Rob Johnson

JPL7

Hmmm... Of course I don't know for sure anymore than you do but I suspect that that decision was forced on Wade by Ralph Wilson. Whatever his faults, one thing I recall about Wade was that he tended to speak his mind (sometimes unwisely) and I remember that prior to the switch he seemed fairly insistent that Flutie was his QB. My guess is that Wilson thought Johnson was the messiah after his strong performance in the meaningless last game against the colts and demanded he start.

Look, I don't know if it was a smart decision, but I hate the revisionist history on all this. All the received wisdom about "the Colts weren't playing for anyting and liad down" in that last game is BS.

The Bills had been showing an inability to move the ball and score, under Flutie, in the second half of the season, even though they won games because of their D, which was #2 (to the Titans) in the league that season.

The last game, against the Colts, was not "meaningless" to the Colts. They were tied with Jacksonville for the best record in the conference and needed to win that game to assure home field through the playoffs. They played their starters. Johnson tore them to pieces and the Bills looked like a completely letthal offense under him, which they had not done all season.

It still may have been stupid to start Johnson, but it was not incomprehensible, the way the legend seems to have come down through the ages. I just want to set it straight, but it seems like a lost cause.

Dusty Zeigler was his left tackle that day. That offensive line lineup was absurd. Johnson did as well as could be expected against that defense with that supporting cast.

Exactly. I hate how people look at numbers to decide how good/bad a QB performed. I remember Johnson simply gutting it out against a smothering defense. Yes, he was sacked a few times - once for a safety - but he didn't completely lose the game.

It was the Bills' defense that really kept them in the game. I thought Johnson did a fantastic job getting them down to the go-ahead FG. No, he didn't put up Aaron Rodgers-type numbers, but you don't always need to do that to win a game.

Hmmm... Of course I don't know for sure anymore than you do but I suspect that that decision was forced on Wade by Ralph Wilson. Whatever his faults, one thing I recall about Wade was that he tended to speak his mind (sometimes unwisely) and I remember that prior to the switch he seemed fairly insistent that Flutie was his QB. My guess is that Wilson thought Johnson was the messiah after his strong performance in the meaningless last game against the colts and demanded he start.

I remember reading somewhere that after Wade was gone, he stated that RW instructed him to start RJ. Did anybody else read this? Regardless, can we really blame Ralph, Wade, or RJ for that loss? After all, not one of them were on the field to miss a tackle on that kickoff.

Johnson sucked for 58 minutes of the game and played good for one final drive. His sack/fumble was turned into a TD by the Titans offense, plus the Titans D got a safety on him, so that's 9 points Robosack cost the Bills.

Rob Johnson was perfect at coming off the bench and playing great for one game. Johnson could never play two good games back-to-back. Johnson was a career backup, nothing more. From reading an interview with Eric Moulds, it sounded that the decision to start Johnson in the Titans game came from Wilson (to paraphrase) "had something to do with him making 25 million."

All I know is benching Flutie for Johnson to play in the Music City Miracle game probably goes down as one of the worst decisions by Wade Phillips and a Buffalo Bills coach.

Johnson was the pre-Losman.

For awhile there, I didn't think that the Bills would ever get past the "scrambling" QB idea...

I agree that they should have started Flutie and that we would have won handily but the reality is Rob Johnson actually won that game for us. The idiotic decision to kick it short and not cover the whole field was lame.

We have suffered the curse of doug flutie ever since. We have to figure out a way to lift the curse before we can ever get to the playoffs. Some suggestions:

1. Put Flutie on the Wall of Fame

2. Serve Flutie flakes at pre-season camps untile we win a superbowl.

3. Rename the stadium...Dougie's Dugout

4. Draft someone from Boston College every year until we win a superbowl

Johnson sucked for 58 minutes of the game and played good for one final drive. His sack/fumble was turned into a TD by the Titans offense, plus the Titans D got a safety on him, so that's 9 points Robosack cost the Bills.

Rob Johnson was perfect at coming off the bench and playing great for one game. Johnson could never play two good games back-to-back. Johnson was a career backup, nothing more. From reading an interview with Eric Moulds, it sounded that the decision to start Johnson in the Titans game came from Wilson (to paraphrase) "had something to do with him making 25 million."

Which is probably why Wade stood up to Ralph the next season and refused to fire his buddy the ST coach (stupid, of course, but more out of spite than intelligence).

Wade had to know their best chance to win was with Flutie.