A WIN THIS WEEK WOULD BE DEVISTATING!!!!!

ALLEN1QB

maybe this

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2416

The knock on Carimi is that he may not be a true NFL left tackle. In Wisconsin's run-heavy offense, he has been very good. But on an NFL team, most of which are balanced, his skill set is best suited for right tackle. Left tackles need good footwork and lateral agility, two attributes Carimi is lacking in. Carimi projects as a second round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

http://nflmocks.com/2010/05/03/2011-scouting-report-gabe-carimi-wisconsin/

Carimi projects as a left tackle but the question marks about his athleticism could force a move to the right side. Teams are hesitant to spend a high draft pick on a right tackle.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011gcarimi.php

Carimi will play in the NFL for some team and start at right tackle.

http://newerascouting.com/2010/gabe-carimi-scouting-report/

He’s a power tackle best suited for the right side of the line. Carimi struggles some against speed rushers, but has good strength to anchor and seal.

This one written by a former NFL scout

These are different takes than the local puff piece you cited. It sounds like Carimi will be a very good NFL RT.

The draft prognosticators are wrong all the time. I repeat, ALL THE TIME. Besides, if Carimi ends up being a GREAT RT, he'll be worth a #9 pick, IMO.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The draft prognosticators are wrong all the time. I repeat, ALL THE TIME. Besides, if Carimi ends up being a GREAT RT, he'll be worth a #9 pick, IMO.

Yes they are, these articles are written by former personnel evaluators not a TV talking head like McShay.

And usually they arent wrong when talking about whether a guy is even suited to play a position.

Just watch and see how Carimi gets graded as a RT as the draft moves closer. btw you only take LT with a top 10 pick.

Yes they are, these articles are written by former personnel evaluators not a TV talking head like McShay.

And usually they arent wrong when talking about whether a guy is even suited to play a position.

Just watch and see how Carimi gets graded as a RT as the draft moves closer. btw you only take LT with a top 10 pick.

First, plenty of evaluators thought Mike Williams was suited to play LT - and a definite can't miss. That opinion (that a guy responsible for a lefty's blind side should be able to make the switch) has since changed. There are fewer constants in this game than you think. If he had been a great RT at #5, that would have been better than what actually resulted for the Bills. Going with the prognosticator boards makes you a winner in the way that it's made the Lions and Browns winners - in April, not in January.

RE: Carimi: That's the mentality that gets you in trouble and has you picking guys like Maybin at #11 because you really NEED a DE and those are supposedly OK to take in the top-10/15. I'd take Nick Mangold with a top 10 pick and I don't think I'm alone.

BTW Walter Football just blows. I can't believe how wrong they are. When they're right it's more of a blind squirrel situation than any proof of their genius.

That's the mentality that gets you in trouble and has you picking guys like Maybin at #11 because you really NEED a DE and those are supposedly OK to take in the top-10/15. I'd take Nick Mangold with a top 10 pick and I don't think I'm alone.

Good franchises draft talent, not need. They also find talent no matter where they pick. That's why they remain contenders. Example: Pittsburgh.

Bad franchises, on the other hand, draft need and can't find talent anywhere. That's why they perenially suck. Example: Detroit.

That's why, if draft position matters, it's also irrelevent. Five spots' difference to a good front office isn't going to make a bit of difference, because they're more likely to find a quality player at the lower spot. Five spots' difference to a bad fromt office isn't going to make a bit of difference, because they're not likely to find a quality player at either spot.

And hell...the smartest thing to do this year is probably to trade the first-round pick for 2012-13 picks they can use after the new CBA's in place. I'd gladly give up the 4th and 36th picks in '11 for an extra two first- and a third-rounder in '12.

First, plenty of evaluators thought Mike Williams was suited to play LT - and a definite can't miss. That opinion (that a guy responsible for a lefty's blind side should be able to make the switch) has since changed. There are fewer constants in this game than you think. If he had been a great RT at #5, that would have been better than what actually resulted for the Bills. Going with the prognosticator boards makes you a winner in the way that it's made the Lions and Browns winners - in April, not in January.

RE: Carimi: That's the mentality that gets you in trouble and has you picking guys like Maybin at #11 because you really NEED a DE and those are supposedly OK to take in the top-10/15. I'd take Nick Mangold with a top 10 pick and I don't think I'm alone.

