The Bills' True Role in Free Agency

WickedGame

Since free agency (assuming it happens this year) is almost upon us, let's clarify what the Bills' role in free agency is.

You'll see lots of "So-and-so could land with the Bills" articles and posts, then you'll see lots of so-and-sos landing elsewhere. That's our job: We're a bargaining chip for players. That's it. Our role is to be the (artificial) "Second Suitor" players use to leverage more money out of the team they intended to sign with all along.

Yes, we'll land a low-level FA or two, but the vast majority of the "Headed to Buffalo?" articles are just smoke and mirrors...mere fabrications.

This is a very similar thread.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/127308-what-are-the-odds-that-the-bills/

It starts with a discussion about Nnamdi Asomugha but is essentially a question as to what degree the Bills participate in free agency.

The free agent situation has worsened in Buffalo. During Marv's first year as GM, Ryan Pickett came in for a visit and ended up going to GB. It seemed like Buffalo had a chance to sign him, but it was really a competition between STL and GB. Flash forward a few years and Buffalo is barely getting players in for free agent visits. DT Jimmy Kennedy was a backup for Minnesota who ultimately remained there, despite playing for a team who'd use him as a backup. He came in for a visit and left without signing. I know Buddy talks about not being a fan of UFA, but when he was Pro Personnel Director in SD they signed a few name guys. I just don't think he has the budget and needs a reason not to be a player.

Losing for 11 years and hiring people like Buddy and Chan are noticed by players and agents alike. There's a very uncertain future with the owner and very little talent on the team. It's no wonder most players use Buffalo as a bargaining chip.

The free agent situation has worsened in Buffalo. During Marv's first year as GM, Ryan Pickett came in for a visit and ended up going to GB. It seemed like Buffalo had a chance to sign him, but it was really a competition between STL and GB. Flash forward a few years and Buffalo is barely getting players in for free agent visits. DT Jimmy Kennedy was a backup for Minnesota who ultimately remained there, despite playing for a team who'd use him as a backup. He came in for a visit and left without signing. I know Buddy talks about not being a fan of UFA, but when he was Pro Personnel Director in SD they signed a few name guys. I just don't think he has the budget and needs a reason not to be a player.

Losing for 11 years and hiring people like Buddy and Chan are noticed by players and agents alike. There's a very uncertain future with the owner and very little talent on the team. It's no wonder most players use Buffalo as a bargaining chip.

Buffalo as a bargaining chip is a really weak argument.

Which team out there actually believes the Bills would make a real offer to any good player they wanted?

The Bills MO after the Donahoe years has been to lightly flirt with grade A free agents, but no touching, no signing. B grade free agents can be flirted with a bit more, but still no touching. C and D free agents are welcome and the Bills will pay more for them tahn any other team will. However, if a C or D free agents visit Buffalo, if they leave without their signature on a contract, the Bills will not give them a second chance.

Since free agency (assuming it happens this year) is almost upon us, let's clarify what the Bills' role in free agency is.

You'll see lots of "So-and-so could land with the Bills" articles and posts, then you'll see lots of so-and-sos landing elsewhere. That's our job: We're a bargaining chip for players. That's it. Our role is to be the (artificial) "Second Suitor" players use to leverage more money out of the team they intended to sign with all along.

Yes, we'll land a low-level FA or two, but the vast majority of the "Headed to Buffalo?" articles are just smoke and mirrors...mere fabrications.

dont completely agree we will get who buddy and whaley really want. i love the signing of edwards last year if we could get players of his talent and character i would be completely happy.

remember buddy builds thru the draft and fills in with free agents which IMO is a very sound philosophy.

one thing we can count on is that we will get @ least one starter once free agency actually starts maybe 2 and that IMO would be great seeing that IMO we will get 3 starters with our first 3 picks and may get a starter from picks 4 thru 7.

I was hoping we'd go out this year and pick up at least one LB in F.A., and one O-lineman, and maybe even a TE. I figured we'd add between three and five F.A.'s this year. And, I still think we will. I just don't know how big of a name they'll be. In some cases that is fine. Like TE, for instance. If we signed a guy like Boss - just as an example - he'd not be a huge name free agent, but he'd still make a big impact. Or a solid, younger ILB who could be counted on in the rotation for the next three years. Or a safety - as I see the Bills are looking at Sanders and Otagwe(?) - who would be big names.

