Trades, FA, and the expiring CBA

NoSaint

Just a reminder - pending the new CBA, free agency may not start until AFTER the draft, and in that case player trades will also be off limits during and leading up to the draft. That includes player for player, or player for pick. When making suggestions, like trading Evans or for kolb or any other scheme please keep in mind this is a real possibility.

This will lead to us being able to go BPA in the draft and FA for the remaining holes. Likely a huge market to go after with draftees eating up some of the starting spots. Could be interesting.

Just a reminder - pending the new CBA, free agency may not start until AFTER the draft, and in that case player trades will also be off limits during and leading up to the draft. That includes player for player, or player for pick. When making suggestions, like trading Evans or for kolb or any other scheme please keep in mind this is a real possibility.

This will lead to us being able to go BPA in the draft and FA for the remaining holes. Likely a huge market to go after with draftees eating up some of the starting spots. Could be interesting.

Good post. As an aside, pick(s) for pick(s) trading for the draft is still ok.

Trading players for draft choices is fairly rare, unless the player has many years left on their contract at relatively low dollars.

Trading players for draft choices is fairly rare, unless the player has many years left on their contract at relatively low dollars.

Yup - but we have how many hair brained schemes to trade Evans for picks, or McGee or trade for someone with our picks. It's very unlikely to begin with but may be impossible and throw a huge wrench in the redskins dealing mcnabb or haynesworth - just as an example of two players otherwise on the block.

Not so true anymore. Yes, for a long time, this was the case. But a number of player for picks have happened in recent years, so it's not all that rare.

Moss, Lynch, Seymour, B. Marshall, Cromartie, B. Edwards. These are just some active trades for picks in our division.

It happens.

Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if it's possible to trade 2012 picks at this point? Given that there's not yet any provision for a 2012 draft, I would guess no.

Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if it's possible to trade 2012 picks at this point? Given that there's not yet any provision for a 2012 draft, I would guess no.

i havent specifically heard, but if i had to extrapolate i would say probably not. it would be especially tough when you dont know the provisions for the draft in 2012, should there be a lockout next season. will trading for a teams first rounder next year be early or late? ie can you predict based on the quality of the team as you normally can -- will there be a lottery -- will it be the same order as this year? the nhl did a lottery then snake if i remember correct. also, who knows if there will be a draft at all if there is a lockout. heck, even with a new cba in place there could be provisions about the draft such as a wage scale, limit on the length of rookie deals or something we havent even thought of that changes value -- truly would be trading for an unknown...

i havent specifically heard, but if i had to extrapolate i would say probably not. it would be especially tough when you dont know the provisions for the draft in 2012, should there be a lockout next season. will trading for a teams first rounder next year be early or late? ie can you predict based on the quality of the team as you normally can -- will there be a lottery -- will it be the same order as this year? the nhl did a lottery then snake if i remember correct. also, who knows if there will be a draft at all if there is a lockout. heck, even with a new cba in place there could be provisions about the draft such as a wage scale, limit on the length of rookie deals or something we havent even thought of that changes value -- truly would be trading for an unknown...

Yup. It seems unthinkable that there wouldn't be a draft, but plenty of sports leagues don't have drafts. It's just one part of the CBA. The NFL makes a ton of money off their draft, so it's pretty much a mortal lock that it comes back in some form, but beyond that, it's hard to say much. If the lockout lasts over 13-14 months, we probably won't have a 2012 draft at all.

Another interesting tidbit that pertains to draft order is that Andrew Luck, assuming he graduates, may be eligible for the supplemental draft. Regardless of what order is decided on for the regular draft (assuming there is one in 2012), the supplemental draft order is always chosen randomly. So the dude may have some control over where he goes, at least in the sense of having multiple options.

Yup. It seems unthinkable that there wouldn't be a draft, but plenty of sports leagues don't have drafts. It's just one part of the CBA. The NFL makes a ton of money off their draft, so it's pretty much a mortal lock that it comes back in some form, but beyond that, it's hard to say much. If the lockout lasts over 13-14 months, we probably won't have a 2012 draft at all.

Another interesting tidbit that pertains to draft order is that Andrew Luck, assuming he graduates, may be eligible for the supplemental draft. Regardless of what order is decided on for the regular draft (assuming there is one in 2012), the supplemental draft order is always chosen randomly. So the dude may have some control over where he goes, at least in the sense of having multiple options.

Please elaborate. The NBA, MLB, and NHL each have drafts. minor sports may not, but the money there isn't even close to the major sports leagues.

there will certainly be a draft at some point in the future but what it is may have serious changes, especially in 2012. I expect the only long term difference to be a trade of a rookie wage scale, for a reduction of contracts by a year -- that way if a player outperforms there slotting they will be able to see the veteran contract sooner. however if we dont even play a season in 2011--- who knows what the structure would be. player movement will be locked up until the cba is signed though, so if you want to trade, pull out your draft value chart and do some math because that looks like the only way its happening.

I wonder if the front office will call any other teams when trying to trade picks or if they will only deal with Seattle?

The Bills do not make calls they interfere with nap time. They do take calls however, and they return calls to teams if they leave messages on voicemail... eventually.