The Defensive Coordinator Carousel

We know that there've been quite a few Defensive Coordinator positions filled in the last week.

After being fired by the Eagles, Sean McDermott has landed on his feet with the Carolina Panthers. Mike Singletary is close to joining Leslie Frazier's Vikings staff as the linebackers coach. The Cowboys have hired Rob Ryan as their DC. Harbaugh and the Niners have hired Vic Fangio. Greg Manusky is the new DC in San Diego.

We know that Dave Wannstedt spoke with the Bills and will speak with the Browns. We also know that Dick Jauron has been given permission to speak with the Browns.

As far as we know, no one has spoken with Eric Mangini.

And now Jim Mora Jr. has entered the fray. He's reportedly close to signing as Denver's DC although there's been some noise that the Eagles are interested in talking to him. And oddly enough, Mora worked for Cleveland Czar, Mike Holmgren in Seattle so he might still be in play in Cleveland as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/17/mora-could-be-joining-john-fox-in-denve/

It should be fun to see where everyone lands.

It should be fun to see where everyone lands.

I only care about who ends up in Buffalo, and to a smaller degree who ends up in the AFC East.

It doesn't look to me like the Bills are really in the market for a DC (Wanny as a "consultant", whatever the !@#$ that means, doesn't count).

Edited by CodeMonkey

I wish the Bills would make a splash and get someone. Edwards showed nothing this year. His defense only looked acceptable against the little sisters of the poor offenses. Granted the talent level was low, but you should be able to "coach 'em up" enought to stop something. Good teams ran when they wanted and passed when they wanted against us -- they just didn't need to pass much.

I only care about who ends up in Buffalo, and to a smaller degree who ends up in the AFC East.

It doesn't look to me like the Bills are really in the market for a DC (Wanny as a "consultant", whatever the !@#$ that means, doesn't count).

I agree that it doesn't appear they're in the market for a DC ... but they should be. Mangini ... as much as I've never really cared for him ... will get us closer to beating the Patriots.

When Lovie Smith interviewed for the Bears HC job, they had one big question ... can you beat the Packers?

That's how we need to go about things. I think Chan is great and I'm glad to have him. But we had the worst defense in football. Need a change. Need to beat AFC East opponents ... especially the Pats. And Mangini knows how to beat AFC East opponents.

I absolutely agree. I am tired of the "patience" of our Front Office. Giving Edwards another year to coach, to see if he can do better, is an insult to the fan base unless there is the perception by Nix and Gailey that Edwards is the next Defensive Guru in the NFL. But, if that were the case, I think our Defense would have been a little more imaginitive last year. And, if that were the case, I don't think we'd of interviewed Wanny.

Mediocrity is the problem around here. Nix and Gailey talk a lot about winning as an attitude. They need to expect to win. Well, as far as I'm concerned, when you are looking to assemble a coaching staff, you go after the very best, and you do what you have to get them. I mean, what is the behind-the-scenes thinking when they're considering the best Defensive coordinators? Wanny/Mangini v.s. what? Pay? Loyalty? Or Edwards. It has to be either they don't want to pay the best, they feel they owe Edwards another year, or they believe Edwards is the best there is to get.

Well, I don't believe they believe he's the best. So, that means our Front Office has settled on a less than ideal DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR - WHO WE NEED TO BE AN A-GAMER TO HAVE A CHANCE TO BEAT THE PATRIOTS, OR TO SUCCEED IN THE PLAYOFFS, because they either don't want to pay the right guy a few extra million - WHICH THEY WILL WASTE ON GUYS LIKE GREEN AND KELSAY, or, they just don't want to harm Edwards career.

This is the stuff that kills this team. They'll waste millions on players that are marginal or worse, but they won't spend the exact same ammount on a coach who'll make an enormous difference.

I don't care if the Bills could have gone back in time and brought in Buddy Ryan (in his prime) to be defensive coordinator. With the transition to the 3-4, and the lack of talent, he likely would have had similar results. Give Edwards a chance.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

The main problem I have with the Bills' stance on coaching is that even when our hires work out, we get guys who are solid but unspectacular (and presumably cost-efficient). But for guys like that to win it all, don't we need to have the most talented team, or close to it? Yes, every coach needs good players to win, but who on the Bills current staff (or Jauron's, or Mularkey's, or Greggo's) is capable of coming up with an offensive or defensive scheme to outfox a good coach with a good team? (And yes, I specified O or D to prevent three dozen wise guys from bringing up Bobby April.) Maybe I'm overreacting to the Jets win over the Pats, but you can't deny that Rex Ryan is a great defensive strategist. Sure he's got talented players, but he comes up with effective schemes to utilize those players. His D sometimes (not always) outplays more talented teams because of his gameplans. When was the last time the Bills did that on O or D? When we win, it's because we played better, not because the other team got outcoached. And since we have bad players, we usually play worse than the other team. It's very frustrating. I'm sick of hearing that these first-timers and nobodies on the coaching staff are "teachers." You know what "teacher" means? Cheap. What, every other team has position coaches who can't tell their players what the proper technique is? Get real. How about hiring guys who have been successful in their positions for NFL teams? No, we have to stick with George Edwards, because no one could coach those bums to be a good defense. Maybe not, but what awesome defensive plays did George Edwards draw up that decent players could take advantage of? Guh.