Marty talking about Buddy

bkc

Let's see. The next player taken was Tyson Alualu. He's started 15 games at DT and been very solid. 35 tackles and 3.5 sacks. Pretty darn good for a rookie DT, but then the Bills probably couldn't have used a guy to help clog the middle.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tysonalualu/situationalstats?id=ALU059326

Ever hear of Kyle Williams or Torrell Troup?

Obviously the media wasn't very impressed with Alualu as a #10 pick. Maybe, just maybe, it's a lot easier to tell who is going to be great AFTER the draft?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Bulaga or Anthony Davis, both of whom have developed into very good right tackles already.

Yes, there are many other rookies that have made more of a contribution than Spiller. I was just trying to illustrate that the challenge wasn't one by simply looking no further than the very next guy drafted. B-)

Ever hear of Kyle Williams of Torrell Troup?

Obviously the media wasn't very impressed with Alualu as a #10 pick. Maybe, just maybe, it's a lot easier to tell who is going to be great AFTER the draft?

Misfiring again, Robo. None of that has any bearing on Alualu being a more productive player this year. (BTW, that doesn't mean he is the better pick or that Spiller won't be good down the road.)

PS: Thank you, btw. The fact the Jaguars got more production out of a "reach" than the Bills did out of Spiller actually serves to undermine defense of the Spiller pick.

No one really called Spiller a reach at #9. either. Prior years you could make the arguement that both the Maybin and Whitner was reaches at where they were picked. Really couldn't say that this year. Did he work out as well as a typical #9 pick should? No, but lets see how he looks next year. He did show spots where he looked like a #9 pick, just not enough of them.

again anyone taking shots at the Spiller pick has to give a realistic name on who you wold have drafted at number 9

Ever hear of Kyle Williams or Torrell Troup?

PTR

The Bills could have traded down rather than take Spiller with the #8 pick yet they decided that taking the 'BPA' was the right move.

The Bills could have traded down

Really? What were the offers?

I think you mean they "might have been able to trade down." Or, "could have traded down if they would accept a bad deal."

No one really called Spiller a reach at #9. either. Prior years you could make the arguement that both the Maybin and Whitner was reaches at where they were picked. Really couldn't say that this year. Did he work out as well as a typical #9 pick should? No, but lets see how he looks next year. He did show spots where he looked like a #9 pick, just not enough of them.

Thats my point, he was the best player on the board by many accounts. I dont recall there being a player of equal caliber in a position of need being available, hence the CJ pick. Many very successful teams (Pats, Colts) follow this philosophy.

The Bills could have traded down rather than take Spiller with the #8 pick yet they decided that taking the 'BPA' was the right move.

That pick had trade partners, its very difficult to trade a top 10 pick, esp for more picks

Agreed Whitner was considered a major reach , but dickie j wanted a safety , the whole fan base wanted the N.t

Edited by bkc

That pick had trade partners, its very difficult to trade a top 10 pick, esp for more picks

Every trade up involves a trade down...they happen all the time. Wasn't there a trade last draft within a couple picks of #8?

Isn't Nix on record as saying he does not do draft day trades?

Really? What were the offers?

I think you mean they "might have been able to trade down." Or, "could have traded down if they would accept a bad deal."

Well, you know that it took the Bills 10-15 seconds for the sprinter to deliver their pick up to the podium of course, so how many phone calls do you think they took before writing Spiller's name on the card and handing it to the runner?

Or Bulaga or Anthony Davis, both of whom have developed into very good right tackles already.

I would love to have seen this board if they drafted a right tackle at #9. We're talking core meltdown. I am not saying I think it's a bad idea, and if they had to take Carimi at #9 and he projected at RT, I'd be totally fine with it presuming he provided a big boost to the run game.

If you get a very good player, it really doesn't matter where he is projected or where the idiot talking heads say he should go. If you looked at Andre Reed's NFL stats and told me this was a guy who was drafted in the top 5/was top 5 talent, I wouldn't know the better and I'd say that his production lined up with that slot. That draft produced some great and very good ones, but surely Andre's career was one of the very best out of that class.

That they got him in the fourth is a sign of the kind of deep drafting that you hope this team will continue to embrace in the future. Moats looks like he could be another pick like that, though I won't be voting him to the Pro Bowl yet.

Thats my point, he was the best player on the board by many accounts. I dont recall there being a player of equal caliber in a position of need being available, hence the CJ pick. Many very successful teams (Pats, Colts) follow this philosophy.

yep ,not to many teams trading into the top 10 unless they are chasing a qb

Well, you know that it took the Bills 10-15 seconds for the sprinter to deliver their pick up to the podium of course, so how many phone calls do you think they took before writing Spiller's name on the card and handing it to the runner?

Yes and that bothers me. Take some time, even if it's just cosmetic.

But the truth is, the Bills could have been working offers for days. They knew they had the #9 pick. I would expect they took many calls, just not at that moment on draft day.

Yes and that bothers me. Take some time, even if it's just cosmetic.

But the truth is, the Bills could have been working offers for days. They knew they had the #9 pick. I would expect they took many calls, just not at that moment on draft day.

I'm sure. And the truth is, if Spiller was the very best player on anyone's board at that point, but if the teams looking at a RB didn't see too many differences between him and Best, they'd have to make the call: is Spiller so much better than Best that he's worth giving up at least a third-rounder?

Think about it on those terms.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall