I want Cam Newton

buffalo_bills

Didn't we learn anything from the Maybin draft? One year college wonders are just a bust. I'm not saying Newton is not exciting to watch but, why would you bench Fitz and plug in a kid who more than likely cant read a pro D. yea, ha can run. So what! We finally got a QB who can keep our O in the game and have a shot at winning and you all want to just get rid of him. We need a middle LB like P Willie in SF! Poz is ok. We need someone who strikes feer in the eyes of aponenets. If we don't focus on the D next year were doomed again. JMO

No one said bench Fitz! We sit newton for a couple years and then see what happens.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a real bad idea :thumbsup:

Die Hard! Hello!

I haven't seen much of Cam Newton.

Maybe I'm wrong, it seems one thing that distinguishes QB who "make the step" to the NFL (Ryan, Manning, Brady) from those who flame out (Leaf, Russell, Young), is the strength of their desire to compete and improve, coupled with mental toughness and sufficient intelligence.

If you agree, do you think Newton has these qualities?

Also would love to know your take on the Bills season.

It seems like overall perception has shifted from them being walk-overs, "worst team in the NFL", to "scrappy".

I also hear a lot of team-talk.

How far do you think we are from where we need to go?

Not really. He wasn’t asked the question straight up. He actually went out of his way to say how smart the kid is when it comes to defensive football. He talked about his football IQ like it was superior to his athletic ability.

I was never a fan of drafting Newton until now. Im not sure if he will like Buffalo or not (prob not) but if he is a player we should grab him. I actually do have confidence in Buddy Chan being able to assess a QBs mind. They knew to go after Tebow and to stay away from Clausen when most everyone was leaning the other way, and the only explanation would be those two guys mental understanding of the game.

PS Newtons arm is not stronger than Tebow whoever said that. You may not like Tebow but the dude throws lazers. He had some throws in the Houston game (60+ yarders on a frozen rope while rolling out) that only Vick or the 1998 Farve could have made. Even I was surprised he could do that. Newtons is not weak, but Tebow is in the top 1% in terms of arm strength.

A lot of people talk about how Tebow has a strong arm, but I don't buy it. Long passes tend to turn into ducks on him and he seems to have to loft anything over 20 yards. Maybe it's just his bad mechanics, but Ive always chalked up throwing a bad deep ball to a lack of arm strength. Fwiw, in ESPN's pre draft breakdown they said Tebow had good nor elite arm strength and graded his arm strength as being in the second tier.

Edited by DC Grid

So where do you get this bullsh*t from? If you don't want him, that's fine. But why the bullsh*t comparison??

Obviously Cam doesn't have the same mechanical problems VY did coming out, and he has offield issues unlike VY when he came out of college, but statistically the comparison isn't crazy.

Both are physically large QBs who are mobile and known for leading their teams to big victories. Both played in the BCS championship in their 3rd year of eligibility, and their stats are below:

VY 3,036 yards, 26 TDs, 10 ints, 1,050 rush yards, 6.8 avg, 12 TDs.

Cam 2,589 yards, 28 Tds, 6 ints, 1,409 rush yards, 5.8 avg, 20 TDs.

How could you ever compare two completely different qbs? What basis could there possibly be?

A lot of people talk about how Tebow has a strong arm, but I don't buy it. Long passes tend to turn into ducks on him and he seems to have to loft anything over 20 yards. Maybe it's just his bad mechanics, but Ive always chalked up throwing a bad deep ball to a lack of arm strength. Fwiw, in ESPN's pre draft breakdown they said Tebow had good nor elite arm strength and graded his arm strength as being in the second tier.

Tebow throws a very good deep ball, actually his best passes are always deep balls.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010122609/2010/REG16/texans@broncos#tab:watch

He has some sweet throws there, mainly the second half of the video. The one where he is falling abckwards is very impressive. Also check out the video with him miced up on the main page, its pretty cool. at the end of the game, he runs to his coach and says "no one else carries teh ball here" Then goes to the huddle, calls a QB run play, and guarantees they score/win the game. Then he proceeds to score on the enxt play - really cool.

I do not want to see any QB drafted by us in the first round. We need LBs and DL first.

I totally agree, but what if we get our defense right and Fitz ends up not being the answer at QB and he's say 30 or 31? Then you're no where again. I think we have to accomplish both somehow. We have to make sure our QB of the future is ready to go at the same time our defense comes together.

No college Qb can yet read an NFL defense.

Newton won't be available in the 2nd round unless he completely bombs in the BCS game.

Then forget him. Mobile QBs in the cold and snow don't add much. Not that I am a fan of how the Steelers play, but that is the model for the Bills. Boring, run the ball and play defense. Boring, but in November and December, thats how you win.

This kid is gonna be special. I've watched about 5 Auburn games, and this kid can run, and throw, and hes a winner. All this off-field issues are being blown out of proportion. Some of you may/may not want him, but im a big fan. Thoughts?

I agree with you. I have watched him as well and I can't wait to see him against Oregon and at the combine. Newton is a special player and he is going to be a great NFL player barring injury. His throwing motion is unflawed. His arm is strong and accurate. Athletically there is no one like him in football. Faster than Tebow and is strong like Rothlesberger, bigger than Vick, more of a leader than Vince Young.

Edited by Trader

Then forget him. Mobile QBs in the cold and snow don't add much. Not that I am a fan of how the Steelers play, but that is the model for the Bills. Boring, run the ball and play defense. Boring, but in November and December, thats how you win.

Not true. First, the "cold and snow" only comes into play maybe 2 games a year, even in Buffalo. Second, if you don't have a solid passing game, you can't score.

The Steelers and the Bills have about the same yards per game on the ground. Despite an incredibly easy schedule, the Steelers have 2 quality wins (one came in week one). They need a new formula.

The SB will be fought over by two teams that have solid D and throw the ball.