Steve Bridges Obama impersonation

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, he looks a lot like Obama, but the blackface is probably a bit tasteless.

Hold on a second. Was the black face done up in a demeaning fashion as if auditioning for the Christy Minstrels, where the entire group is targeted? Or did it only make him a close proximity of a specific person that he is lampooning?

At a certain point reasonable people can make that distinction.

Hold on a second. Was the black face done up in a demeaning fashion as if auditioning for the Christy Minstrels, where the entire group is targeted? Or did it only make him a close proximity of a specific person that he is lampooning?

No they cant....come on.

All I said was that it's a bit tasteless. Of course it's a double-standard, but I don't think you can look at it a vacuum. Just my opinion.

All I said was that it's a bit tasteless. Of course it's a double-standard, but I don't think you can look at it a vacuum. Just my opinion.

It's tasteless to you, because you've been conditioned to think that any lampooning of a black man by a white man, no matter what the circumstance or context is in bad taste.

This is not a vacuum, but a specific instance of a satire of a specific person who happens to be the President. Have we reached the level where perceived societal taboos trump free speech?

It's tasteless to you, because you've been conditioned to think that any lampooning of a black man by a white man, no matter what the circumstance or context is in bad taste.

This is not a vacuum, but a specific instance of a satire of a specific person who happens to be the President. Have we reached the level where perceived societal taboos trump free speech?

I think all Gene is suggesting is that Bridges could have avoided these accusations if he simply impersonated the half of Obama that is white.

I think all Gene is suggesting is that Bridges could have avoided these accusations if he simply impersonated the half of Obama that is white.

How does one do that? Make yourself like Frank Gorshin in Star Trek?

Or Robert Downey Jr's blackface in Tropic Thunder?

Not sure if you remember, but just before Tropic Thunder was released, the left-wing blogosphere went batschitt crazy when they saw some images of Downey in blackface, and started trashing the director, accusing him of doing this because he refused to hire black actors.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Marketing genius.

Not sure if you remember, but just before Tropic Thunder was released, the left-wing blogosphere went batschitt crazy when they saw some images of Downey in blackface, and started trashing the director, accusing him of doing this because he refused to hire black actors.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Marketing genius.

But you know who got the point of the satire? The black community, who raved over his performance.

Hook, line, sinker indeed.

No, I don't really care enough to argue too much, but there is a history to the general comedic device that is clearly offensive. To me, this guy was just trying to look authentic as Obama, as opposed to trying to meet a stereotype, and that makes a big difference. I'm not black though, and don't really have strong feelings about it either way. I can see why someone might be offended, but I certainly understand the importance free speech.

But you know who got the point of the satire? The black community, who raved over his performance.

Hook, line, sinker indeed.

IMO, Downey was really funny playing that part. When you're funny, and don't have a particular agenda, you can get away with all kinds of stuff. Just ask South Park.

Unfortunately for this guy, he looked pretty good but wasn't very funny. I think people should be offended by his inability to be humorous more than anything.

And Michael Dorn, who is black, was madeup as a Klingon. Which could get him in trouble, in some Klingon circles.

Don't forget about Andreas Katsulas who was made up to play a Narn. The NAARP is still upset that a human was cast to play a Reptoid.

Yes.

IF this was about 8-10 years ago, but all of this "crying racist" has the remarkable effect of eventually canceling itself out.

See, if this was a few years ago, we wouldn't be using the words "bad taste", we'd be hearing the usual tools call everyone a racist, and then move on to call this comedian a super racist. :rolleyes:

The words have changed, because the tolerance for this nonsense has dissipated.

Fundamentally, prior to to the tools trying to use "racist" as a piss poor political argument, calling someone a racist was done to identify honest to God racism, and because they were doing something unfair. And that's the real word here: fair. Is what this comedian doing fair?

Is it fair....to call this comedian a racist? Oh sorry, using today's code word for racism...bad taste...is this in bad taste?

Edited by OCinBuffalo