Stevie Johnson

Roc Bronson

I'm not sure but I believe his contract is up this year or next, I know a lot of you guys are up to par with this, any info on his rookie contract status? We need to resign this kid, but the Bills have be known to let guys like Stevie J walk. Sorry if this was posted already..

I'm not sure but I believe his contract is up this year or next, I know a lot of you guys are up to par with this, any info on his rookie contract status? We need to resign this kid, but the Bills have be known to let guys like Stevie J walk. Sorry if this was posted already..

He's signed only through the end of this season, 2011. A free agent to be in 2012. If this were any other year, the team would likely be trying to sign him now but he can't get a huge raise (like what is happening with Poz) because of the labor dispute. So negotiations, at least officially, will have to be on hold. He only makes $500,000 this season.

I'd be curious to know if teams are negotiating with agents behind the scenes on contracts for 2012 and beyond. One would think they would, but the union probably doesn't want its players or their agents talking to the teams at all with no CBA so perhaps as a sign of unity, few if any players are doing so.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

I really don`t know . But old stone hands Stevie ,should have some kind of clause in it for dropped balls.He scares me to death throwing him the ball. With the game on the line.

That is why in my opinion he is not a true number one yet and there is no way we should let Lee go. Lee made Stevie who he is and also helped Roscoe out too and Nelson for that matter, although Nelson did most of his damage when Lee was out. Stevie to me was too much of a showboat instead of a reciever first. Yes a lot of recievers in the league are show boats (Johnson, Owens, Horn) but they weren't when they first got in the league they proved something first. I just wish Stevie although at times entertaining, would just concentrate on the game plan and execution instead of thinking about his celabration. There is no way he should have dropped that many balls.

That is why in my opinion he is not a true number one yet and there is no way we should let Lee go. Lee made Stevie who he is and also helped Roscoe out too and Nelson for that matter, although Nelson did most of his damage when Lee was out. Stevie to me was too much of a showboat instead of a reciever first. Yes a lot of recievers in the league are show boats (Johnson, Owens, Horn) but they weren't when they first got in the league they proved something first. I just wish Stevie although at times entertaining, would just concentrate on the game plan and execution instead of thinking about his celabration. There is no way he should have dropped that many balls.

I also think we should wait til the middle of next year to negotiate a new deal to see if he drops balls again. I think Nelson is just as good and more reliable.

He's signed through 2011 season.

While Johnson will be thinking of many things after Sunday’s finale, he alleges a new contract extension won’t be one of them.

“It’s only one year that I’ve done this,” Johnson said..” There are guys that have done it two, three maybe four years before they even got extensions or contracts or stuff like that. It’s only one year.”

Johnson is saying all the right things when talking about a new deal, but other factors suggest Nix may want to get the ball started sometime soon. Johnson is completing the third of a four-year rookie deal signed in 2008 and his base salary this season was just $470,000.

Next year his salary takes an ever-so modest bump to $550,000 and then he’s scheduled to become a free agent in 2012. Depending on the next CBA deal, that could easily make him unrestricted.

Whether fans like it or not, the organization has a habit of locking up players long-term they feel make up the core of the team. They’ve done it with Chris Kelsay, Kyle Williams and Terrence McGee in recent years.. and would be smart to extend Johnson while the going is still good. If Johnson’s 2011 is like the past several months, the price of poker at One Bills Drive will drastically go up.

Johnson is resolute that any potential contract stuff won’t take from his focus this winter. He simply wants to get better.

“I’ll just continue doing the same thing that I’ve done,” Johnson said.” The only thing about this offseason is I know what I did this year so I can build off that. I know where I could’ve had more yards, more catches, more touchdowns. I’ll be able to work on certain things and come back next year still knowing that what I did last year, I can build on it, I know I left some things out there. That will be something I can help out with as far as this year.”

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/stevie-johnson-contract/

He would be a Restricted Free Agent, right?

Well, it all depends on the CBA, but under the old rules, he'd have four years of experience in 2011, and be unrestricted (08-09-10-11). Under the special rules last year, he'd still be restricted, since he would have needed six. I'd be surprised if the deal keeps the extended RFA period, so I think we have to go forward assuming that Stevie will be on the market in 2011 without an extension.

That said, if he was unrestricted this year, what do you think would be fair pay for him? $5M per season?