Toronto Star Article on Buffalo (City)

Yeah... I haven't read it yet... But a city (TOR) writing an article about the other city (BFLO) that was singlehandedly killed and made geographically irrelevant by the opening of the Seaway... The Seaway that MADE Toronto and killed BFLO. It used to always be the other way around when TOR was geographically irrelevant and everything went through BFLO to get to TOR AND THE MAIN POPULATION OF CANADA (S. ONT)... From the East Coast.

That leads me to my rant... We worry about the Great Lakes... The first thing they should do is NOT open the Seaway when the spring thaw comes... Close TOR off to the world.

Over-matched, over-shadowed? Huh? The rust-belt of the AMERICAN Great Lakes have been fighting with one-hand tied behind its back (the enviro issues with the US).

To make this fight fair and equitable... CANADA needs to play by the same rules. Shut down the Seaway and the upper Ontario water diversions (diversions that send water that would go normally to the arctic, since the 1940s sending it TO Lake Superior) for electrical (and other) power productions. Isolate the biggest population in Canada from the world and cut off their enviromentally damaging hydro productions to that population.

The Ogoki River is a river in the Thunder Bay and Cochrane Districts of Ontario.The river flows northeast from lakes west of Lake Nipigon to Ogoki, where it joins the Albany River which empties into James Bay. The river is 480 km in length. In 1943, the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario, now Ontario Power Generation, diverted a large part of the upper Ogoki to flow into Lake Nipigon and so to the Great Lakes. This diversion was intended to increase water flow at a hydroelectric plant at Niagara Falls, downstream of Lake Erie.

The Ogoki flows through Wabakimi Provincial Park and is used for canoeing and fishing.

The Ogoki Reservoir north of Lake Nipigon formed by a dam at Waboose Rapids is 70 km long and covers an area of approximately 150 square kilometres.

It is time "green in name only" Canada start playing by the same rules! Let's see who is over-matched without any legs up in the game. Last time I checked, it freezes way more harder in Canada than it does in the US... Let's see if power and products can get to market as cheaply without the leg up and constant US bashing.

[/rant-off]

Sorry Mill!

:D

Yeah... I haven't read it yet... But a city (TOR) writing an article about the other city (BFLO) that was singlehandedly killed and made geographically irrelevant by the opening of the Seaway... The Seaway that MADE Toronto and killed BFLO. It used to always be the other way around when TOR was geographically irrelevant and everything went through BFLO to get to TOR AND THE MAIN POPULATION OF CANADA (S. ONT)... From the East Coast.

That leads me to my rant... We worry about the Great Lakes... The first thing they should do is NOT open the Seaway when the spring thaw comes... Close TOR off to the world.

Over-matched, over-shadowed? Huh? The rust-belt of the AMERICAN Great Lakes have been fighting with one-hand tied behind its back (the enviro issues with the US).

To make this fight fair and equitable... CANADA needs to play by the same rules. Shut down the Seaway and the upper Ontario water diversions (diversions that send water that would go normally to the arctic, since the 1940s sending it TO Lake Superior) for electrical (and other) power productions. Isolate the biggest population in Canada from the world and cut off their enviromentally damaging hydro productions to that population.

The Ogoki River is a river in the Thunder Bay and Cochrane Districts of Ontario.The river flows northeast from lakes west of Lake Nipigon to Ogoki, where it joins the Albany River which empties into James Bay. The river is 480 km in length. In 1943, the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario, now Ontario Power Generation, diverted a large part of the upper Ogoki to flow into Lake Nipigon and so to the Great Lakes. This diversion was intended to increase water flow at a hydroelectric plant at Niagara Falls, downstream of Lake Erie.

The Ogoki flows through Wabakimi Provincial Park and is used for canoeing and fishing.

The Ogoki Reservoir north of Lake Nipigon formed by a dam at Waboose Rapids is 70 km long and covers an area of approximately 150 square kilometres.

It is time "green in name only" Canada start playing by the same rules! Let's see who is over-matched without any legs up in the game. Last time I checked, it freezes way more harder in Canada than it does in the US... Let's see if power and products can get to market as cheaply without the leg up and constant US bashing.

[/rant-off]

Sorry Mill!

:cry:

Speaking for the rest of Canada, we will trade you Toronto for Minneapolis, Fargo and Albany.

Toronto - it's like New York, but without the fun stuff.

Do all the politician in Albany come with the trade? If so............in a !@#$ing heartbeat.

Do all the politician in Albany come with the trade? If so............in a !@#$ing heartbeat.

No...just the land and the regular folk...and the Albany River Rats if they're still in the AHL.

You keep your politicians and we'll keep ours.

[/rant-off]

Sorry Mill!

Good lord, if you wrote all this before you read the article, I'm scared what you'll post after you read it.

He sees the world as it relates to the great lakes.

Yes I do... My world that pertains to me.

Unfortunately so does Canada... Where is the bulk of the Canadian population? Almost all live within a 100 miles of the US border and the bulk is in that part of Ontario. I am dead serious... WHAT made TOR killed BFLO... And we knew it as Americans back in the 1950s. As Americans, why do we always have to compete with one hand tied behind our backs?

The greatest thing that can happen to a place like BFLO is to realign the trade/shipping routes and close down the Seaway and the canals in the Chicago area (which means KILLING my own livelyhood)... And turn the Great Lakes into an intrA-basin area only.

Shut the northern corridor down waterwise from Gaspe through Montreal and to Lake Ontario... Make everything leave and come through states and the east coast... Instead of waterborne shipping heading north and the salties into the Great Lakes... Off load at the east coast and transfer it to Canada's main population through cities like BFLO. Restore places like BFLO to a break-in-bulk port/hub it was originally built to be. Protect the world's largest supply of freshwater and in the name of the enviro, have the largest bulk of the Canadian population at our mercy.

Just think how big that S.Ont region is... Make them come through us for their economic lievelyhood. They shouldn't have a low-cost water link to the world, that water-link is harming the world's largest supply of freshwater!

Good lord, if you wrote all this before you read the article, I'm scared what you'll post after you read it.

:lol: :lol: :blush: :blush:

I was thinking the same exact thing after I read the article... Why do you think I didn't want to read it until AFTER I POSTED first? Then, I couldn't add a rant in there! My posts are still relevant to what the orginal poster put in his topic line. I am glad he made it not really clear to what the article was specific about!:P

Speaking for the rest of Canada, we will trade you Toronto for Minneapolis, Fargo and Albany.

Toronto - it's like New York, but without the fun stuff.

Throw in sending Gary Bettman to the island of Elba... So places like Winnipeg and the Maritimes can have a NHL team and the NHL can stop the greedy six teams in Canada from hogging up the Canadian market share... It would also put the apathy in southern American hockey markets out of its misery!

I'm not sure everybody understands what's going on here. First, Donn Esmonde wrote this article the other day:

Esmonde's article criticial of Canadians

Then, the top link by the Toronto Star is a response to that.

I thought Esmonde's article was totally uncalled for and I don't blame the Star guy for writing what he did......It seemed the chief complaints of Esmonde would be Canadians cheering for the other team in the USA games, and tipping $2 on a $25 order.

I'm a big tipper and go overboard, but I can understand if you come from a country that doesn't do that. In all fairness somewhere in the 10% range I think was the standard for quite awhile. Like the Post guy alludes to, it seems to the words of a few bartenders, etc. that would cause Esmonde to write this. I usually like him and what he tried to do, but that article hurt our cause.