My Christmas present

DaGimp

Ok, my wife got me an electric guitar for Christmas. I've really wanted to learn to play one and now I got one. I'm looking for all the expert musicians on TBD to let me know the best way to learn to play. I'm talking ground up with no musical background or ability. Can't wait for all the sarcastic comments but I hope I get a few good suggestions.

Ok, my wife got me an electric guitar for Christmas. I've really wanted to learn to play one and now I got one. I'm looking for all the expert musicians on TBD to let me know the best way to learn to play. I'm talking ground up with no musical background or ability. Can't wait for all the sarcastic comments but I hope I get a few good suggestions.

I would start by learning basic chords before you think you'll be able to jam like Jimi Hendrix. A lot of sites, like ultimate guitar, have chords for songs, which include pictures of "chord diagrams" (i.e., which will show you where to place your fingers).

i think there are enough aspiring guitar players on this site that you will get some awesome advice. i doubt you will get much sarcasm....good luck....

The dummy books are probably fine. There are lots of websites with free or very inexpensive (guitartricks.com) online lessons.

The real trick is probably to look to some music you like as guide. Shoot lower than say Eddie Van Halen Eruption solos for starters. Maybe you like, say, the Beatles. Or the Stones. Or Green Day. Whatever. Pick a song by them that seems kind of not too crazy with wicked guitar.

Then, go to

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

There is a search box there. Type in the name of the song. I'll choose one that I know is one of my first super-beinnger songs, the Beatles Eleanor Rigby.

Up pops this list:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?value=eleanor+rigby&search_type=title

For beginner, skip the ones labeled "tab" as they may be more accurate but are also likely much harder. Also skip the ones labaled "guitar pro" or "power tab" as they require you to download a player to read (I prefer these but for a beginner, skip them). Instead find "chords" songs. Pick one with a lot of stars so you have a chance that it's right. HEre's one for Eleanor Rigby that works.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/beatles/eleanor_rigby_ver2_crd.htm

The file you open is someone's interpretation of how a song goes. The good ones for beginners have song lines with the chords positioned above the line. The location of the chord name "A" or "Em" or "C" may not be right above the word that you'd play it over because those files are old. But the chords are generally right. You can see the chords on great files by hovering your mouse over them or clicking "show chord diagrams" and learning how to read the tablature-written chords (which if you find it confusing is SUPER easy and google can explain tablature to you in 2 seconds).

Once you have the chords, words, and song...you play it out. That part takes practice and patience. Eleanor Rigby is easy because you can just strum the chord on every quarter note (if you don't know what that means, imagine or listen to the song and concentrate on the pulsing violin at the beginning...that's the sound you can recreate on the guitar...and those are quarter notes).

There is a lot to learn but very little needed to get started. Everyone will say the same thing: You need to play play play. It's a clumsy instrument at first and can be hard to get to learn but pick easy songs that you like as starters and you can play music before long.

If you want a few links to songs you might like, give us an idea of what music you like. Eleanor Rigby is a beauty for Beatles people because it can be broken down to almost stupidly simple levels and still sounds great. Not all songs are like that but every band has a few you can do that with.

Wow, great help already, thanks! I'm sort of doing that now. What I would love to play is stuff by GnR and Metallica. But stuff looks intimidating right now. I've starting playing Roadhouse Blues and this seem a little more friendly. I'm considering getting some real lessons from local guitar players.

Wow, great help already, thanks! I'm sort of doing that now. What I would love to play is stuff by GnR and Metallica. But stuff looks intimidating right now. I've starting playing Roadhouse Blues and this seem a little more friendly. I'm considering getting some real lessons from local guitar players.

Part fo the battle early on is to not aim too high. Metallica will not be playable beginning to end for you for a long time nor will GnR but you can make those work.

Sweet Child of Mine is a nice easy one to strum if you ignore the solos.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/g/guns_n_roses/sweet_child_o_mine_acoustic_crd.htm

Also, the Intro to Enter Sandman is not that hard and you should be able to pick it up quickly.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/enter_sandman_tab.htm

There are some good youtube videos explaining how to play Enter Sandman. Just search for Enter Sandman guitar lesson and pick one that seems easy to follow. Actually lots of great youtube guitar lessons. I often go there when I feel confused. This guy is teaching for beginners (note that at a couple points, he plays differently than the written music but both sound good to me...you will get used to seeing different interpretations of music...just pick the one that feels good to you).

Edited by Peace

If you're interested in becoming a lifetime poor to borderline mediocre guitar player, I can give you some tips. Really, just get good at keeping the thing in tune (if you don't have one already, pick up a chromatic tuner for about $15 to $20).

Then, just have fun and explore some of the resources already mentioned, according to your own tastes.

Your wife must be pretty cool.

Edited by gringo starr

If you're interested in becoming a lifetime poor to borderline mediocre guitar player, I can give you some tips. Really, just get good at keeping the thing in tune (if you don't have one already, pick up a chromatic tuner for about $15 to $20).

Then, just have fun and explore some of the resources already mentioned, according to your own tastes.

Your wife must be pretty cool.

Being in tune is huge. I use an iphone app to tune my guitar.

Easy just copy

Trucks is barely moving, makes it easy to see his technique. But the sound is mind boggling.

For what it's worth, here are Captain Beefheart's 10 Commandments of Guitar Playing:

1. Listen to the birds.

That's where all the music comes from. Birds know everything about how it should sound and where that sound should come from. And watch hummingbirds. They fly really fast, but a lot of times they aren't going anywhere.

2. Your guitar is not really a guitar Your guitar is a divining rod.

Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over. A guitar is also a fishing rod. If you're good, you'll land a big one.

3. Practice in front of a bush

Wait until the moon is out, then go outside, eat a multi-grained bread and play your guitar to a bush. If the bush dosen't shake, eat another piece of bread.

4. Walk with the devil

Old Delta blues players referred to guitar amplifiers as the "devil box." And they were right. You have to be an equal opportunity employer in terms of who you're bringing over from the other side. Electricity attracts devils and demons. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

5. If you're guilty of thinking, you're out

If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something that is fur bearing.

6. Never point your guitar at anyone

Your instrument has more clout than lightning. Just hit a big chord then run outside to hear it. But make sure you are not standing in an open field.

7. Always carry a church key

That's your key-man clause. Like One String Sam. He's one. He was a Detroit street musician who played in the fifties on a homemade instrument. His song "I Need a Hundred Dollars" is warm pie. Another key to the church is Hubert Sumlin, Howlin' Wolf's guitar player. He just stands there like the Statue of Liberty-making you want to look up her dress the whole time to see how he's doing it.

8. Don't wipe the sweat off your instrument

You need that stink on there. Then you have to get that stink onto your music.

9. Keep your guitar in a dark place

When you're not playing your guitar, cover it and keep it in a dark place. If you don't play your guitar for more than a day, be sure you put a saucer of water in with it.

10. You gotta have a hood for your engine

Keep that hat on. A hat is a pressure cooker. If you have a roof on your house, the hot air can't escape. Even a lima bean has to have a piece of wet paper around it to make it grow.