One space After a Period

HopsGuy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But think of the children!

lol, screw the children...what about all the mathmeticians throughout the ages who are collectively rolling over in their graves at the mere mention of rounding down pi! :lol:

It's two. End of story. I don't give a **** what Slate or anyone else says.

And for the record: a comma-separated list requires a comma before the final "and" (i.e. "A, B, and C", not "A, B and C"). And for words that begin with "H", you precede them with "an" ONLY IF the "h" is not pronounced...e.g. "an honor", but "a house" or "a history".

I don't give a **** what you say either. Its one.

Edited by BlueFire

I've always used one space. We're better-educated here in CT.

HA! Speak for yourself, I was taught the two space rule -- on one of those new fangled Smith Coronas. I'm not changing my whole word on the basis of this article. (Note the two spaces immediately preceding this sentence). And since we have already received a definitive ruling from DC Tom, I will continue to abhor you lazy, modern day 'one-spacers'.

AND I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY, I'M STILL A F%*$ING LEO!!

HA! Speak for yourself, I was taught the two space rule -- on one of those new fangled Smith Coronas. I'm not changing my whole word on the basis of this article. (Note the two spaces immediately preceding this sentence). And since we have already received a definitive ruling from DC Tom, I will continue to abhor you lazy, modern day 'one-spacers'.

Well put, and I'm almost willing to agree since I was taught the same. However, I need one of you software engineering experts (and I had to be schooled on the difference between a programmer and a software engineer) to let me know if using a one-space method is saving disk space. This will sway me.

AND I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY SAY, I'M STILL A F%*$ING LEO!!

I'm ambivalent to having become a Gemini. While being a great NASA program, it's definitely a much cooler response to "What's your sign?" than "Cancer". Good thing I was a grade schooler in the 70s when that was an actual pick-up line.

Well put, and I'm almost willing to agree since I was taught the same. However, I need one of you software engineering experts (and I had to be schooled on the difference between a programmer and a software engineer) to let me know if using a one-space method is saving disk space. This will sway me.

Yesitdoessavediskspacebutifthatsyourbasisforjudgementthenusingnospacesandnopunctuationisbyfaryourbestchoice

Yes and no. Each character is 1 byte. So if you have 1,000 sentences in your document, you'll save 999 bytes by using a single space instead of a double space after a period, and that's pretty much undetectable. However things aren't even that cut and dry because of the way things are stored on disk. If you have a 10k file, you're probably using at least 16k on the disk. The reason is that the filesystem doesn't allocate byte for byte what you need, it allocates the space clustered together. 8k (8000 bytes) chunks is usually the smallest you'll see nowadays. So both a 9k and 10k file will both use 16k on disk.

Now aren't you glad you asked? :D

This is getting ridiculous........First, Pluto is no longer a planet. Then, this movie comes out called Dilmma - and I always knew it to be spelled dilemna. In fact, I hear a lot of people pronounce the n........Then, I'm no longer a Gemini....Now, I was wrong all along with putting two spaces after the period. WTF!!

This is getting ridiculous........First, Pluto is no longer a planet. Then, this movie comes out called Dilmma - and I always knew it to be spelled dilemna. In fact, I hear a lot of people pronounce the n........Then, I'm no longer a Gemini....Now, I was wrong all along with putting two spaces after the period. WTF!!

It's really going to freak you out when I tell you that you didn't really just write that.

Your marriage license was never filed with the county. She's not legally your wife.

Your marriage license was never filed with the county. She's not legally your wife.

That joke was actually played on me, and I totally fell for it because I was married by a friend of mine. He put on a convincing face and told me he completely forgot to file the papers and that my marriage never happened.

...if only that had been true 0:)

PS I was just thinking about how my iphone texting works. If you hit two spaces, it automatically puts in the period. So, I think the 2 spaces is correct and current.

That joke was actually played on me, and I totally fell for it because I was married by a friend of mine. He put on a convincing face and told me he completely forgot to file the papers and that my marriage never happened.

There's a Taylor and Moore website out there for those who used to be fans of that show on 103.3, like I was...........I was listening to some of their bits and that was one of the ones - where friends would request them to punk their buddies. That one was really funny.

PS I was just thinking about how my iphone texting works. If you hit two spaces, it automatically puts in the period. So, I think the 2 spaces is correct and current.

There's a Taylor and Moore website out there for those who used to be fans of that show on 103.3, like I was...........I was listening to some of their bits and that was one of the ones - where friends would request them to punk their buddies. That one was really funny.

lol, it's pretty effective, cause I remember my stomach sinking like a rock when he told me

The iPhone correctly makes two spaces into a single space and period. Just like any publication since Gutenburg.

Two spaces is a rule taught by bad teachers. The same bad teacher who taught you that also said never start a sentence with and. And they were wrong on that too.

I know of a minister who was doing missionary work in Alaska long ago. More recently, someone else I know who was married by said minister tried to get the marriage license from the county she was married in, and the county insisted that they didn't have one on file. So she called the minister and asked him, and he responded "What? You have to send that in to the state?" Turns out the minister did something like 400 weddings in Alaska during his missionary work...basically, all the weddings in one collection of Inuit villages for three years.

So somewhere in Alaska, there's an entire town of Eskimos who've been living in sin for some 30 years or so.