BTW Walter Football just blows. I can't believe how wrong they are. When they're right it's more of a blind squirrel situation than any proof of their genius.

I concur that Walter Football is clueless.

FFLToolbox isn't bad, but a lot of that stuff is rehashed from other sites.

http://www.nfldraft101.com/ seems to skip to a beat of their own drummer and waits until the college year is over to put together profiles instead of regurgitating the player's High School profile, to their Freshman profile, to their Sophomore profile to their Junior Profile which happens on a lot of the "scouting" sites.

Two Examples are Gabe Carimi and Ryan Mallet of the regurgitation.

If you look at their High School profiles you can see the same terms used word for word, as if playing elite college football with elite coaching hasn't had any effect on their performance over the last 3-4 years.

I watched 6 Arkansas games this season and the "accuracy" knock on Mallet doesn't ring true to my eyes. I actually think Luck has more accuracy issues than Mallet. With my own eyes I've seen Luck throw behind receivers or hit them where they can't run after the catch very often. I'm not saying Mallet is a better prospect I'm just saying many of these site rehash others reports instead of doing any scouting themselves.

Edited by Why So Serious?

maybe this

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2416

The knock on Carimi is that he may not be a true NFL left tackle. In Wisconsin's run-heavy offense, he has been very good. But on an NFL team, most of which are balanced, his skill set is best suited for right tackle. Left tackles need good footwork and lateral agility, two attributes Carimi is lacking in. Carimi projects as a second round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

http://nflmocks.com/2010/05/03/2011-scouting-report-gabe-carimi-wisconsin/

Carimi projects as a left tackle but the question marks about his athleticism could force a move to the right side. Teams are hesitant to spend a high draft pick on a right tackle.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011gcarimi.php

Carimi will play in the NFL for some team and start at right tackle.

http://newerascouting.com/2010/gabe-carimi-scouting-report/

He’s a power tackle best suited for the right side of the line. Carimi struggles some against speed rushers, but has good strength to anchor and seal.

This one written by a former NFL scout

These are different takes than the local puff piece you cited. It sounds like Carimi will be a very good NFL RT.

:lol:

No news there - I've seen every one of those 'puff-pieces' last Spring when they were written (some even earlier) before Carimi's Outland Trophy winning 2010 season.

But I am little surprised that you'd discount as 'puff' the remarks of a guy that'll be playing against Carimi in the Rose Bowl (Cory Grant), or a team-mate (Moffitt) that's played alongside Carimi for 4 seasons.

BTW - Matt Miller is not a former NFL scout (though his internet site would lead you to believe otherwise). He's an internet blogger, small-time coach, and big-time fan. That's all he is. (In fact, much of what he wrote in the piece you linked looked strangely familiar - I think he may have 'lifted' much of it from other bloggers' ramblings.) Matt McGuire, Jon Dove, and Matt De Lima are even less qualified to render opinions. And here's another news flash for you - any 14-year-old can put that crap up on the 'net (and they often do).

Even if those guys actually had the credentials you mistakenly seem to think they possess, are you gullible enough to think that as long as a guy used to be an NFL scout, he must be right? (If so, then I guess Modrak is safe for another 10 years! :w00t: )

But hey - if you want to take what those guys write and think it's gospel, then at least now I know not to take you very seriously.

Edited by The Senator

:w00t:

You mean like THIS guy???

Matt De Lima (Fantasy Football Writer since 2010) - Matt is a football nut. He is a published sportswriter who contributes to 4for4.com, ThePigskinDoctors.com, Fantasy-Info.com, Examiner.com and many other sites, including FFToolbox. He graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in English. GO HOKIES! (link)

Matthew De Lima

post-2970-087741700 1293649814_thumb.jpg

:w00t:

You mean like THIS guy???

Matt De Lima (Fantasy Football Writer since 2010) - Matt is a football nut. He is a published sportswriter who contributes to 4for4.com, ThePigskinDoctors.com, Fantasy-Info.com, Examiner.com and many other sites, including FFToolbox. He graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in English. GO HOKIES! (link)

Matthew De Lima

or the guy who was an NFL scout for 10 years.

or the guy who was an NFL scout for 10 years.

