So our coaching staff...

cage

I know this much, despite the fact that the Dolphins under Dave W were better than the Bills, I always liked that they had Wannstedt because he clearly is not the kind of HC that will win a championship.

The NFL was becoming a more complicated league.

Teams like the Patriots and Steelers were outscheming opponents defensively and the Colts had Peyton Manning, a QB who could dissect a defense like no QB who has ever played the game. These teams would DOMINATE the decade.

Wannstedt is your basic "give me great talent and I'll give you an outstanding D" defensive coordinator. Basic 4-3, line them up and play DC on par as a coordinator with a guy like Ted Cottrell.

Players like him and he's a good motivator....but as far and X's and O's he's never been confused with the masters of the gameplan like BB, LeBeau, Capers, Ryan, Greggo, Mike Nolan, etc..

What he brings here, I'm not sure. I am glad they did something, because George Edwards was outclassed this past season. The Bills did not have great talent, but they could have played MUCH better. I thought Edwards work as a coordinator was AWFUL.

Perhaps Wannstedt's biggest contribution might be as a bridge between Gailey and the rest of the team. One of my concerns with Gailey was that he lacked some of the people skills needed to inspire players over the long haul.

He's a smart and resourceful coach but at his previous stops the players didn't love playing for him. They also had little reason to respect him because he didn't win much.

A good example was his stay in Dallas. People often mention that Jerry Jones says he should have never fired Chan. But more interesting to me is that when he was there, Troy Aikman did not like Chan. But in retrospect, he now realizes that Gailey was doing what he had to do to put Dallas in position to win, something he apparently realized when Chan was replaced by a far inferior coach in Dave Campo and the team bottomed out.

I just get the sense the Chan is one of those guys who knows what he's doing, but isn't that great at getting everyone to buy into the plan. This would explain his mixed results at GT too. As a tactician he was clearly the class of the ACC when he was there, but his results were not special. Perhaps Dave W's biggest contribution will be getting the team on board and keeping them there.

Good take Bado :thumbsup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article319796.ece

WOW, that just hit home... does that bother anyone??? Someone help me feel better about this...

He was the defensive coordinator of the Dallas SuperBowl team that wiped the floor with the Bills, and out of his 12 years as a head coach or DC in the NFL his defense was in the top 12 11 times....nuff said.

Edited by matter2003

Best player available is never a luxury. I know you are really excited about the 2012-2014 freddie and marshawn, but I will take CJ. Or were you going all in on the 2010 season and not looking for the most useful contribution over five or six years? And just for the record for future reference, tell me who you wanted? Who is the Ngata in this mix?

Tell me, which one of these moves are you applauding the most? The decision to use our #1 pick on a luxury pick ... a right reserved for playoff teams.

I know this much, despite the fact that the Dolphins under Dave W were better than the Bills, I always liked that they had Wannstedt because he clearly is not the kind of HC that will win a championship.

The NFL was becoming a more complicated league.

Teams like the Patriots and Steelers were outscheming opponents defensively and the Colts had Peyton Manning, a QB who could dissect a defense like no QB who has ever played the game. These teams would DOMINATE the decade.

Wannstedt is your basic "give me great talent and I'll give you an outstanding D" defensive coordinator. Basic 4-3, line them up and play DC on par as a coordinator with a guy like Ted Cottrell.

Players like him and he's a good motivator....but as far and X's and O's he's never been confused with the masters of the gameplan like BB, LeBeau, Capers, Ryan, Greggo, Mike Nolan, etc..

What he brings here, I'm not sure. I am glad they did something, because George Edwards was outclassed this past season. The Bills did not have great talent, but they could have played MUCH better. I thought Edwards work as a coordinator was AWFUL.

Perhaps Wannstedt's biggest contribution might be as a bridge between Gailey and the rest of the team. One of my concerns with Gailey was that he lacked some of the people skills needed to inspire players over the long haul.

I like this breakdown too. Wanndsteadt is not going to win us any games by outwitting the other guy but at least he is a legit "nfl guy" who should prevent us from losing any. I mean he basically had the same kinds of years that Jimmy Johnson did, only with Jay Fiedler as his QB.