So, I do think we'll see some additions, just not the big names. When I read the transcript of Wilson's interview the other day, I once again noticed how he said something along the lines of: "I know I've made mistakes with this team over the last decade and more, but I think I've made the right moves to rectify those mistakes and to rebuild this team the right way - but it'll take a few more years (2-3) before we're a playoff team, and that's if we get the QB". Now, after hearing that, my heart sunk a little. This old timer might have the patience of a century to work with, but I'm sick of that line, even if it is true now. The Patriots were supposed to be rebuilding that Defense last year, and they ended up looking pretty darn good. I know it has a lot to do with Brady, but there are just some teams that don't ever say, "We've got a few years to go before we're probably ready to compete." That is just about unacceptable to me. That kind of mentality only gives room for allowing failure. And our players have been saturated with that mentality that if we lose - which they just about expect to - they can chalk it up to any of a great number of things. I just hope Gailey and Nix are playing it low-key and are really planning on being able to go toe to toe with anyone this year. You could see Gailey was really trying to win every game last year (even when I was hoping we'd just finish tanked and get the #1 pick), so I guess he, at least, wants to and expects to win.

After having said all that - pardon the rant - I think what we get this year depends on the CBA agreements, the amount of players in the F.A. pool - I think if it is a big pool this year because of last year's alterations, then we will surely take advantage of it and land some upgrades. I'm still holding out for Clabo. Anyway, we will end up with as good of a team as Buddy Nix puts together. It's in his hands this year.

Buffalo as a bargaining chip is a really weak argument.

Which team out there actually believes the Bills would make a real offer to any good player they wanted?

Not sure, perhaps we should ask guys like Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, and Takeo Spikes, who pocketed a combined $100M+ from this team.

Your post proves to me that some people don't really care about fact, and are more interested in griping about things that aren't even true just to hear themselves think aloud.

You can complain about the team's unwillingness to spend on the coaching staff if you want, and that has some validity, but this complaint is not only tired and old, it's completely untrue.

Cheap teams don't dole out $9M/year to Lee Evans, $7M/year to Chris Kelsay, or $8M/year to Aaron Schobel.

Cheap teams don't pay a guy like Shawne Merriman $5M/year when he's barely played in 2 years.

Cheap teams don't throw $7M/year at a guy like Terrence McGee, who wouldn't start for 2/3 of the league.

I'd love to hear your answer to this...

You probably are one of those that think the league, the refs and the networks are all out to get Buffalo. Get over your insecurities. The truth is good players would rather play on a team that is competitive and one that is fighting for a championship. When Buffalo was competitive we landed good FA's. When you are not competitive you get second and third tier FAs and take risks on has beens like Merriman, Owens, Sanders, Fitzpatrick etc. Sometimes they work out, sometimes not. All of this other noise is nonsense.

Not sure, perhaps we should ask guys like Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, and Takeo Spikes, who pocketed a combined $100M+ from this team.

Your post proves to me that some people don't really care about fact, and are more interested in griping about things that aren't even true just to hear themselves think aloud.

You can complain about the team's unwillingness to spend on the coaching staff if you want, and that has some validity, but this complaint is not only tired and old, it's completely untrue.

Cheap teams don't dole out $9M/year to Lee Evans, $7M/year to Chris Kelsay, or $8M/year to Aaron Schobel.

Cheap teams don't pay a guy like Shawne Merriman $5M/year when he's barely played in 2 years.

Cheap teams don't throw $7M/year at a guy like Terrence McGee, who wouldn't start for 2/3 of the league.

me too. I do fault the front office for letting Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield walk though.

Edited by Pete

You probably are one of those that think the league, the refs and the networks are all out to get Buffalo. Get over your insecurities. The truth is good players would rather play on a team that is competitive and one that is fighting for a championship. When Buffalo was competitive we landed good FA's. When you are not competitive you get second and third tier FAs and take risks on has beens like Merriman, Owens, Sanders, Fitzpatrick etc. Sometimes they work out, sometimes not. All of this other noise is nonsense.

I DON'T believe there's a conspiracy against Buffalo. I do, however, players and agents are smart enough to recognize that a team with multiple, well-document needs is perceived as a potential competitive threat to any team interested in signing a player.

You don't hear as much speculation about free agents making a swing through New England, Pittsburgh or Green Bay before settling on Buffalo. It's usually the other way around: They swing through Buffalo, Jacksonville and Oakland on their way to signing with a team almost over the hump.

If they settle on Buffalo, it's more often a destination of last resort.

I agree with you that the key to attracting more free agent talent is to be more competitive. Most players are happy to be the last missing piece for a team on the rise. Nobody wants to be relegated to purgatory in Buffalo. So...ironically...we have to get better before we can get better.

We better hope a few of these recent draft picks emerge as true stars.

Believe me. You'll be disappointed.