Which one is that? Do tell. Please.

FYI - none of those guys was ever an NFL scout...

Matt Miller is the owner of New Era Scouting and the operator of MockingtheDraft.com. Miller has been scouting the draft and football players since 1997 at various levels from high school to professional football. Matt has a degree in Business Law from Missouri Southern University and currently works in marketing and development.

Jon Dove (Site Director/Director of Scouting/Lead Writer) - When it comes to the NFL Draft Jon is a jack of all trades. Here at NFL Mocks he takes the lead on all scouting related material, NFL related information, and college football news and notes. Jon has been heavily involved with covering the NFL draft for a number of years. Jon has completed a scouting training course run by the national football post’s Wes Bunting. He has written for mockingthedraft.com, midwayillustrated.com, profootballfocus.com, and fantasydc.com.

Matt McGuire has been a college football and NFL Draft Analyst for WalterFootball.com since 2007. His mock draft is one of the most popular on the Internet. McGuire writes scouting reports on prospects, projects the Draft, provides NFL Draft theory, and brings a unique mindset to the table. He is employed by Walter Cherepinsky, the owner and founder of WalterFootball.com

Matt De Lima (Fantasy Football Writer since 2010) - Matt is a football nut. He is a published sportswriter who contributes to 4for4.com, ThePigskinDoctors.com, Fantasy-Info.com, Examiner.com and many other sites, including FFToolbox. He graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in English. GO HOKIES!

Edited by The Senator

Disagree. The Bills need some confidence and momentum going into the offseason. The Bills drafting is more about getting the right player...not about having the higher draft position to pick some player Modrak likes despite the obvious reach.

MOMENTUM!!!!!!!!!!!! Take a look back at week 17 last year when we destroyed the Colts what kind of MOMENTUM did that give us this year!!!!!!!! Ha Ha 0-8!!!!!!!!!! give me a break. Go ahead and root for them to win LOL

Play the damn game and win. It's football and you don't flip a switch with a pro athelete to "don't try." Don't assume all the other teams we are in a so-called competition for a top three pick are going to tank either. At bottom, the notion of play to lose is ridiculous as is this thread.

There is no rational argument for beating the Jets back-ups just so we drop 5 spots. We should lose.

Why do you think the Jets will be playing their backups?

Is is because you think the Jets have no interest in getting a playoff bye-week, or because you think they don't care at all about positive momentum and a possible 2-game losing streak (which would make 4 losses in their last 5 games) going into the playoffs?

(Personally, I think the Bills should try giving playing time to some backups - notably Brian Brohm - but I still want them to win.)

Play the damn game and win. It's football and you don't flip a switch with a pro athelete to "don't try." Don't assume all the other teams we are in a so-called competition for a top three pick are going to tank either. At bottom, the notion of play to lose is ridiculous as is this thread.

Exactly.

Which one is that? Do tell. Please.

FYI - none of those guys was ever an NFL scout...

Matt Miller is the owner of New Era Scouting and the operator of MockingtheDraft.com. Miller has been scouting the draft and football players since 1997 at various levels from high school to professional football. Matt has a degree in Business Law from Missouri Southern University and currently works in marketing and development.

Jon Dove (Site Director/Director of Scouting/Lead Writer) - When it comes to the NFL Draft Jon is a jack of all trades. Here at NFL Mocks he takes the lead on all scouting related material, NFL related information, and college football news and notes. Jon has been heavily involved with covering the NFL draft for a number of years. Jon has completed a scouting training course run by the national football post’s Wes Bunting. He has written for mockingthedraft.com, midwayillustrated.com, profootballfocus.com, and fantasydc.com.

Matt McGuire has been a college football and NFL Draft Analyst for WalterFootball.com since 2007. His mock draft is one of the most popular on the Internet. McGuire writes scouting reports on prospects, projects the Draft, provides NFL Draft theory, and brings a unique mindset to the table. He is employed by Walter Cherepinsky, the owner and founder of WalterFootball.com

Matt De Lima (Fantasy Football Writer since 2010) - Matt is a football nut. He is a published sportswriter who contributes to 4for4.com, ThePigskinDoctors.com, Fantasy-Info.com, Examiner.com and many other sites, including FFToolbox. He graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in English. GO HOKIES!

