont see the laziness. He deffinately shows more effort on backside pursuit than Von Miller and thats not a knock on him that anyone talks about. Houston reminds me of Lamarr Woodley actaully. He may even project more in ILB because of his "brute force, head on" style of pass rushing, if that makes any sense

Edited by Thoner7

I think pre-draft players that are good fits for 3-4 OLB are often undervalued by the draft publications etc. However once the actual draft comes, the supply of players with his size/skillset is so low, and the demand for players like him is so high with the increasing number of teams moving to the 3-4, that they often end up going much higher than is expected. Examples of this are Demarcus Ware in 2005, Anthony Spencer in 2007, Vernon Gholston in 2008, or Larry English in 2009. I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken in the late teens.

I put the least amount of stock in the sporting news' draft coverage. Every year they seem to be the least informed. Example, who they rate as the top cb.

I like the Sportingnews' Russ Lande because he is willing to state his opinions about

players rather than just rate someone high or low because everyone else rates them that

way. Is he always right? Of course not (and neither is anyone else including NFL scouts).

Lande has a little more credibility (at least in my opinion) than most because he has

experience working as an NFL scout. My favorite sources of draft information are Lande's

GM Jr draft guide, ProFootball Weekly's draft guide (Nolan Nawrocki) and Mike Mayock

on NFL Network.

Same here...I live even closer to Athens than you probably do and saw most of the UGA games (on tv). J.Houston is a solid player on a VERY average, unspectacular UGA defense. I would have no problem with the Bills picking him up with our 2nd round pick.