Troupe B

Sorry - the math of that does NOT add up.

A team gets 21 players (on average) in the first 3 rounds over 7 years - a long duration for an NFL career.

It's great if you can fill starting spots with deeper picks - but if your picks 1-3 aren't filling those slots, you made the wrong picks - period. You can't be using 2nd-round picks on career backup players - there aren't enough picks to go around for that.

You cannot be replacing your second round picks with new picks at the same position the very next year and not call the 2nd rounder a disappointment. Put another way - they spent a good pick on Troupe to fill a need. He either fills it at some point long before his rookie contract is over, or they whiffed on the pick.

If Stroud is gone, you have Dareus, Edwards, Williams, Troup, and Carrington in a DL rotation. Having that kind of depth ensures that your DL can go full throttle for 60 minutes and never miss a beat. look at how the giants did it with their DLs. They have 5-6 really good ones that continually rotate.

DLs need to rotate. You can't simply have 2 decent to good ones and expect them to play the game. And you can never go wrong with adding more DL talent. Adding a premier talent doesn't mean that the previous 2 picks were "bad" picks. It means that you are stockpiling talent.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Stroud is gone, you have Dareus, Edwards, Williams, Troup, and Carrington in a DL rotation. Having that kind of depth ensures that your DL can go full throttle for 60 minutes and never miss a beat. look at how the giants did it with their DLs. They have 5-6 really good ones that continually rotate.

DLs need to rotate. You can't simply have 2 decent to good ones and expect them to play the game. And you can never go wrong with adding more DL talent. Adding a premier talent doesn't mean that the previous 2 picks were "bad" picks. It means that you are stockpiling talent.

Good post and I have to agree. I'd love to see Dareus on this team. That said, LB, LB, LB must be the mantra. (oh, and one RT as well)

That all sounds great - IF you had an infinite number of draft picks.

As I said the math does not work. You just don't get enough picks that high to be using them on backups when you have to start 22+ players.

Not when it means you aren't using those high picks on starters at numerous other positions of need.

In fact - the approach you've descibed is not unlike what has gotten the Bills where they are today - albeit at other positions.

Henry (a good 2nd) replaced by McGahee replaced by Lynch replaced by Spiller...

That's not depth - it's blown personnel moves. I like Spiller just fine - the problem is that Lynch was good, McGahee was good, and Henry was good. None of them had a good enough OL - because we kept spending the top picks on the next guy to run behind the bad OL taking the handoff from the iffy QB.

You only get 10 1st round picks a decade - and every team is going to have some busts there. 2nd round picks have GOT to be good enough to start.

It really blows my mind that there is a debate about this.

People just get too fixated on the first round, I guess, that they forget the 2nd's and 3rd's need to work out too if you want a good team.?

And btw, the Giants played a 4-3 last I checked. We're playing a 3-4 with the league's worst LB corps.

We need LB's way way way more than DL.

Edited by BobChalmers

That all sounds great - IF you had an infinite number of draft picks.

As I said the math does not work. You just don't get enough picks that high to be using them on backups when you have to start 22+ players.

Nope. Not when it means you aren't using those high picks on starters at numerous other positions of need.

In fact - the approach you've descibed is not unlike what has gotten the Bills where they are today - albeit at other positions.

Henry (a good 2nd) replaced by McGahee replaced by Lynch replaced by Spiller...

That's not depth - it's blown personnel moves. I like Spiller just fine - the problem is that Lynch was good, McGahee was good, and Henry was good. None of them had a good enough OL - because we kept spending the top picks on the next guy to run behind the bad OL taking the handoff from the iffy QB.

You only get 10 1st round picks a decade - and every team is going to have some busts there. 2nd round picks have GOT to be good enough to start.

It really blows my mind that there is a debate about this.

People just get too fixated on the first round, I guess, that they forget the 2nd's and 3rd's need to work out too if you want a good team.?

And btw, the Giants played a 4-3 last I checked. We're playing a 3-4 with the league's worst LB corps.

We need LB's way way way more than DL.

You said it yourself...people forget the second and third rounds, where there will also be a chance to take some good LBs.

Drafting Dareus at #3 doesn't say that Troup and Carrington suck or are busts. It speaks to the talent of Dareus, and provides a lot of flexibility along the DL. They need to take the best player.