Matt Miller was an NFL scout which is why you were lead to believe so. 1st paragraph. http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/5/19/520528/scouting-the-draft-with-ma

Since then I have worked as a scout for NFL teams, have been credentialed to the NFL Draft, Senior Bowl, NFL Scouting Combine and numerous schools across the Nation.

safe to say he has some idea what he's talking about.

So before going off on another one of your lectures you should look into things. Maybe you have which is why you havent posted anything saying Carimi is gonna be a LT? im not sure, other than that you are very quick to jump the gun and use smiley faces in your posts.

So all sarcasm aside, im not saying he or anyone ive linked to are the "gospel" but merely that Carimi is not really seen as a LT in the NFL by at least one NFL scout and several other sites. Could be wrong, but im pretty sure no one was saying these things about Jake Long when he came out, or Thomas

Edited by K Gun Special

Matt Miller was an NFL scout which is why you were lead to believe so. 1st paragraph. http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/5/19/520528/scouting-the-draft-with-ma

Since then I have worked as a scout for NFL teams, have been credentialed to the NFL Draft, Senior Bowl, NFL Scouting Combine and numerous schools across the Nation.

safe to say he has some idea what he's talking about.

So before going off on another one of your lectures you should look into things. Maybe you have which is why you havent posted anything saying Carimi is gonna be a LT? im not sure, other than that you are very quick to jump the gun and use smiley faces in your posts.

So all sarcasm aside, im not saying he or anyone ive linked to are the "gospel" but merely that Carimi is not really seen as a LT in the NFL by at least one NFL scout and several other sites. Could be wrong, but im pretty sure no one was saying these things about Jake Long when he came out, or Thomas

My friend, it is you that ' should look into things ' before ' going off ' - as I tried to enlighten you, Matt Miller would certainly have you think he was an NFL scout.

Let me try to help - I have been ' scouting ' future NFL players for some time myself. Therefore, I guess I'm also an NFL scout. (Only, I'm not.)

Here's your...ahem...NFL Scout Matt Miller -

Matt Miller - Linked In

Does that sound anything like a 10-year NFL scout to you? Care to advise me more about ' looking into things '?

If the Joplin Crusaders (where Matt coached special teams and helped out with recruiting for 2 years) are an NFL franchise that I haven't heard of, then yes - your Miller is a former NFL Scout. Otherwise, he graduated from college somewhere in southern Missouri in 2006 with a degree in business law - and his specialties, as he himself lists them, are " social networking, NFL Draft columnist, football scouting, football coaching "

Here's another ' NFL Scout ' you can cite...

Link - Gabe Carimi

(Hey, kid says he's an ' NFL Draft Scout ' - so he must be right about Carimi, yes?)

Try looking at some better sites, or look at some film, or read some articles by knowledgeable reporters who actually watch Carimi (or any other NFL draft prospect that interests you) week after week, year after year...

Carimi is a potential top-10 pick because of his prototypical size, excellent athleticism and the importance placed on the left tackle position. NFL offensive line coaches won't like the way he bends at the waist and the number of plays he ends up on the ground, but will ask their general managers to take on a chance on his talent because he could be a long-time NFL starter...

Pass blocking: Has the elite agility and nimble feet to protect the quarterback's blindside. Very difficult to turn the corner against because of his lateral movement and solid footwork. Also protects the inside lane well.

Run blocking: Known as an athletic pass protector, but is a strong blocker for the Badger run game. Has strong upper and lower body builds despite his height. Plays with leverage against stout defensive ends and tackles on the edge, can get under their pads and churn his legs to move them down or off the line.

Link - CBS Sports-Carimi

Link - NFL Draft Scout-Carimi

Edited by The Senator

I will NEVER

I repeat NEVER

DID I SAY NEVER .......?????

Root for the Jets.....

I will be there Sunday (Just wish we could have knocked them out of the playoffs - First the Fish out then the Jets out would have been heaven)

I dont care what pick we get ....

Play to win every Sunday.

I did that in beer league softball (no wins or undefeated)

PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!! (Thanks Herm!)

Edited by billsfan960