The AJ Green dilemma

1billsfan

What if Nick Fairley has been taken, AJ Green is still sitting there at #3 and no one wants to trade into the Bills pick?

This is a major dilemma, for I think that the Bills will certainly rue the day they select marginal talents like Miller, Dareus or whomever over Green.

If this scenario plays out I hope that the Bills select the BPA Green because of the bust (mediocre player) potential of all the other guys we would select over him. We already have a Von Miller type in Moats and we do have an early second round pick where there will certainly be a starting ILB for us.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Nick Fairley has been taken, AJ Green is still sitting there at #3 and no one wants to trade into the Bills pick?

This is a major dilemma, for I think that the Bills will certainly rue the day they select marginal talents like Miller, Dareus or whomever over Green.

If this scenario plays out I hope that the Bills select the BPA Green because of the bust (mediocre player) potential of all the other guys we would select over him. We already have a Von Miller type in Moats and we do have an early second round pick where there will certainly be a starting ILB for us.

Dareus is anything but a marginal talent and we'd be lucky if he were there at #3.

If it goes #1 Fairely; #2 Dareus, I wouldn't hate #3 AJ Green.

Edited by Why So Serious?

My question is if it is between Green and Peterson, are you so hard set on Green that you would ignore the higher level of need that Peterson would fill?

I think you go Peterson in that instance, I think they are typically rated pretty close or the same, with that in mind you'd have to go with the position of greater need. I guess it depends on how the Bills have them ranked.

Dareus is anything but a marginal talent and we'd be lucky if he were there at #3.

If it goes #1 Fairely; #2 Dareus, I wouldn't hate #3 AJ Green.

What's your opinion on Bowers? I dont think he can play OLB, but he has played at a heavier weight his freshman/sophomore year and could perhaps play 3-4 DE. His one big year of output scares me though.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

So everyone other then fairley and green is marginal? rough draft. What if both are off the board? Are we counting on the panthers or broncos to flub and pick a marginal player instead of these two elites? Sounds like we could be really screwed being forced to pay a marginal talent 10m a year.

Or maybe the third best player will actually be really good too. Come on now.

My question is if it is between Green and Peterson, are you so hard set on Green that you would ignore the higher level of need that Peterson would fill?

To me, Green has a much higher BPA rating over Peterson. I actually wouldn't mind the Bills selecting a couple CBs in the fourth.

These would be my targets for the first five picks if we picked Green first...

1. Green

2. DE

3. ILB

4. CB

4. CB

I think you go Peterson in that instance, I think they are typically rated pretty close or the same, with that in mind you'd have to go with the position of greater need. I guess it depends on how the Bills have them ranked.

What's your opinion on Bowers? I dont think he can play OLB, but he has played at a heavier weight his freshman/sophomore year and could perhaps play 3-4 DE.

Bowers is a physical specimen and was able to get to the QB last year.

Bowers has a lot of red flags in my opinion.

#1 He is the Top Recruit in the country and didn't jack until lately

(Touching story about his Dad dying, and basically saying "Son you need to step it up.")

#2 ACC is pretty weak

#3 I watched 2 games and he seems to take some plays off.

The Bills and Denver staff are going to need to grill him interviews, and grill all his college and high school coaches.

The Cool thing is Elway is putting all the interviews out in the open and I'm sure there will be some good Bowers interviews.

So everyone other then fairley and green is marginal? rough draft. What if both are off the board? Are we counting on the panthers or broncos to flub and pick a marginal player instead of these two elites? Sounds like we could be really screwed being forced to pay a marginal talent 10m a year.

Or maybe the third best player will actually be really good too. Come on now.

If you're in charge of selecting players this high in the draft and you're left with the decision to go for need player verses best player/superstar material, then yes you select the superstar player Green over much lesser talents in Dareus and Miller.

I'll say it again, they will rue the day they select one of those guys over Green. My hope is that someone does want to trade with the Bills and give them an extra second rounder.

If you're in charge of selecting players this high in the draft and you're left with the decision to go for need player verses best player/superstar material, then yes you select the superstar player Green over much lesser talents in Dareus and Miller.

I'll say it again, they will rue the day they select one of those guys over Green. My hope is that someone does want to trade with the Bills and give them an extra second rounder.

Agree that need can lead to awful choices- but I can't say that it's nearly the gap you are implying. If it is that gap, why would he be there at 3 even?

If the Bills have Green clearly rated higher than the other prospects on the board, I don't see the dilemma. The Bills offense may have improved a bit this year, but they were still held to less than 20 points in 12 of 16 games this year, including 9 of their last 10. No, you won't win if you can't stop anyone, but you're not going to win if you can't score, either. Add to the fact that Lee Evans...who will be on the wrong side of 30 in a month...had only 37 catches as the team's 2nd leading receiver and I think there's a case to be made for Green.

I'm still in favor of concentrating on the defensive front seven in the first two rounds, but if the Bills think they can add an elite scoring threat at 3, why not take it? Their biggest defensive problem is with the LB corps, anyway, and the place to draft those guys has been in R2 and R3 in recent years.

Agree that need can lead to awful choices- but I can't say that it's nearly the gap you are implying. If it is that gap, why would he be there at 3 even?

I'd be surprised if he isn't taken by either the Panthers or Broncos, but you never know. As it stands now, if one of those teams doesn't select either Fairley or Green, one of them falls and the choice for the Bills should be an easy one.

i like AJ Green, but on THIS bills team, I'd take Dareus/Quinn/Bowers/Fairley all before AJ. Why? Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Calvin Johnson...and detroit is still nowhere to be seen.

Detroit drafts Suh: instantly better.

End of story.

Edited by bobobonators

i like AJ Green, but on THIS bills team, I'd take Dareus/Quinn/Bowers/Fairley all before AJ. Why? Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Calvin Johnson...and detroit is still nowhere to be seen.

End of story.

Just because Detroit picked WR in the first round for three straight years doesn't mean that in 2011, the Bills should pick a much lower ranked defensive player over AJ Green. I see no correlation.

End of story.

Detroit isn't the best example. Turn back the clock a decade and you'll see that from '99-02, they tried...and failed miserably...at building a team around their OL and defensive front 7.

Just because Detroit picked WR in the first round for three straight years doesn't mean that in 2011, the Bills should pick a much lower ranked defensive player over AJ Green. I see no correlation.

That depends on who's doing the ranking. It's not as if AJ Green is ranked 1 and Fairley/dareus/bowers would be ranked 20-25.

I do see a correlation. For a team like the Bills, WR is a luxury pick, much like Spiller was last year, and much like all of those WR's were luxury picks for a team (detroit) who didn't have a defense or o-line (much like the bills of today).

End of story.

Rubbish. Johnson is one of the main reasons they're starting to turn things around. And no defender in this year's draft has shown any where near the promise Suh did in college. Green is the Suh of the 2011 draft.

btw, if you think Dline is such a lock as a high pick, what do you say about Patulski, Dokes and McCargo?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If the Bills take Green this board will explode. We have an opportunity to get a blue Chip player at a position of need and we are going to take a wide out when undrafted free agents Rosevelt and Nelson and 7th round pick Stevie Johnson and Roscoe all proved capable this year?

He will most likely be a very good player in this league...for the Bengals not the Bills

Detroit isn't the best example. Turn back the clock a decade and you'll see that from '99-02, they tried...and failed miserably...at building a team around their OL and defensive front 7.

it was an example, nothin is ever an absolute either way..i realize that. what set the Lions back 10 years ultimately was drafting Harrington in 2002 or 2001..whenever it was, culminated by drating useless WR's.